Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental, American

A news story of a pilot who died in flight from Brussels; interestingly, the article notes an emergency landing EWR even though that was the destination. My condolences to the pilot's family.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/contine...2.1049850.html
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Sorry for the pilot but with that many crew on board, I am not really worried. They should all know what they are doing, so I would not really call it an "emergency landing". The plane is still in perfect shape and there is trained crew, so I do not really see the emergency. As horrible as it is but the captain is already dead, nobody can help him anymore!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
CO had a pilot die on a 752 flight from Central America a few years ago. That is why they (now) always put a FA in the cockpit when one of the flight crew use the restroom. When the cockpit door is closed you want two people in it.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
In the past, I would have said its a waste to have 3 pilots on board TATL. I think I have just changed my mind.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Wow. Sad story. Glad it seems to have been handled fine.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Fox News just said that their was a non-rev crew on board being ferried back to NY
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cova
CO had a pilot die on a 752 flight from Central America a few years ago. That is why they (now) always put a FA in the cockpit when one of the flight crew use the restroom. When the cockpit door is closed you want two people in it.
I thought they put a FA in front of the door and at the F/Y line after 9/11.

Very sad news though. My condolences to the family and friends of the pilot.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Sorry for the pilot but with that many crew on board, I am not really worried. They should all know what they are doing, so I would not really call it an "emergency landing". The plane is still in perfect shape and there is trained crew, so I do not really see the emergency. As horrible as it is but the captain is already dead, nobody can help him anymore!
Sounds like the emergency landing is due to the fact that there is no captain on the plane now. Likely protocol that they declare an emergency in a case like this. Also likely unnecessary, but aviation laws/rules have a tendency to be overly cautious.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Freaky, because this happened fairly recently on another CO flight. It is the only other incident of its type that I can remember -- although it's obviously happened before.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15587328/

It will be interesting to see the age of the pilot. Hopefully, it is not an over 60 individual, as we will then be subject to countless stories about whether the rule change to allow older pilots "jeaporidizes safety."

Condolences to the family, though. At the end of the day, while this is an aviation oddity, it is primarily a human tragedy, as an individual in the prime of his life has been taken away from his loved ones.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
They should all know what they are doing, so I would not really call it an "emergency landing".
While they are landing at their original destination, an emergency landing will give them priority to land and emergency crews to meet the plane and remove the body.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, SWA RR; MR Platinum; National EC Executive
Condolences to the family

At least he was able to go doing something he loved....May he rest in peace.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: Onepass
First off my condolences to the pilots family, friends and co workers.

Second the reason for the emergency landing declaration is to bring them straight in and have the Port Authority Police Rescue meet the aircraft, possibly on a hard stand prior to the aircraft pulling into the gate.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
My condolences to the family. May he rest in peace.

Not too long ago this also happened on a flight to PVR which had to be diverted to MFE.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My thoughts go out to the affected family members and his colleagues.

Question: Which FO assumes command of the aircraft until landing? Most senior?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
So sad...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.