Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by CApreppie
although in a modern 777, having one pilot is absolutely no problem on a routine flight.
Surely you are not serious?

Having one pilot only is a very risky situation indeed - remember the one next to him just died. What if he freaked out or becomes so shocked by the event and has a heart attack, anxiety atteack stroke etc or becomes psychologically unable to function optimally? I would hope that if indeed there was only one pilot, CO would have diverted the flight to the nearest airport.

Having your own colleague who you work with just die next to you is very very tragic indeed and from that moment that flight ceases to be routine. In any other civillian work of life you would stop working straight away and have others take over, but here the copilot has to maintain his composure and keep flying the plane - that is very difficult indeed.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum Premier; HH Diamond; Hertz President's Circle; Avis PS; AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by A390
So iahphx's question is answered.

The problem with politicians meddling with healthcare and wanting their own system imposed is that they think they know it all, even if they have good intentions. Suzanne, like any politician, thinks it was a heart attack. Even though I'm not a doctor, it could be many other things. Ruptured aortic aneurysum (like Dr. Michael DeBakey), brain aneurysm (singer Laura Branigan), stroke (several kinds), pulmonary embolism (like the NBC reporter in Iraq), cardiac arrythmias (many kinds), epileptic seizure (like someone I read about in the newspaper who was in his 30's), asthmatic attack. So a layman, like me can name 8 things, and a doctor could probably name 25 things. So lets not let politicians try a massive overhaul when they should be fixing things stepwise to see the effects. Like fixing Medicaid first and, if partly successful, then applying the lessons learned to Medicare or universal health care, not a massive, dangerous, experiment on everyone. (When the Boeing 777 was introduced, the FAA tested it for a year, they did not shove passengers in and use the 777 on a commercial flight as soon as it left the factory).
Actually, I'm an Advanced Practice Nurse and can think of at least 30 reasons for sudden death, some of which are not detectable despite having a thorough medical screening/exam the previous day. Statistically, MI is the most probable cause, but whatever it was, it will be determined at autopsy. Whether he was 61 or 51 or even 41, it was a tragic situation. Personally, I want to see grey hair in the Captain's seat and am all for having the retirement age at 65 or even older. Experience up front is everything to me when I'm in my seat every week.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
It is every 6 months.

(This is different than your regular private pilot [3rd class] exam that is good for 3 years, until you turn 40 at which point it is every 2 years.)

Pax interviews say they were not told during flight;there was just a call for a Doc.

Ciao,
FH
Irrelevant in this case since 1st class medical (6 month) required for most airline pilots, but 3rd class medical is now good for 4 years for those under age 40.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Media, wow.

CNN continues to state the plane was "Commandeered" by the other pilots. Ahhh....Not so much.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Agreed. I was just pointing out that there were "crew rest" seats that are not in the view of the passengers. I don't remember where the access door to the bunks is but I think it is forward in the front galley so with the curtains pulled it would be possible to move someone in there with no pax noticing.
There are two crew rest seats on the flight deck of the 777. I'm guessing he occupied one of those.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I fly JFK/EWR-BRU 2-3 times a year, and on DL and CO flights there is always an extra relief (rev) pilot present, so that there are 3 cockpit crew members who each can take turns taking a rest. I'm not sure if this is per regulation for TALT flights, but I always see them around on my flights.

In this case the relief pilot took the spot of the deceased captain. As I read on CNN.COM:

"The airline said the crew on the flight included an additional relief pilot who took the place of the deceased man, and "the flight continued safely with two pilots at the controls."

So the relief pilot WAS part of the crew, and was not flying as a pax.

No doubt if there was only one capable pilot on board that flight, then the flight would have to be diverted to the nearest airport. You never want to have the risk of 2 incapacitated pilots! But since they had 2 fully qualified pilots on board, and the captain could not be helped any more (sad as it is), there was no reason to divert and they could continue to EWR perfectly within regulations (so I assume) and safety.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental, American
Media turns sad situation into ratings...

Judging by some of the headlines on the event, the news outlets want ratings. One was mentioned from CNN, I see that Fox News reads 'Mid-Air Death and Drama'. Really? I'm not saying the event was not extraordinary, but the Death and Drama title just does not fit here in my opinion.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
Very sad news. My condolences to the pilot's family and co.

