Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by doobierw
A first officer flying the aircraft is absolutely not the big deal the media is making it out to be.
Thank you.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Two questions not covered or not seen by me in the media coverage to date....

1. Was there a 3rd Pilot aboard, normal for flights over "X' hours duration or "TATL"?

2. If not, did one of the cabin staff occupy the empty seat to assist the FO with routine COMM/NAV "button pushing"?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Those would fall in the "not seen by you" category. There was an IRO onboard, so your other question is rendered moot.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Was there a 3rd Pilot aboard, normal for flights over "X' hours duration or "TATL"?
There was a 3rd relief pilot (FO) who was part of the working crew due to the scheduled duration of the flight.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TMOliver
Two questions not covered or not seen by me in the media coverage to date....

1. Was there a 3rd Pilot aboard, normal for flights over "X' hours duration or "TATL"?

2. If not, did one of the cabin staff occupy the empty seat to assist the FO with routine COMM/NAV "button pushing"?
Two questions answered quite clearly up in the thread.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
While I understand why the crew thought it best not to tell the passengers, this approach might need to be changed.

CO does not yet have WiFi but they are planning to get it. Delta and JetBlue have satellite T.V. on domestic flights and one day DL might have it on international. I assume CO, US , UA, etc would follow suit. I think the days of not telling the passengers so as not to alarm them are almost over.

Many airlines are pushing for allowing cell phone usage in the air. This means the airlines need to remind their crews that we are no longer incommunicado. You can't keep this stuff to yourself any longer. It is better a passenger hears it from the pilot rather than hearing SOP over the PA and then getting a call from a loved one saying "CNN says you all are going to die!!!"

I can appreciate not wanting to alarm the passengers. But they better come up with a "plan b" pretty soon.

I agree. The vultures blew the story way out of proportion. Another reason that, soon, pax need to be told everything even if it isn't the best of news.

A couple of years ago a JetBlue plane had problem with the landing gear at LAX (IIRC) and pax were watching the blow-by-blow news coverage on their personal IFE systems.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Evan!
A couple of years ago a JetBlue plane had problem with the landing gear at LAX (IIRC) and pax were watching the blow-by-blow news coverage on their personal IFE systems.
The captain did turn off the video before the JetBlue plane landed at LAX. I remember watching it on TV. So the passengers did not see the front landing gear burning up as the sideways wheel scraped down the runway.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
While I understand why the crew thought it best not to tell the passengers, this approach might need to be changed.

CO does not yet have WiFi but they are planning to get it. Delta and JetBlue have satellite T.V. on domestic flights and one day DL might have it on international. I assume CO, US , UA, etc would follow suit. I think the days of not telling the passengers so as not to alarm them are almost over.

Many airlines are pushing for allowing cell phone usage in the air. This means the airlines need to remind their crews that we are no longer incommunicado. You can't keep this stuff to yourself any longer. It is better a passenger hears it from the pilot rather than hearing SOP over the PA and then getting a call from a loved one saying "CNN says you all are going to die!!!"

I can appreciate not wanting to alarm the passengers. But they better come up with a "plan b" pretty soon.A couple of years ago a JetBlue plane had problem with the landing gear at LAX (IIRC) and pax were watching the blow-by-blow news coverage on their personal IFE systems.
Originally Posted by cova
The captain did turn off the video before the JetBlue plane landed at LAX. I remember watching it on TV. So the passengers did not see the front landing gear burning up as the sideways wheel scraped down the runway.
Pilots have the ability to disable the wifi feature as well as live TV as described in the JetBlue incident.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by cova
I saw an interview with a passenger who said he learned of the problem on the IFE. I am not doubting your statement but passengers saw something, for sure. Even if it wasn't the actual landing.

Originally Posted by RxCapt
Pilots have the ability to disable the wifi feature as well as live TV as described in the JetBlue incident.
Let's hope cell phones never become a reality in the air. But if they do, I'm sure that pilots will be able to disable that as well.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:41 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Wilco_FT
Irrelevant in this case since 1st class medical (6 month) required for most airline pilots, but 3rd class medical is now good for 4 years for those under age 40.
Wow, thanks I had no idea they just changed the 3rd class rule. I only have a 1st class. I need to dig out my 09 FAR/AIM.

