Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

(Domestic) Again, Elites sit in back, non-revs up front (fact)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Domestic) Again, Elites sit in back, non-revs up front (fact)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Ummm no. For the average hard working airline employee in the trenches, one of the most prized portions of the benefits package is free or reduced cost travel - there is nothing in the benefits package that states F or J travel is a key benefit.

Upgrades to F or J are simply one of the available options an employee can select for their travel perk if a seat is open in that cabin. A nonrev employee on personal travel can not displace a Y customer, so why are people suggesting they should displace someone who is being put in F by virtue of their frequent flier program benefits?
Forget the benefits package, that's not what this is about.

If you like to upgrade to FC for free, why wouldn't a non-rev? How is that any different?

Except they're working for it and you're not, and, in fact, the company is specifically withholding pay increases, dangling the "carrot" of F/J passes as one of the justifications.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Considering that Silvers often get upgraded on flights to leisure destinations like SJU, CUN, PVR, STT, etc... you would think that pass travel to vacation destinations would be easier to score in F than other destinations. I know I have run across non-revs in the front cabin to places like SJU, PUJ, STT, etc. Granted, non-revs may have relatives in places like ORD, LAX, NYC, etc., but they already get to fly there on a pass. No need to further restrict the EUA pool to these destinations, when the EUA standby list can consist of half the plane.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Except they're working for it and you're not, and, in fact, the company is specifically withholding pay increases, dangling the "carrot" of F/J passes as one of the justifications.
I'm paying for my flights, out of my own pocket. I choose to fly CO because of the EUA system, which generally works well for the routes I fly. I would choose another airline if circumstances changed to my perceived detriment. CO isn't exactly raking in cash at the moment, so I wouldn't expect them to be generously increasing salaries (overhead) in the present business environment. If I were a major shareholder, I would be seriously concerned if CO went down that path during one of the biggest economic downturns in recent history.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by channa
I think the additional fee for F is common at other airlines.
I recently witnessed a GA for an ATL-ORD segment (UA explus RJ with F) try to get the nonrevs to spring for F. Y was over, but F was under, so they were definitley getting on the plane, the question was where. This is one of those routes that's really not worth upgrading in the UA program (2 x 500-milers for a 606-mile flight). So Elites don't want it, and with the extra fees, non-revs don't seem to want it either.

None of the 4 non-revs was willing to take it, so she ended up op-upping some Elites (including us).
Of course other airlines have that fee. That is not the point. The point is that the emloyees are paying service charge fee, on top of their pass charge. they do not sit up front for free.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
No one ever suggested scrapping EUA.

Let's not get our panties in a bunch...

We're simply discussing setting aside a limited number of seats for non-revs.

Think of it like this: EUA is a killer perk for all you elites out there, often or constantly flying FC without ever paying for it. Let's not lose track of that.

In fact, the more you EUA, the more, in essence, you're "taking" money away from the airline and, by association, its employees.

A few seats set aside every year would be but a humble gesture of gratitude to the hard-working and long-suffering employees of CAL for so much free privilege, don't you think?
WRONG! Upgrade inventory is set by management so it will not infringe on F seats that could be sold, therefore, an EUAed elite is taking very little from CO or any other a/l who upgrades in this fashion.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Oh, come on now. Let's be serious here
I'm perfectly serious.

Let's take a quick peek:

EWR-LAX in FC (cheapest fare available, June 17 return June 24, random dates):

Cheapest confirmed FC fare: $1,598

Cheapest economy fare: $278

If a plat flying on that cheap V fare (unlikely, I know) is able to score an upgrade, he or she just "cost" the company $1,320.

He or she will not get treated any differently once in the FC cabin than a passenger who paid $1,598.

Of course, upgrades are part of the perks CO offers its frequent fliers, and that's fair enough.

But I think frequent fliers should realize that they are getting a killer benefit here, one that is now the most generous of any U.S. carrier (with the end of NW) and perhaps a little, tiny thank you to the crews who help make the terrific CO experience happen wouldn't be so terrible after all...

