Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:23 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer Gold, BA, CO, Amex
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I know - the media makes it sound like the FO had to walk across a bed of nails to land the plane.

This may come as a shock to the media, yet the FO was more than capable of taking over the Captain's seat and flying into EWR on his own (had it been necessary).

There is no way CO would ever allow a FO in the cockpit without passing numerous tests, including what happened today.

I remember when the British Airways Flight 038 flying in from Beijing landed short of the runway in January last year (I believe the cause was found to be frozen fuel as the plane had flown over Siberia).

It emerged that it was the Senior First Officer - John Coward - who safely landed the plane. However, in the media reports at the time it was certainly the Captain - Peter Burkill - who seemed to be getting most of the praise and credit for the landing in the media reports:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ot-Coward.html
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Evan!
I saw an interview with a passenger who said he learned of the problem on the IFE. I am not doubting your statement but passengers saw something, for sure. Even if it wasn't the actual landing.

Let's hope cell phones never become a reality in the air. But if they do, I'm sure that pilots will be able to disable that as well.
The JetBlue passengers watched the CNN video of the flight flying around with the chaser aircraft determining that the front landing gear was rotated 90 degrees. The pilot turned off the video before the flight landed so that the passengers did not see the sparks.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Reminds me of the movie "Weekend at Bernie" -- smile for the press!!!

sorry to the family -- at least he died doing what he loved to do. Will CO pay him for the full flight?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by doobierw
Any flight over 8 hours in duration has a third pilot (relief pilot) on board. Any flight over 12 hours would have four pilots.

The relief pilot (IRO) is in the cockpit during takeoff and landing, and will also fill a shift for the Captain and the First Officer during their crew rest periods. On a flight from Brussels, each pilot would have a rest period of around two and a half hours, so the IRO would be up in the cockpit for over five hours, on shift.

It is common for the Captain to fly the leg over to Europe, and the First Officer to take the leg coming back.....or vice versa. In other words, all of our First Officers fly (and actually land!) the plane on every other leg. A first officer flying the aircraft is absolutely not the big deal the media is making it out to be. On exactly one half of your flights, the FO is the flying pilot and the Captain is the 'assisting' pilot. All Continental pilots are type rated, and as such are trained to fly the plane from the left or right seats. 737 pilots, 757/767, and 777 pilots are all typed on their respective aircraft......which isn't normally done at other airlines. It's done here due to the international nature of the operation and the ability to schedule all pilots as relief pilots.

DRW
Thanks for the great explanation. However, many other airlines, including the one for which my husband flies type rate both FO's and Captains. Furthermore, one could be a recently downgraded Captain as many airlines are experiencing hard times and furlouging. In any case, all are trained to land the aircraft--FO's and Captains--whether or not they are type rated!

Last edited by HRDiva; Jun 18, 2009 at 8:12 pm
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
I believe that he passed away during the flight. So I can't believe it the captain died during on TATL flight out of BRU-EWR. So I think he had a fatal heart attacks or stroke. I am not familiar anyone else more info unless from medical examiner has to says something about him. Why he is passed away without known with pilots or F/A.
I stand corrected. The Captain was in his seat when he suffered a fatal cardiac arrest. There was a cardiologist on board that said there was no possibility of revival. The Captain's body was removed from the cockpit and placed in the crew rest area.

My condolences to his family and his flight crew.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
I believe that CO doesn't name any of their planes except one or two that I know of. I would think that CO should think about naming this 777 and the 737 were the FO or captain died in flight last year after said pilots. I think it would be something they could do to honor their dedication to CO.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by sfogate
I stand corrected. The Captain was in his seat when he suffered a fatal cardiac arrest. There was a cardiologist on board that said there was no possibility of revival. The Captain's body was removed from the cockpit and placed in the crew rest area.

My condolences to his family and his flight crew.
The news had it backwards then. I read an account of it (which of course I now can't find - ) saying that the Captain was on crew rest and did not respond to a call to return to the flight deck. FA goes to check on him to find him already cold - .
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
The news had it backwards then. I read an account of it (which of course I now can't find - ) saying that the Captain was on crew rest and did not respond to a call to return to the flight deck. FA goes to check on him to find him already cold - .
Go over to the "other side" website and read what has been posted. There does seem to be conflicting reports.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:20 pm

Double Tragedy

Condolences to his family.

Whether he was in the pit or sleeping in the crew bunk,its pretty sad,more so that on CNN's Anderson Cooper they are reporting the pilots wife just lost her mother the other day.All the rampant speculation is pointless. On the same show,they cited some "expert" who opined the pilot was taken to the overhead FA crew rest bunk located above door 3L,3/4's of the way in the back of the plane.Since none of the pax interviewed were even aware of the pilot expiring,this speculation was just that. The press doesn't seem to verify facts before reporting them for the sake of "breaking news".
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
CNN has identified the pilot as Craig Lenell - based in EWR, but lives in IAH. His wife was interviewed by CNN on the phone tonight on TV. Picture of Capt. Lenell and his daughter (which looks like she has on a CO uniform).

He and his wife had been married since 1973. He worked for CO for 32 years and only missed a day off work last year for a ruptured appendix.

He had spoken to his wife the day before and was to bring her some Beligum chocolates. He was returning back to IAH (after EWR) to go home to attend his wife's mother's funeral.

What a beautiful family and such a tragic loss.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Looked him up on a subscription website. He lives on the same cul-de-sac as my ex boss at work used to live on. I will ask him next week if he knew him.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cova
CNN has identified the pilot as Craig Lenell - based in EWR, but lives in IAH. His wife was interviewed by CNN on the phone tonight on TV. Picture of Capt. Lenell and his daughter (which looks like she has on a CO uniform).

He had spoken to his wife the day before and was to bring her some Beligum chocolates. He was returning back to IAH (after EWR) to go home to attend his wife's mother's funeral.

What a beautiful family and such a tragic loss.
Yeah, I am very sad the news happening of captain has passed away. My condolences with his family. So his body will have to be on transported back to IAH where prepare to be buried. I'm sure his family will have go to funeral service and then, his body will be taken to the cemetery where he will laid resting.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:15 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yeah, I am very sad the news happening of captain has passed away. My condolences with his family. So his body will have to be on transported back to IAH where prepare to be buried. I'm sure his family will have go to funeral service and then, his body will be taken to the cemetery where he will laid resting.
The local Houston station KTRK ABC 13 did a fairly long story (by evening news standards) on the man and the event.

For those interested You can find the story here http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/index

My sympathies to the family.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:36 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Truly a sad event and thoughts go out for his family, and the entire CO family.

One thing that I would like to point out, and perhaps a small glimmer of solace in this tragic situation...I think it's safe to assume that the pilot died doing what he loved. And if I got to pick how I'm gonna check out, I would definitely choose for my last moment on this earth to be doing something that brought me such joy, especially if it did not result in harm to anyone else.

May he rest well in a place where everyone has wings.

--PP
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
For those interested You can find the story here http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/index
Thanks for showing me the news article came in this earlier evening. I didn't realize know that. So the captain died as fatal heart attacks. So I couldn't believe it the captain does not have any doctor's permission him to fly. So unfortunately for Captain will be on transported back to IAH where he will have laid rest in the peace and he will be burial somewhere in Houston. So I couldn't believe it what is situation going on the pilots during mid-flight. My condolences with his relatives.

So what about the evidence from medical examiner to says something about his autopsy will be done shortly. They will have to talk with his wife fo found out any his diagnosis. I think they have enough more evidence any cause of death.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.