Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

(Domestic) Again, Elites sit in back, non-revs up front (fact)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Domestic) Again, Elites sit in back, non-revs up front (fact)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by channa

Isn't it protocol to call the OAL before sending the pax over? Are you saying he called NW, NW confirmed space, then NW kicked the people back?
That's correct.

And if you want anyone to get on an AA flight, you have to personally walk them over and stand there, forcing the issue of AA's acceptance of your customer.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:43 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by sfogate
J.Edward did you know that you can still have your e-tkt printed? The reason why we don't is that most airlines will not accept your printed ticket as routed if their aircraft/flight is not actually traveling with the same routing...So we don't send customers with paper tickets to other airlines and have to re-book and push the new e-tkt to the other airline.

So you see, we do the right things but get screwed by the other airlines, because they, the other airlines, refuse to follow the rules.
Thanks SFO Gate for the heads up there. I think it might be clearer if I pointed to a way to easily push a ticket from one carrier to another, regardless of the modus-operandi.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:45 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by speedster1978
I love all the silence in this... I understand it is a weekend... but would love to see at least them acknowledge this situation, even if to just cover it with a blanket statement of "We are looking into it, but plan to do nothing as always"...
I suspect something will come of this, but to be fair, this is the weekend and there's a good change the powers that be within CO have not had a chance to follow up on the issue themselves.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
That's correct.

And if you want anyone to get on an AA flight, you have to personally walk them over and stand there, forcing the issue of AA's acceptance of your customer.

Ok, now that's odd. UA rebookings to AA don't have this requirement. And AS rebooks to AA don't have this requirement. They just work.

Now I'm thinking there's something about what CO is doing that is different from other carriers.

I know when UA reissued me to UA connecting to CO, the UA agent said she was unable to get CO to accept the e-ticket (though they had my reservation). She then printed the CO segment to paper so we wouldn't have any problems.

In all the reissues UA has done (AA, NW, DL, CO), it was only CO that had the issue.

Maybe it's SHARES-related?
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Thanks SFO Gate for the heads up there. I think it might be clearer if I pointed to a way to easily push a ticket from one carrier to another, regardless of the modus-operandi.
It's not that difficult to push a ticket to another airline, it's all the rebooking and fixing the ticket for the other airline to accept without them bouncing the customer back to you because they (the other airline) does not want to fix the ticket to be accepted into their system.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Bonehead
The Gate Agent should be made an example of by being terminated (or at least demoted if termination is not possible) and the employees who knowingly took seats in FC in violation of the rules should be reprimanded. "I was only following orders" doesn't cut it.

Speaking for myself, if I don't have faith that Continental will live up to its end of the bargain then I will have no reason to fly them versus the other choices that I have out of DEN. I refuse to fly WN because I witnessed an employee blatantly disregard policy to my detriment, so I am very serious about this.

Scott, please look at this and let us know the upshot. Thank you.
In my company (much larger by any financial measure than Continental), deliberate falsification of records (and other serious ethics breeches) always results in termination even for the first offense. This is true and has happened for people ranging from wage employees through senior executives. I can assure you that if our ethics policies were deployed at Continental, these gate agent shenanigans would come to a halt quickly. After a few of their friends are fired, they would quickly learn to follow the rules. What I don't understand is why Continental does not deem these actions to be worthy of automatic termination. Surely it can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt with the computer logging every step in the process.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
it's all the rebooking and fixing the ticket for the other airline to accept without them bouncing the customer back to you because they (the other airline) does not want to fix the ticket to be accepted into their system.
I'm not following. Other carriers do this in less than a minute. What makes it so complicated at CO?
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:58 pm

Ok, now that's odd. UA rebookings to AA don't have this requirement. And AS rebooks to AA don't have this requirement. They just work.

Now I'm thinking there's something about what CO is doing that is different from other carriers.

I know when UA reissued me to UA connecting to CO, the UA agent said she was unable to get CO to accept the e-ticket (though they had my reservation). She then printed the CO segment to paper so we wouldn't have any problems.

In all the reissues UA has done (AA, NW, DL, CO), it was only CO that had the issue.

