Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Old Mar 4, 20, 5:52 am
  #1  
formerly vienna-resident
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montepulciano, Tuscany
Posts: 835
Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Surprised that there isn't a thread on this yet. With many companies now prohibiting business travel worldwide and tourism in many parts of the world at standstill, there are bound to be some consequences on the industry.

In Italy, we are seeing a wave of cancellations all the way into summer. Americans have stopped coming altogether. Luxury hotels in Milan, Venice and even Florence are empty. Seasonal properties consider delaying their openings. It will be weeks before we are even at the peak of the epidemic, and then it will be even more weeks for the situation to return to normal. This is an unprecedented situation with no end in sight.

How does Covid-19 impact your travel plans?
livefromtuscany is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 6:40 am
  #2  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,410
I had a trip planned for Portugal for Friday but have canceled it. Iím not terribly afraid of getting Covid19 but my biggest fears are : travel disruptions (ie flight cancellations) and quickly escalating cases (like what happened in Italy) which would necessitate self quarantine on the return. Also fear that Trump would do something stupid to our borders.

so we planned a last minute trip. I had considered twin farms but we were there last year. Blackberry farm sold out. Blackberry mountain seems too $$$$ for what it is. So we are going to Montreal. FS super cheap this time of year. Still trying to finish the trip off; thinking a couple nights at Manoir Hovey relaxing. Gonna get some good parka time in. I really wanted to be close enough that I could hop in a car and get home.

there are I bet many good travel deals to be had out there. Hopefully when the dust settles they will still be available!

fdw
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 7:11 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
I had a trip planned for Portugal for Friday but have canceled it. Iím not terribly afraid of getting Covid19 but my biggest fears are : travel disruptions (ie flight cancellations) and quickly escalating cases (like what happened in Italy) which would necessitate self quarantine on the return. Also fear that Trump would do something stupid to our borders.

so we planned a last minute trip. I had considered twin farms but we were there last year. Blackberry farm sold out. Blackberry mountain seems too $$$$ for what it is. So we are going to Montreal. FS super cheap this time of year. Still trying to finish the trip off; thinking a couple nights at Manoir Hovey relaxing. Gonna get some good parka time in. I really wanted to be close enough that I could hop in a car and get home.

there are I bet many good travel deals to be had out there. Hopefully when the dust settles they will still be available!

fdw
Sounds like a nice plan but I'm curious...as you say if Trump does something stupid with the borders last time I checked Canada is still another country so what would you do?
Fly_IAD is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 9:06 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,500
I have cancelled a trip in May (Hong Kong/Singapore/Borobodur/Komodo Islands/Kuala Lumpur/Jakarta), a June trip to Guangzhou, and I am close to cancelling Paris/St. Moritz this month. I am also on the fence re going to Netherlands for a hockey tournament in Late March. Things happen so quickly, that it's a day to day update. As of now, not planning to cancel June trips yet, but you never know, fluid situation. Keeping June-Sept on the books for now, but trimming Japan out of July.
Boraxo likes this.
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 9:31 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,787
Cancelled a 25-person birthday party at Aman Venice that was supposed to occur 3 weeks from now. Incredibly disappointing but couldn't risk the health concerns (a lot of 70+ guests) and an extended quarantine.
callmedtop is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 9:40 am
  #6  
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,410
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD View Post
Sounds like a nice plan but I'm curious...as you say if Trump does something stupid with the borders last time I checked Canada is still another country so what would you do?
Iím thinking that I would get at least some notice and can drive across the border... rearranging international flights would be a pain. I donít think he would be that stupid but well stranger things have happened....
Fly_IAD likes this.
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 9:54 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Europe
Posts: 77
Will probably cancel my diving trip to Indonesia next month.
landing is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 9:58 am
  #8  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,941
We still plan to go to southern Italy in two months.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 9:59 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: AS MVPG, BA Bronze, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 354
Still off to Melbourne/Barossa Valley this weekend
batmandds is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 10:08 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Posts: 535
Not worried about travelling to Vietnam April end. More concerned about self quarantine when back home.
atojbk likes this.
injian is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 10:21 am
  #11  
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Posts: 1,768
I'm going to the Big Island in March ... and a river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel in April ... and still planning to do unless there is a dire turn of events.
DavidO is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 10:22 am
  #12  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 2,187
Iím in Zihuatanejo right now at La Casa que Canta. I donít fear the virus but am niggled by concerns over disruptions, especially border issues.

Last edited by KatW; Mar 4, 20 at 12:33 pm
KatW is online now  
Old Mar 4, 20, 10:31 am
  #13  
ABG
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Posts: 4,250
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post

so we planned a last minute trip. I had considered twin farms but we were there last year. Blackberry farm sold out. Blackberry mountain seems too $$$$ for what it is. So we are going to Montreal. FS super cheap this time of year. Still trying to finish the trip off; thinking a couple nights at Manoir Hovey relaxing. Gonna get some good parka time in.
Weather has turned very mild..... you might not need the parka
ABG is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 10:38 am
  #14  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Programs: Some
Posts: 8,363
I will fly to Mallorca on Saturday. Was able to cancel hotel (biggest cost factor) until today but didnīt. Not ready to waste money foralready paid flights, rental cars etc. As many said not afraid of the virus, but to be "prisoned" on the Island or to be quarantined. To be honest I canīt understand all the Panic. As far as I know the 'Virus isnīt especially dangerous and every day many people die because of other viruses. So what....
In July I have bookings for Northern Italy and see nor reason to cancel (1 booking is non-refundable.). In November I have a booking for Thailand and if the Hype isnīt over until November I guess we are all dead
FlyerEC, Nizar and WestCoastPDX like this.
offerendum is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 10:47 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,500
Originally Posted by landing View Post
Will probably cancel my diving trip to Indonesia next month.
Buddy cancelled a dive trip for late March to Indo, rebooked a trip to Oman and just cancelled that due to the exposure to Iran.
GetSetJetSet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: