FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   (Domestic) Again, Elites sit in back, non-revs up front (fact) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/944965-domestic-again-elites-sit-back-non-revs-up-front-fact.html)

CO_Nonrev_elite Apr 19, 2009 5:51 am

(Domestic) Again, Elites sit in back, non-revs up front (fact)

Date: April 18th 2009
Flight: Continental 1095 IAH- LAX

This is not speculation, misunderstanding, wrong information, this is all fact.

I, on a full Y, upgraded into F. There were 5 elites on the standby list, and my friend was number one on the list. Despite what the boarding totals stated, First Class was not full. There were 6 empty physical seats. I am basing this on counting them with my own eyes, not an anline seatmap.

About 10 minutes before doors closed, the agent walked a number of nonrevs into F and sat them. From my username, you will know I have access to various amounts of information, however in this case, I am helped by the fact that I know the nonrevs in 3E and 3F personally. I asked them how they managed to get up on passes when there are at least 5 elites in the back. They said they knew the agent, and that were basically told to go and take the seats in F and stay quiet.

I then asked the agent why she was putting nonrevs in F when there were elites in the back. I was basically told to butt out of it.

This is not speculation, this is fact.

Normally I'd just roll my eyes and let it go, but there are a lot of us who fly continental loyally, often paying a premium over other carriers in order to maintain our status, and realize the benefits that are offered to us in return for said loyalty.

Facts:
1. F (despite what the PDA site says, was not full), I saw it with my own eyes. Flight closed Booked 18, checked in 18 of of the 24 seats on the 753

Capacity: 24
Booked: 18
Checked In: 18

This information will change frequently.
This page was last refreshed Sun., Apr 19, 2009 6:40 AM Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) local time

Customers Upgraded into First Class:
DAV, H. 5E
DAV, R. 2A
HO, B. 5F
OWI, H. 1A
PHI, L. 2B
PLO, J. 4F

Five other names remained on the elite standby list, including my friend who was Number One on the list.

As I mentioned, I know two of the non-revs who were upgraded, and further check of the standby list (Not upgrade list), shows them both cleared in coach, but they sat in F. Furthermore, my friend who sat in coach sat in 27F, (and had the boarding pass for 27F) but is not the passenger listed as cleared into 27F.

Customers Cleared with Seats Assigned:
BER, L. 33E
CAS, C. 27F
CER, R. 15E
COR, B. 18A
COR, H. 17F
HAR, A. 34F
HAR, C. 25F
HAR, E. 25E
HAR, G. 34B
HEM, J. 34A
HER, A. 24B
JOH, M. 12E
JOS, M. 17E
JOS, V. 17D
KEL, T. 15D
LIS, S. 21D
LOP, M. 34C
MIS, L. 39B
MIS, N. 35E
MIS, T. 25B
PAY, Q. 15F
SCH, P. 10E
SEE, D. 41E
SEE, N. 41D
SEE, W. 40B
STO, A. 19B
TOB, V. 32C
TUR, M. 19A
VAL, J. 22E
WAT, A. 40A
WAT, G. 20A
WAT, L. 40D
WAT, M. 20B
WIL, L. 19C
YAN, C. 40E

2. At least 2 nonrevs, but I believe closer to 6 were upgraded. I know for 100% fact that two of them were non-revs as I know them, and I discussed it with them. They were not on revenue, or coair fares, they were on standard pass travel. They said they were told to take them and stay quiet. They were actually apologetic to me, and knew it was against the rules.

3. One of them was in uniform, and not deadheading.

4. While we were on a long weather delay, there was no rush to shut the doors, and the doors remained open for at least 10 minutes after the nonrevs were brought up. So this was not a last second "take any seat, we need to get out of here situation".

I know the opinion that floats around here is that Continental takes this seriously, but I'd like to see this incident followed through, not just a blanket "we'll look into it".

Unlike many on here, I love continental, I have been platinum for years, get upgraded more or less all the time, find them miles above the others in general. I do fly more or less every day of the week on a variety of carriers, and despite my annoyance tonight, am fully committed to Continental being my favourite domestic carrier.

How do we stop this happening?. Upgrades are the main benefit for most of us, and this just should not be happening with such regularity, especially at the main hub.

rlbmorton Apr 19, 2009 6:08 am

So are you going to say something to the CO powers that be? Are you saying that your friend's name did not show up as being upgraded to F but also did not show up in 27F?