Maybe it's SHARES-related?
I should have said that the issue with AA and our customers is an SFO thing. Most of the AA SFO agents are not nice and demand a reissued paper ticket to accept customers on their flights. For some reason they don't believe or refuse to believe that a RULE 120.20 or RULE 24 or whatever this IATA rule is currently being called applies to them. A FIM, a paper ticket with the same start and stop cities or a new re-issued involunteer reroute printed on it, all means the same thing. And of course the only one they (AA) accept takes the most time of all to process.

Yeah, it could be a SHAREs thing but I'm not an IT person. We sometimes have problems pushing tickets to them as well.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 1:04 pm

I'm not following. Other carriers do this in less than a minute. What makes it so complicated at CO?
Most of the stations use SHAREs. It's an old system that requires all the steps to be manually done by the agent. You need to cancel the current segment, rebook the new segment, reissue the ticket and sync the record and then push it to the other airline.

The reissuing step is where most agents get screwed up unless they ticket alot.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Are you IAH, EWR or CLE based? If so, you're SOL! CO knows that, so be a good sheep and get back into line. Oh, btw, do you know what BOHICA stands for?

But seriously, OnePass was never on the level of the UA/AA, and arguably DL, as it does not need to be. CO's got you by sheer virtue of EWR, why would they want to compete for you on the basis of loyalty when they've got you hook, line and sinker with their schedule?

Look, with *G presumably coming to CO Golds why consider Plat? It's one of the weakest top-tier status out there. Afterall, what does it get you? The ability to have your EUR fail to clear 5 days, instead of 3 and reduced fees. <shrug>

While I personally would do a run to go from Silver >>> Gold, I doubt I'd do one to take me from Gold >>> Plat as I just really don't see the advantage as justifying the cost. But CopperSteve, you might want to keep your eyes on the MR forum as occasional CO (and others) post deals that are just too good to pass up.
I am EWR based. Baaaaaaaaaa (my bad impersonation of a sheep ). As for BOHICA, I will refrain from picking up the soap.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by speedster1978
I love all the silence in this... I understand it is a weekend... but would love to see at least them acknowledge this situation, even if to just cover it with a blanket statement of "We are looking into it, but plan to do nothing as always"...
Which CO employees do you think are tasked with monitoring FT rants 24/7??

If there is a situation that warrants follow-up it happens. I've yet to see an incident in the past 3 years where that wasn't the case. Suggesting that CO is asleep at the wheel because the folks who do that follow-up are actually enjoying their weekend and not working is just plain ridiculous. Doubly so when you consider that many of those folks went out to dinner with FTers last night just for fun.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That's a very good point ^ and something that I think you and I hold differing opinions on.

I'd argue discretion should be pushed out to the front line employees. An empowered agent, FA, GA (sfogate, pptp, etc.) who knows the system, the company and what's feasible for the customer should be given the authority to make whatever calls needed. However at the same time I'd also suggest that with a greater degree of freedom a greater extent of transparency is required for all parties involved (PDA site, internal documentation, etc.)
Yeah...I was trolling a bit there.

I do think that the front line employees should be empowered to fix problems and make things "right" for customers. But I also believe in starting from the formal rule book and working backwards from there to loosen things up. I also believe in not going ballistic on the agent if they decide not to issue a waiver in a particular instance - whatever their reasoning - as they are starting from the correct place.

Most of all, however, I believe in appropriate punishment for agents who abuse the system, as it appears happened in this case. That is absolutely a necessary part of allowing latitude to the agents. Of course, it also means establishing an enforcement squad and then making sure that they are following rules, etc. but that is part of the cost of doing business.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen

Why do the majority of CO Elites with an easy choice of alternative carriers choose CO for their travel (even when other carriers offer lower fares or better routings)?

It's because of the upgrades - free, unlimited, space-available domestic upgrades. Take that away, and the key value proposition of CO from the customer's perspective is wiped away - there is nothing to differentiate CO from DL, UA, AA, B6, WN or anyone else.

+1
Old Apr 19, 2009, 4:39 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

We're on it.

Thanks CO_Nonrev_elite for the details. As you would expect, we will be following up on this.

Upgrade integrity is something we take very seriously. While transparency tools such as continental.com/info and our new gate information displays (GIDs) go a long way to show this commitment, we still make mistakes. And when this happens, well take the necessary steps to address it.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Good thread made better by multiple use of the word 'shenanigans'.

Yes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.