Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I know this has been said many times in many threads, and is insanely cliched, but I really do wonder what the new normal will be.
Look at China
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Anyone else looking to get out of NYC right now? Have any suggestions on where to go? I want to go somewhere warm and ideally want to be sitting on a beach, but Florida and Hawaii are out. Mexico maybe?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink
Anyone else looking to get out of NYC right now? Have any suggestions on where to go? I want to go somewhere warm and ideally want to be sitting on a beach, but Florida and Hawaii are out. Mexico maybe?
How do you get to Mexico now?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by donotblink
I think you should consider that, wherever you go, you may not get back home for a long time.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:03 am

I think you should consider that, wherever you go, you may not get back home for a long time.
That could be the plan,
donotblink likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TerryK
Plenty of flights to MEX. UA is flying there non-stop from EWR. Even AF is flying there last I saw. And the hotels are open. Mexico appears to be one of the least affected countries out there. I'd love to be in the Yucatan now.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Plenty of flights to MEX. UA is flying there non-stop from EWR. Even AF is flying there last I saw. And the hotels are open. Mexico appears to be one of the least affected countries out there. I'd love to be in the Yucatan now.
But would you want to see the inside of a Mexican hospital?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:14 am

Potentially with all the people you infected.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TerryK
The Mexico/US border closure explicitly only applies to land borders at this time. And should you get stuck and need to return to the US by land, the first item on the list of essential travel is, "U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents returning to the United States." See https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-insp...2020-06253.pdf
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say that is racist, but everything is racist these days, so I will just say that is a bit ignorant. Mexico has excellent doctors and facilities, especially for anyone who can pay a bit extra. Not that I expect to need a hospital. I did have an accident in Mexico many years ago and was very well taken care of.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I'm considering Cancun.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I would say that is racist, but everything is racist these days, so I will just say that is a bit ignorant. Mexico has excellent doctors and facilities, especially for anyone who can pay a bit extra. Not that I expect to need a hospital. I did have an accident in Mexico many years ago and was very well taken care of.
no, but you're away from home. you're not familiar with their healthcare system. you might not know where to go. there's a language barrier unless you speak fluent spanish. you have no idea about the cost of things, unlike at home (unless you live in the US, then I can't say). your travel insurance is not valid. family and friends can't reach you if the visit is extended. there are plenty of reasons why i don't want to end up in a mexican hospital (or any foreign hospital at this time, for that matter).
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yerffej201
no, but you're away from home. you're not familiar with their healthcare system. you might not know where to go. there's a language barrier unless you speak fluent spanish. you have no idea about the cost of things, unlike at home (unless you live in the US, then I can't say). your travel insurance is not valid. family and friends can't reach you if the visit is extended. there are plenty of reasons why i don't want to end up in a mexican hospital (or any foreign hospital at this time, for that matter).
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Sure, there are great facilities, but these are not available everywhere. My comment could really be expanded to say that I doubt anyone in a country with a good healthcare system would want to end up in a foreign hospital while ostensibly on vacation.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yerffej201
If you are afraid of these issues you should not travel and I would not try to convince you otherwise. But I do speak good enough Spanish (full fluency isn't necessary), have global health insurance (you'd probably only need the insurance if you had to go into intensive care, and maybe not even then), My mobile phone works just fine in Mexico, and yes they enjoy the Internet there too, so no problem reaching family and friends or even telecommuting. I could say the same for most all the countries around the world, because I have been to most all of them and done business in these places. This is Flyertalk after all.

But one of the best things about the people of Mexico is their kindness to others in distress. You'd just have to let someone know you are sick (estoy enfermo) and they will fetch a doctor or help you to a hospital if needed.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
FYI Bangkok Hotels

Excerpt from today's Bangkok Post:

"SET-listed Asset World Corp Plc (AWC) is the second hotel group in Thailand to announce the temporary closure of hotels in Bangkok, shutting the doors of five premises.

AWC chief executive and president Wallapa Traisorat said on Tuesday the closures were to reduce the risk of spreading the Covid-19 disease virus.

The more than 2,000 employees would continue to receive their salaries during the closure, with the company requiring all employees to stay at home and refrain from travelling to other provinces, in line with government policy.

The five hotels being closed are: Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park Hotel, DoubleTree by Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok Hotel, Le Meridien Bangkok Hotel, The Okura Prestige Hotel Bangkok and the Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse.

They will be shuttered from March 26 to April 15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.