CO_Nonrev_elite Apr 19, 2009 6:15 am

Originally Posted by rlbmorton (Post 11606257)
So are you going to say something to the CO powers that be? Are you saying that your friend's name did not show up as being upgraded to F but also did not show up in 27F?

My friend did not show as upgraded, and was not upgraded. They remained as number one on the list when the flight closed. They were number one on the list from about an hour pre-departure onwards.

They spent the flight in 27F, and had the boarding pass for 27F, but they are not the person listed as being in 27F

I sent it to co-insider also

PhillyPhlyer40 Apr 19, 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite (Post 11606272)
I sent it to co-insider also

And you will get the blanket...opps..we screwed up...we will do better next time.

This is what happens when you have buy-ups and hold too many seats for u/g's until T-1minute. CO stinks at this! :td:

OPFlyer Apr 19, 2009 6:47 am

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 11606350)
And you will get the blanket...opps..we screwed up...we will do better next time.

This is what happens when you have buy-ups and hold too many seats for u/g's until T-1minute. CO stinks at this! :td:

I am confident CO Insider will look into this thoroughly and act accordingly.

channa Apr 19, 2009 7:17 am

It's been a long-standing tradition with rogue CO agents to doctor the records and violate the upgrade priority.

Looks like this agent didn't doctor that well. Nice job at getting good evidence.

channa Apr 19, 2009 7:18 am

Originally Posted by OPFlyer (Post 11606359)
I am confident CO Insider will look into this thoroughly and act accordingly.

And also ask what kind of compensation your friend can expect for the denied upgrade he was entitled to.

Steph3n Apr 19, 2009 7:19 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 11606436)
It's been a long-standing tradition with rogue CO agents to doctor the records and violate the upgrade priority.

Nice job at getting good evidence.

yep, one of the few times I agree with you :D

But it takes someone knowing the system is being hijacked to document and report it properly.

Companies have to have some level of trust to their agents, and some agents abuse that trust.

channa Apr 19, 2009 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Steph3n (Post 11606441)
But it takes someone knowing the system is being hijacked to document and report it properly.

That's certainly a big part of it. The other part is a corporate culture that's willing to admit it's not perfect.

Originally Posted by Steph3n (Post 11606441)
yep, one of the few times I agree with you :D

You'll start agreeing more once you get burned. ;)

Bonehead Apr 19, 2009 7:29 am

The Gate Agent should be made an example of by being terminated (or at least demoted if termination is not possible) and the employees who knowingly took seats in FC in violation of the rules should be reprimanded. "I was only following orders" doesn't cut it.

Speaking for myself, if I don't have faith that Continental will live up to its end of the bargain then I will have no reason to fly them versus the other choices that I have out of DEN. I refuse to fly WN because I witnessed an employee blatantly disregard policy to my detriment, so I am very serious about this.

Scott, please look at this and let us know the upshot. Thank you.

Steph3n Apr 19, 2009 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 11606468)

Scott, please look at this and let us know the upshot. Thank you.

Legally they won't be able to tell us what employee action is taken in this society of today, but perhaps we can be told a bit to know that it is taken seriously.

Bonehead Apr 19, 2009 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Steph3n (Post 11606481)
Legally they won't be able to tell us what employee action is taken in this society of today, but perhaps we can be told a bit to know that it is taken seriously.

But maybe our moles can find out...

BigPoppaCO Apr 19, 2009 7:36 am

Apologies for the dumb question but what does non-rev elite mean? For that matter, does non-rev mean you are either a CO employee or someone travelling on miles?

cerealmarketer Apr 19, 2009 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 11606468)
Speaking for myself, if I don't have faith that Continental will live up to its end of the bargain then I will have no reason to fly them versus the other choices that I have out of DEN. I refuse to fly WN because I witnessed an employee blatantly disregard policy to my detriment, so I am very serious about this.

I hear United is pretty consistent about how it approaches rogue upgrades and standby clearing ;)

What happened to the OP is not excusable, but we can thank CO's unmatched transparency tools for giving him the ammo to document it and narrow the possibilities.

Steph3n Apr 19, 2009 7:39 am

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO (Post 11606488)
Apologies for the dumb question but what does non-rev elite mean? For that matter, does non-rev mean you are either a CO employee or someone travelling on miles?

I was thinking retired having access to employee fares or travel pass and using low fares but who knows