Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I don't think this is media overkill. It's not something that happens every day - in fact I can't even remember the last time this happened, particularly with a jet flying over the atlantic.

Now we know why these flights are staffed as they are, and why we should resist any attempts by management to downsize flight crews.

No disrespect intended, but everybody has to check out sometime, no doubt the guy passed doing what he loved. Better than those that perished off the coast of Brazil in a rather horrific manner.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, Hertz, Avis, Marriott, Hilton HH
Originally Posted by sbagdon
.... I fully expect that there is a single-pilot landing checklist, which might have to be started 2-3x the distance from the airport. Not to say that it's somethign any pilot would want to go through (both for the cause of the event, and the occurance of the event), and the wheels-down sure would be stressful, yet I suspect it's fully doable. Thankfully, crew staffing appears to prevent such events...
No, there is no official "single pilot" checklist. I've flown B737's single pilot in full motion simulators a lot and they are no more difficult than single engine props. Obviously the systems, speeds and procedures are far more intricate in real life but it is certainly flyable and landable (is that a word?).

The hardest part of flying is the radio work (ie;navigation, communication, etc) or coping with system failures. In the single pilot case, once the lone pilot declared an emergency, he is given wide berth from other aircraft, usually kept with one controller as he gets closer to destination versus switching from center controller to approach controller, final approach control and then tower. One or two controllers handle him all the way to landing to ease the tasks of screwing with radios. Secondly, the lone pilot would program the autopilot's autoland function and the airplane is really just monitored with slight corrections by the pilot.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 1:09 pm

Any flight over 8 hours in duration has a third pilot (relief pilot) on board. Any flight over 12 hours would have four pilots.

The relief pilot (IRO) is in the cockpit during takeoff and landing, and will also fill a shift for the Captain and the First Officer during their crew rest periods. On a flight from Brussels, each pilot would have a rest period of around two and a half hours, so the IRO would be up in the cockpit for over five hours, on shift.

It is common for the Captain to fly the leg over to Europe, and the First Officer to take the leg coming back.....or vice versa. In other words, all of our First Officers fly (and actually land!) the plane on every other leg. A first officer flying the aircraft is absolutely not the big deal the media is making it out to be. On exactly one half of your flights, the FO is the flying pilot and the Captain is the 'assisting' pilot. All Continental pilots are type rated, and as such are trained to fly the plane from the left or right seats. 737 pilots, 757/767, and 777 pilots are all typed on their respective aircraft......which isn't normally done at other airlines. It's done here due to the international nature of the operation and the ability to schedule all pilots as relief pilots.

DRW
Old Jun 18, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by doobierw
Any flight over 8 hours in duration has a third pilot (relief pilot) on board. Any flight over 12 hours would have four pilots.

The relief pilot (IRO) is in the cockpit during takeoff and landing, and will also fill a shift for the Captain and the First Officer during their crew rest periods. On a flight from Brussels, each pilot would have a rest period of around two and a half hours, so the IRO would be up in the cockpit for over five hours, on shift.

It is common for the Captain to fly the leg over to Europe, and the First Officer to take the leg coming back.....or vice versa. In other words, all of our First Officers fly (and actually land!) the plane on every other leg. A first officer flying the aircraft is absolutely not the big deal the media is making it out to be. On exactly one half of your flights, the FO is the flying pilot and the Captain is the 'assisting' pilot. All Continental pilots are type rated, and as such are trained to fly the plane from the left or right seats. 737 pilots, 757/767, and 777 pilots are all typed on their respective aircraft......which isn't normally done at other airlines. It's done here due to the international nature of the operation and the ability to schedule all pilots as relief pilots.

DRW
IIRC, the FO had charge of the US Airways flt when the birds hit. It was then that Sulley said "My aircraft" and took over. I guess most of the flying public think that the Capt does all things at all times and the FO grabs the coffee....
Old Jun 18, 2009, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All Continental pilots are type rated, and as such are trained to fly the plane from the left or right seats. 737 pilots, 757/767, and 777 pilots are all typed on their respective aircraft......which isn't normally done at other airlines.
Thanks, as always, for the info.

To the bit that you noted above, are you saying that at other airlines a pilot might be rated only as a FO and not able to be in command and that CO is different in this regard? Or something else?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
IIRC, the FO had charge of the US Airways flt when the birds hit. It was then that Sulley said "My aircraft" and took over. I guess most of the flying public think that the Capt does all things at all times and the FO grabs the coffee....
Correct. You would have thought from ALL of the news reports that Sully was the ONLY pilot on board the aircraft, when in fact, he wasn't even flying the aircraft when it happened.

Indeed, most of the flying public has no clue that we have TWO pilots on board who are generally equally qualified. The Captain is responsible for the safe conduct of the flight and generally has the final say. We always work as a team, and switch flying/non-flying duties on every leg.