I wonder if the pax know what happened. I would be a little freaked out if I knew the captain of my flight died, but I also know the FO should be able to handle everything.
My Condolences to the family and friends as well. No real reason to tell the passengers.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
It can be tough to see what's happening up front on a 777, if I recall correctly. The galley complex is between the passengers and the flight deck.
Originally Posted by ani90
Those in BF cabin would certainly know as pilot would have to have been brought into the front galley to be resuscitated and would have heard call for medical assistance and seen medical people walk straight past them
The crew rest area is just off the cockpit. I visited the cockpit of the 777 I took to NRT and there is ample room in the cockpit and in the hallway leading to the cockpit. I Even think there is a door/ curtain between the cabin and the cockpit they could use. THe crew rest is a double bunk and with the doors open they could have easily placed a body in there for the remainder of the flight.

Originally Posted by ErgoTraveler
I'm sure BF pax would know, the CBS story stated they placed him in a crew rest seat. Unless there is an area not in the seating section for rest on this aircraft.
I think they would not have seen what happened as there are multiple curtains etc.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp
Judging by some of the headlines on the event, the news outlets want ratings. One was mentioned from CNN, I see that Fox News reads 'Mid-Air Death and Drama'. Really? I'm not saying the event was not extraordinary, but the Death and Drama title just does not fit here in my opinion.
I can't stand the media. They are blowing this all out of proportion. I have heard terms such as "Miraculously landing at EWR" and "All passengers safe". They are not saying anything about the crew and making it sound like there was only one pilot and the plane landed on auto pilot. Geeeeezzzzzz, enough already.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cruisr
I can't stand the media. They are blowing this all out of proportion. I have heard terms such as "Miraculously landing at EWR" and "All passengers safe". They are not saying anything about the crew and making it sound like there was only one pilot and the plane landed on auto pilot. Geeeeezzzzzz, enough already.
Sensationalism at it's finest. Surely you didn't expect any true news from the US media.

My deepest thoughts go out to the family and pilot, it is a sad event.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I met a 777 captain at an ATL SkyClub a few months ago, and I know he runs this route sometimes. Really nice guy going through some tough times. Hope this wasn't him.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Scott6067
The crew rest area is just off the cockpit. I visited the cockpit of the 777 I took to NRT and there is ample room in the cockpit and in the hallway leading to the cockpit. I Even think there is a door/ curtain between the cabin and the cockpit they could use. THe crew rest is a double bunk and with the doors open they could have easily placed a body in there for the remainder of the flight.
At least from the first row of an A330, it appears you could deal with the medical emergency, and secure the deceased, without pax knowing. The pax would know something is occuring, yet not what. The crew rest area is right by the flight deck door, and there's enough curtains to deal with the issue in privacy.

It's safe to presume the "average" flyer would be uncomfortable with the idea of a flight crew medical issue, yet we aren't an "average" group. I fully expect that there is a single-pilot landing checklist, which might have to be started 2-3x the distance from the airport. Not to say that it's somethign any pilot would want to go through (both for the cause of the event, and the occurance of the event), and the wheels-down sure would be stressful, yet I suspect it's fully doable. Thankfully, crew staffing appears to prevent such events.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, Hertz, Avis, Marriott, Hilton HH
I guarantee no PAX saw the body. Whether he was put into crew rest seats hidden from PAX view or more likely, and what I believe, is strappaed into the jump seat that folds away behind the crew but INSIDE the cockpit. (This is where FAA or maintenance guys sit during checkouts, flight tests, etc.)

Every precaution was taken to keep from alarming passengers.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
All the CO 772s have rest bunks. I have no idea if they'd try to get the pilot into them or use a seat in the open.
Where is the rest crew area in the 777?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by ErgoTraveler
I'm sure BF pax would know, the CBS story stated they placed him in a crew rest seat. Unless there is an area not in the seating section for rest on this aircraft.
The pilot rest area is off the corridor leading to the cockpit on the left side of the plane. When the door to the rest area is open, you can't see the cockpit door or what's going on in the corridor/rest area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.