This story seems to have some legs, it was on all the US national nightly news casts (even opening on NBC). They make it seem a miracle that two qualified pilots could land the plane, but that is what the media does these days.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by suzanneaustin
Personally, I want to see grey hair in the Captain's seat and am all for having the retirement age at 65 or even older. Experience up front is everything to me when I'm in my seat every week.
This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, but gray hair doesn't automatically make your pilot experienced or even good. Most of the best captains I've flown with don't have gray hair of any significance (I'm sure some use color).

Originally Posted by sbagdon
I fully expect that there is a single-pilot landing checklist, which might have to be started 2-3x the distance from the airport. Not to say that it's somethign any pilot would want to go through (both for the cause of the event, and the occurance of the event), and the wheels-down sure would be stressful, yet I suspect it's fully doable. Thankfully, crew staffing appears to prevent such events.
Like it was said earlier, there is no "single pilot landing checklist". There is nothing wrong or different about the aircraft. The only difference is that the one pilot has to run the radios and fly the plane. As busy as it sounds, its not that big of a deal, we all started flying planes with only one pilot and eventually got to the crew environment.

Also, at most airlines, this scenario is actually practiced in the sim, from recognizing incapacitation to landing the plane. It would probably be as stressful as any emergency, but not necessarily any more difficult than a normal day.

Originally Posted by RxCapt
I read an article recently in Airways that talks about how FOs at NW are trained as "Cruise Captains" who occupy the left seat on int'l longhaul flights to deal with any in-flight emergencies while the Capt is on break during in-flight cruise and cannot return to the flight deck. Specifically, the article addressed a rapid decompression, having to depart one of the pre-assigned "tracks" and the steps involved in making an emergency descent.
FO's are trained in the same situations as captains, the difference is usually experience and that the captain has final responsibility for the aircraft, or rather, its all his or her fault.

I agree. The vultures blew the story way out of proportion. Another reason that, soon, pax need to be told everything even if it isn't the best of news.
The news gets tipped when someone declares an emergency. At least with me, if I declare an emergency, its something I'm going to have to communicate to the passengers.

If its something minor, I may mention anything that might be out of the ordinary, but I'm not going to alarm everyone when one of the generators goes off line and the other three are handling it just fine. But that's just me...

Checko
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:59 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I know - the media makes it sound like the FO had to walk across a bed of nails to land the plane.

This may come as a shock to the media, yet the FO was more than capable of taking over the Captain's seat and flying into EWR on his own (had it been necessary).

There is no way CO would ever allow a FO in the cockpit without passing numerous tests, including what happened today.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don't think this is media overkill. It's not something that happens every day - in fact I can't even remember the last time this happened, particularly with a jet flying over the atlantic.
Not overkill, but sensationalism.

And stupidity. MSNBC's video, while never specifically identifying the aircraft as CO 61, sure makes it look like it. Problem was, it looks like a 757, but 61 was a 777.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:20 pm

I just read (on the other website) that the Captain was taking his crew rest, in the bunk, when he didn't respond to a call from the flight deck. The flight deck asked the FAs to wake him up and they discovered the Captain to be cold. A Dr. on board used the incabin defib with no results. The Captain was left in his bunk and the FO and IRO flew the plane.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by sfogate
I just read (on the other website) that the Captain was taking his crew rest, in the bunk, when he didn't respond to a call from the flight deck. The flight deck asked the FAs to wake him up and they discovered the Captain to be cold. A Dr. on board used the incabin defib with no results. The Captain was left in his bunk and the FO and IRO flew the plane.
I believe that he passed away during the flight. So I can't believe it the captain died during on TATL flight out of BRU-EWR. So I think he had a fatal heart attacks or stroke. I am not familiar anyone else more info unless from medical examiner has to says something about him. Why he is passed away without known with pilots or F/A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.