Originally Posted by sbm12

To the bit that you noted above, are you saying that at other airlines a pilot might be rated only as a FO and not able to be in command and that CO is different in this regard? Or something else?
Yes. I don't know the training tracks at EVERY airline, but know that all airlines don't normally type rate first officers. For those operations that involve relief ops, the pilots would be type rated, but it would be the exception. At NWA several years ago, the FOs on the 757s were not type rated, but they might be doing it now due to the 757s flying legs that require relief ops. DC-9s and A320s probably wouldn't be type rated.

However......having said that. Most First Officers at major airlines are pretty competent pilots and regardless of what it says on the piece of paper in their wallet, would be able to handle any situations we're talking about here. The bottom line is that we are all pilots.....one guy has one more stripe and gets paid more to make the big decisions....often after consulting with the guy sitting to his right.

DRW
Old Jun 18, 2009, 1:59 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by sbm12

CO is no different than any other carrier. Captains and F/Os take turns flying and the checklists refer to the PF (pilot flying) and PNF (pilot not flying). Whether it's a Captain or F/O, they're fully trained and capable of flying the aircraft. The sole difference is that the Captain has final authority over all aspects of the flight and has command authoriy over the other crew members.

While this is a sad situation, I can think of any number of things that could happen over the Atlantic in a twin engine aircraft that would disturb me more than this. Many of these are things that one would never know about unless you were specifically told.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: Red Sox Nation
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp
Judging by some of the headlines on the event, the news outlets want ratings. One was mentioned from CNN, I see that Fox News reads 'Mid-Air Death and Drama'. Really? I'm not saying the event was not extraordinary, but the Death and Drama title just does not fit here in my opinion.
Originally Posted by cruisr
I can't stand the media. They are blowing this all out of proportion. I have heard terms such as "Miraculously landing at EWR" and "All passengers safe". They are not saying anything about the crew and making it sound like there was only one pilot and the plane landed on auto pilot. Geeeeezzzzzz, enough already.

Don't watch the news much, huh fellas?

Originally Posted by fozz
Sensationalism at it's finest. Surely you didn't expect any true news from the US media.
The truth is buried under lots of shiny words designed to distract you from the fact that....oooh, American Idol is on next!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Right now on Fox News a female passenger is being interviewed who sat in seat 1L
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Falcon20
My assumption would be the original FO. He is rated by the FAA to fly the aircraft but is not "captain" on this particular flight. He would probably move to the left seat as well. Unknown if other non-revs are 777 type rated.
The F/O would probably have stayed in the right seat the position that he is most familiar
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ty97
Sounds like the emergency landing is due to the fact that there is no captain on the plane now. Likely protocol that they declare an emergency in a case like this. Also likely unnecessary, but aviation laws/rules have a tendency to be overly cautious.
I may be wrong on this, but I thought an emergency was declared even when a PAX dies..something about biohazard, and of course potential foul play.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Wall to wall cable news coverage.

It will be particularly lame, as other than the unfortunate death, there's not much to talk about here.

Except the 61-thing, which will no doubt be good for several hours of punditry in the next 2 days.
Indeed - this seems a rather small event, surely not worthy of the attention it's getting.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:12 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
You are correct. This is considered a biohazard and foul play has to be ruled out.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by us2
CO is no different than any other carrier. Captains and F/Os take turns flying and the checklists refer to the PF (pilot flying) and PNF (pilot not flying). Whether it's a Captain or F/O, they're fully trained and capable of flying the aircraft. The sole difference is that the Captain has final authority over all aspects of the flight and has command authoriy over the other crew members.
Indeed, most of the flying public has no clue that we have TWO pilots on board who are generally equally qualified. The Captain is responsible for the safe conduct of the flight and generally has the final say. We always work as a team, and switch flying/non-flying duties on every leg.

Yes. I don't know the training tracks at EVERY airline, but know that all airlines don't normally type rate first officers. For those operations that involve relief ops, the pilots would be type rated, but it would be the exception. At NWA several years ago, the FOs on the 757s were not type rated, but they might be doing it now due to the 757s flying legs that require relief ops. DC-9s and A320s probably wouldn't be type rated.

However......having said that. Most First Officers at major airlines are pretty competent pilots and regardless of what it says on the piece of paper in their wallet, would be able to handle any situations we're talking about here. The bottom line is that we are all pilots.....one guy has one more stripe and gets paid more to make the big decisions....often after consulting with the guy sitting to his right.
I read an article recently in Airways that talks about how FOs at NW are trained as "Cruise Captains" who occupy the left seat on int'l longhaul flights to deal with any in-flight emergencies while the Capt is on break during in-flight cruise and cannot return to the flight deck. Specifically, the article addressed a rapid decompression, having to depart one of the pre-assigned "tracks" and the steps involved in making an emergency descent.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
WNBC in NYC actually reported the story pretty straight, much to my surprise. Very drama-free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.