Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:00 pm

We cancelled our trip to Singapore & Bali that was scheduled to start next week, and instead booked a trip to London/Portugal that we will likely also cancel. With how rapidly things are changing, I'm not sure I want to risk being stuck somewhere if a border closes or an area gets locked down.

We still have trips booked for May, September and December, so we're just keeping an eye on things as they develop.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:20 pm

We're scheduled to go to Paris in about two weeks and are waiting to see what happens before making a decision. If the Louvre had stayed closed we would have cancelled, but it reopened today. As others have said, it's more a fear of disruption than a fear of getting sick.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Had to cancel a recent trip to Namibia due to a family health emergency barely 14 hours before my flight left but it was NOT due to a virus. I am still upset about this as I should have been able to still fly but due to a lag in diagnosis this was not possible.
Have a Europe trip in late May arriving in BUD, departing from MUC and I have no intention to cancel that trip unless plans get cancelled out of my control.
I live in the USA.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I haven't any plans to change my plans. Why should I? After vacationing in Italy in January and working in Taipei in Feb followed by a couple of days in a small town north of Tokyo and a return visit to Taiwan in the next couple of weeks. I'm a healthy (if slightly overweight) male in his sixties. My job requires direct face time with customers. And should the worst happen, that I be caught on the wrong side of a travel ban. I look forward to a much needed R & R and hope i'ts a long one.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Mar 4, 2020 at 5:21 pm Reason: misspelling
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I haven't any plans to change my plans. Why should I? After vacationing in Italy in January and working in Taipei in Feb followed by a couple of days in a small town north of Tokyo and a return visit to Taiwan in the next couple of weeks. I'm a healthy (if slightly overweight) male in his sixties. My job requires direct face time with customers. And should the worst happen, that I be caught on the wrong side of a travel ban. I look forward to a much needed R & R and hope i'ts a long one.
i'd be more careful, the currently available data indicates the danger from infection is much higher for those over 60.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
i'd be more careful, the currently available data indicates the danger from infection is much higher for those over 60.
I agree. I'm also in a higher risk category because I have respiratory issues, so I'm being much more cautious than perhaps others are.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Cancelled our trip to Africa via Germany last week didn't want to chance it and be stranded or 2 week house arrest? Re booked for Sept 2020.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

FT is going to open a forum on the CoronaVirus issue, so this thread will be moved to it before too long.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

P.S. As to me, I am scheduled to fly to Hong Kong in mid-April. Fortunately this entire trip (which also includes Japan) is on award tickets that even without an exemption can be inexpensively canceled. Hence, I am postponing the decision until closer to the trip time.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: American Advantage, Exec Plat, Marriott Silver
As of 3/4/20 at 1 pm - State of Hawaii Department of Health stated that there are no known COVID-19 cases in Hawaii. :-)
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:46 pm

Im supposed to travel to Sydney and Queenstown, NZ next week from LAX. Fingers crossed that there will be no cancellations before then. Secretly hoping they dont let me leave once I get there.
nsx likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:00 pm

Was planning to be in Florence and Rome next week, but the CDC guidelines ended that plan. Going to London and Paris instead. Unless the CDC goes from 0 to 3 dramatically, or they start to evacuate Paris, I should be in good shape. And, good grief, leave the political comments for Omni please.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by injian
Not worried about travelling to Vietnam April end. More concerned about self quarantine when back home.
In vietnam there are no active cases...

and good to know:

there are very few new cases in Singpor -now only 33 active cases / Hongkong - now 64 active cases / Thailand now only 12 active cases / Vietnam 0 aktive cases - in my opinion because of the hot weather.

The hot weather does not lead to a major outbreak. Otherwise in Italy / South Korea and China where the cold season is now.

And in China because of the restrictions, the new cases are becoming fewer and fewer!

sroll down at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

scroll down at worldometers

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Last edited by claus4321; Mar 4, 2020 at 9:05 pm
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:47 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
I will even more focus on my already well known preference for SMALL places and understand that a larger number of rooms increase the risk of a positive case and subsequent quarantaine. Relais & Chteaux properties and small high end guesthouses fit well.

Also I avoid buffets for long time already and never fly Y,. C or F first row easily accessible for me being LH group gold.

No cancellations so far, next trip only after Easter.

Safe travels to all, eventually we will all die, but let's enjoy life till then.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, United, Iberia, US Airways
Originally Posted by CedarSwampThing
Just cancelled reservations at the end of this month for St. regis Venice and Four Seasons Florence. Like previous posters I was less concerned about contracting Covid-19 and more worried about forced quarantine or closed borders upon my return. Will Rebook for next year. Have travel planned to Asia + South Pacific for Fall and have no intention of cancelling it. Might do a quick US domestic trip to New Mexico or Arizona early April
I just hiked the Grand Canyon with 2 nights at Bright Angel lodge, dinner at el Tovar and one night in a 2 person cabin at Phantom Ranch (tough but doable hike), followed by a night in Sedona and 2 nights at Hacienda del Sol (historic luxury resort) in Tucson. All locations had lots of cancellations and are wide open for wonderful, memorable vacations right now. Stop by Sedona and Canyon de Chelly or any other magical high desert locations between the canyon and tucson for a great vacation. Skip phoenix.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
We just returned from Hawaii where we almost bumped into the Japanese couple who have the virus. Luckily, we are now safe at home in Kirkland WA - known for the Costco brand and .....oh, crap, being the center of COVID-19 in the US.

Luckily, my work is already remote, and we can isolate ourselves to not need to spend time in large groups.

My company (50% remote work) has already cancelled an upcoming gathering in SF to avoid unnecessary mingling with groups of strangers
FlyerEC likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.