Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
body was placed in the crew rest area

Lenell's body was removed from the cockpit and placed in the crew rest area during the flight.

On Boeing 777 the rest area is in last rows of the BF. Can just imagine what other passenger were thinking when thy had seen dead body being dragged.
The curtains around the seat were probably closed.

I think that I remember that a Similar thing happened on BA (I think) flight where a FC passenger died and was placed in an overhead compartment. As a result Singapore now has a dedicated compartment for stiffs.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tale
On Boeing 777 the rest area is in last rows of the BF.
This is so very, very wrong. It used to be true bit it no longer is. Read up the thread a bit where the actual location of the crew rest on the 772s is discussed.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA ExPlat
First, my prayers are with the pilot's family. May the captain rest in peace.

Cardiovascular disorders can remain hidden for years with blind symptomatology. It depends highly on genetics, previous health history and a whole medical laundry list of other factors. Who knows about this one. I am continually surprised as a physician about the mysteries of human health.

EKGs can be notoriously unreliable for such mundane reasons as bad conductivity from the leads, improper placement, a twitchy (don't you like those medical terms?) patient or multiple other things. Just like any medical technology, it is prone to error a certain percentage of the time. Same goes for any lab tests, diagnostic imaging (X-ray, MRI, CAT scan) or other therapeutics requiring close monitoring. The technology may be foolproof, but humans are not.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by sbm12
Having a discussion on a potential hole in the security process and how it can be mitigated is better than burying one's head and just hoping it would never happen, IMO.
Mitigated? I don't see anyone offering any better ideas

I don't think those who think it's inappropriate to talk about here are burying their heads in the sand.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
This incident has raised an issue I'd like to see addressed - adding the ability for a pilot or doctor to indicate their profession (and thus their willingness to assist) somewhere on the PNR and pax list so if someone is ever needed in an emergency, they can be easily located without the need to make announcements or stir up any worrying.
This already actually exists under US law. It's called the Voluntary Provision of Emergency Services Program. Unfortunately, its very poorly publicized and there isn't very much information on the internet about it. I can't even find a current CFR to back it up.

Here are some links:

http://law.justia.com/us/codes/title49/49usc44944.html

http://www.nwa.com/features/volprovision/

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...tance/main.jsp
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by njcommodore

I don't think those who think it's inappropriate to talk about here are burying their heads in the sand.
Identifying and discussing a problem is better than pretending it doesn't exist. In this particular case there isn't a need for a better solution, IMO. The cockpit door is locked from the inside. Pretending that such information is top secret and not appropriate for discussion is silly.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'd like to see addressed - adding the ability for a pilot or doctor to indicate their profession (and thus their willingness to assist) somewhere on the PNR and pax list so if someone is ever needed in an emergency, they can be easily located without the need to make announcements or stir up any worrying.
On at least one airline (can't speak for all), the paperwork notes all those who are flight deck jumpseat-eligible, even if they are flying in a passenger seat. This translates basically into airline pilots of pretty much any stripe. It won't cover private pilots or doctors, of course, but it's a start.

Naturally, some routes become "commuter busses" for pilots more heavily than others, but it's common these days to find an off-duty pilot or two in a typical passenger load.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by AvWeb.com

APA Uses Continental 61 To Support Age-60 Rule
6-22-09

Speaking for the Allied Pilots Association, spokesman Scott Shankland told WFAA TV in Dallas/Forth Worth, Thursday, that incidents like the Thursday death of a pilot aboard Continental Flight 61 will be more likely, and he knows why. Shankland told the TV station, "this is the reality of what we're going to be dealing with on an increasing bases as a result of the increase of retirement age to 65." Pilot Craig A. Lenell died at the age of 60 while serving as captain aboard the Continental flight. He was examined on the flight by a 72-year-old cardiologist who attempted to revive the captain with the aid of an onboard defibrillator (mandatory since 2004). Of the multiple events involving a pilot's incapacitation or death while piloting a commercial airliner that AVweb reviewed for this story, none resulted in additional fatalities as a direct result of the flight losing a pilot -- a point with which Shankland concurs.
Linkage to the rest
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:35 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by njcommodore

Potential hole = Terrorist forcing flight officer to unlock cockpit door from outside using code (pointed out by Bonehead)

Ways to mitigate / better ideas = FAs blocking front galley using beverage carts or cable fence (as I noted seeing on UA); FFDOs (as suggested by another poster); requiring cockpit door to be opened from inside only, by an FA stationed inside for that purpose (as several posters noted is ordinary procedure); allowing cockpit door to be unlocked using code from outside, but only in emergencies, and allowing an outside unlock attempt to be manually overidden from inside the cockpit (as indicated by the Airbus Industrie marketing video).

Burying head in sand = saying that no information about onboard security, no matter how public and/or widely published, should be ever discussed on an Internet forum.

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; Jun 22, 2009 at 9:41 am
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:22 am

"CollegeFlyer is now LawSchoolFlyer"

Is anybody surprised?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by GreatChecko
The point is, what you posted does not belong online, especially at the level of detail you have gone to. Edit or delete it.
This thread has been interesting and very informative. It is sad though when the drama queens show up and try to derail everything!

Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by allga
"CollegeFlyer is now LawSchoolFlyer"

Is anybody surprised?
Not at all. I bet he goes far in life. He has done an excellent job on here of keeping a chicken little type in line. Should come in handy as a lawyer!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:39 pm
Suspended

divert?

If you were on the flight or were that captain, would you be in favor of diverting to Shannon or Keflavik even if there were no realistic chance of survival just to say that everything possible was done?

If you were on the flight?

If you were the dead/dying captain?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by 797-3
If you were on the flight or were that captain, would you be in favor of diverting to Shannon or Keflavik even if there were no realistic chance of survival just to say that everything possible was done?

Any crew would divert to the nearest appropriate airport if a life might be saved by doing so. In this case it obviously could not, so the question is irrelevant. As I understand it, the doctor declared the man dead, meaning, by definition, that "everything possible" had been done.

Passengers don't typically get votes in these matters, so that question is off the table too. I would suspect that any right-thinking person, passenger or crew, would happily incur some inconvenience if a life were truly in the balance. I hope we have that much humanity left in us.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by 797-3

If the pilot were "dying" instead of "dead" then there would have almost certainly been an immediate diversion to the nearest suitable airport, even if it meant turning around over Greenland and heading back to KEF. It happens often enough that I have had family members on such flights. But the guy was already dead. No need to divert at that point unless Miracle Max was available and the guy was only mostly dead.

If I were on the flight I'd have no idea that it was happening because the crew was so incredibly professional that they actually didn't alert or alarm the passengers.

And if I were a pilot I'd follow my policies and work with dispatch/operations which I'm sure they did in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.