Programs: MYOB
Forget the benefits package, that's not what this is about.

If you like to upgrade to FC for free, why wouldn't a non-rev? How is that any different?

And....they DON'T upgrade for free. It is an additional charge.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ADLFO
WRONG! Upgrade inventory is set by management so it will not infringe on F seats that could be sold, therefore, an EUAed elite is taking very little from CO or any other a/l who upgrades in this fashion.
You didn't get my point. If there were no EUA (as on other airlines) then these seats would be available for revenue sale.

The point is precisely that EUA in of itself costs the company money.

It's a very generous benefit that perhaps ought to come with a little more humility and recognition for the hard-working employees of CO who make it happen for OP elites.

The least you could do is agree to share the fun with some of them, at least occasionally.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xzh445
And....they DON'T upgrade for free. It is an additional charge.
Well, they only get to pay for it if the seats are available in the first place...so the odds are most certainly stacked against non-revs, don't you think?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You didn't get my point. If there were no EUA (as on other airlines) then these seats would be available for revenue sale.

Only if EUA prevents CO from selling seats in the front cabin. Considering that CO often does not process EUA on business-heavy routes (EWR-LAX/SFO/IAH, etc.) until a half-hour before the flight (if not later), CO doesn't risk losing the sale of even a last-minute walk-up fare. I think we can all agree that, if anything, CO's revenue management team is rather competent regarding such issues.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL AA UA

It's a very generous benefit that perhaps ought to come with a little more humility and recognition for the hard-working employees of CO who make it happen for OP elites.

The least you could do is agree to share the fun with some of them, at least occasionally.
I, respectfully, disagree again.

EUA costs very little if you trust that management has a feel for how many F seats would sell on a plane.

EUA garners loyalty which MAKES the company money.

If CO didn't do EUAs, Ross Perot's giant sucking sound would, in this case, be the number of elites leaving for other a/ls in droves.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Only if EUA prevents CO from selling seats in the front cabin. Considering that CO often does not process EUA on business-heavy routes (EWR-LAX/SFO/IAH, etc.) until a half-hour before the flight (if not later), CO doesn't risk losing the sale of even a last-minute walk-up fare. I think we can all agree that, if anything, CO's revenue management team is rather competent regarding such issues.
Of course, but the fact remains that no other airline provides this very generous benefit (at least once DL absorbs NW) and I think a little gratitude toward the hard-working men and women who make it happen for all the OP elites would be a wonderful thing, at least now and then.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ADLFO
I, respectfully, disagree again.

EUA costs very little if you trust that management has a feel for how many F seats would sell on a plane.

EUA garners loyalty which MAKES the company money.

If CO didn't do EUAs, Ross Perot's giant sucking sound would, in this case, be the number of elites leaving for other a/ls in droves.
And where would they go? No other carriers provide this benefit, at least not nearly to the extent CO does.

Would you leave CO and fly UA where you have to pay for upgrades? Or AA, where most elites pay for upgrades as well?

Personally, I think EUA's are a wonderfully generous benefit, one which deserves a little gratitude to the employees of CO who make it happen.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Of course, but the fact remains that no other airline provides this very generous benefit (at least once DL absorbs NW) and I think a little gratitude toward the hard-working men and women who make it happen for all the OP elites would be a wonderful thing, at least now and then.
DL gives free upgrades to their elites, even on award tickets IIRC.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL offers it to its own Elites. AA offers it to top-tiers. The people who staff CO are wonderful. However, diluting FFP benefits (thus making OnePass uncompetitive with rivals' programs) to enhance the existing benefit of pass travel just doesn't add up, IMO. If CO's FFP were no longer the best option available to me, I would go elsewhere as a customer. If CO's employees are extremely unhappy with the extent of pass travel benefits provided, it's not as if anyone is forcing them to work for CO. However, I'm not exactly certain what employment they might find that would provide them with heavily discounted F cabin travel on a regular basis. If you find that job, be sure to post it in CommunityBuzz. Most of FT would be willing to apply for it, I imagine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.