Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

(Domestic) Again, Elites sit in back, non-revs up front (fact)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Domestic) Again, Elites sit in back, non-revs up front (fact)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
DL gives free upgrades to their elites, even on award tickets IIRC.
All airlines give free upgrades, even UA and AA, but the only carriers who provide "free unlimited upgrades" are currently CO and NW, soon to be only CO.

All the other carriers limit the number of free upgrades they provide.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
DL offers it to its own Elites. AA offers it to top-tiers. The people who staff CO are wonderful. However, diluting FFP benefits (thus making OnePass uncompetitive with rivals' programs) to enhance the existing benefit of pass travel just doesn't add up, IMO. If CO's FFP were no longer the best option available to me, I would go elsewhere as a customer. If CO's employees are extremely unhappy with the extent of pass travel benefits provided, it's not as if anyone is forcing them to work for CO. However, I'm not exactly certain what employment they might find that would provide them with heavily discounted F cabin travel on a regular basis. If you find that job, be sure to post it in CommunityBuzz. Most of FT would be willing to apply for it, I imagine.
I understand everything you're saying, but personally I think a little gratitude would go a long way...

Sometimes you gotta give a little to get a lot...
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
For the average hard-working airline employee, working the trenches and, for the most part, making a paltry living, this is one most prized portions of the benefits package.

That's the key: For airline employees it's not a freebie the way it is for an upgrader. For airline employees it's part of the benefits package. It's one of the main reasons they're wiling to bust so much hump for so little cash. They're working for it and have a reasonable expectation of it as one of their in-kind benefits, in lieu of actual salary.
Forget the benefits package, that's not what this is about.
Make up your mind.
EWR-LAX in FC (cheapest fare available, June 17 return June 24, random dates):

Cheapest confirmed FC fare: $1,598

Cheapest economy fare: $278

If a plat flying on that cheap V fare (unlikely, I know) is able to score an upgrade, he or she just "cost" the company $1,320.
This is so ridiculously wrong that I do not know where to begin.
  • The elite has provided long-term revenue, something that the company needs.
  • The elite has provided short-term revenue in the form of that V fare.
  • The only way that elite gets the upgrade is if they use miles or if they get a EUA. In either case the only way that CO revenue management releases that seat to be given to the person who didn't pay for the F seat is if they had no expectations of selling it anyways.
  • And, finally, the presumption that it "costs" the airline money - the difference in the fares particularly - to provide the incremental difference in service is just outright crazy and reflects a simplistic and ignorant view of the way that airlines operate.

Actually, giving away upgrades can make the company more money. Take the example of my recent trip to HAM (great city for a day trip, btw). At two weeks out CO was selling L fares for ~$400 r/t even though the back cabin was full. Why? Because they had a bunch of unsold seats up front that they could OpUp into and solve the overbooking problem. Are you suggesting that I cost CO thousands of dollars because I got an OpUp?
Of course, but the fact remains that no other airline provides this very generous benefit (at least once DL absorbs NW) and I think a little gratitude toward the hard-working men and women who make it happen for all the OP elites would be a wonderful thing, at least now and then.
Gratitude is fine. And I honestly don't care if CO decides to waive the incremental pass fee for the upgrade into F. But setting aside seats - eating into the revenue that paying customers provide - is not smart business.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
All airlines give free upgrades, even UA and AA, but the only carriers who provide "free unlimited upgrades" are currently CO and NW, soon to be only CO.

Wrong, DL does give "free unlimited upgrades."
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:45 pm

In what way does DL limit theirs? I believe that you are mistaken on this detail.
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ance/index.jsp
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
In what way does DL limit theirs? I believe that you are mistaken on this detail.
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ance/index.jsp
Some fares on DL are not eligible for upgrades...
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
And where would they go? No other carriers provide this benefit, at least not nearly to the extent CO does.

Would you leave CO and fly UA where you have to pay for upgrades? Or AA, where most elites pay for upgrades as well?

Personally, I think EUA's are a wonderfully generous benefit, one which deserves a little gratitude to the employees of CO who make it happen.
For the segment of hub captives in IAH, CLE and EWR as well as those who regularly can and do buy F fares, they probably wouldn't go anywhere. As to the rest, I'm guessing some would become free agents and fly whoever is cheapest, but I think, depending on their usual O & Ds, that most would defect to DL, and even AS to a smaller extent. If you are guaranteed no chance at flying in F, then even WN or any leagacy or LCC would enter into every travel equation.

To turn your last sentence around, don't you think COs most FFers, the ones who generate a large amount of the revenue to pay all the fine employees of CO so that they have jobs, deserve a little gratitude?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Gratitude is fine. And I honestly don't care if CO decides to waive the incremental pass fee for the upgrade into F. But setting aside seats - eating into the revenue that paying customers provide - is not smart business.
But they wouldn't be eating into revenue-generating seats, since those (for upgraders) are back in coach...
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I'm not seeing any fare exclusions:
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ades/index.jsp

In addition it seems that US also gives "free unlimited upgrades" to all elites
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content.../benefits.aspx
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I understand everything you're saying, but personally I think a little gratitude would go a long way...

Sometimes you gotta give a little to get a lot...
I show my gratitude for CO service in the form of loyalty, by booking numerous CO tickets with my own, hard-earned cash each year. My loyalty to CO is a result of the service provided by its front-line employees, and also a result of the service provided by its management-level employees, who have crafted a loyalty product that instills just that. It's not blind loyalty, by any means. I have a choice of carriers, and presently CO wins due to a mix of solid service in the air and behind the scenes. If their formula changes, so does mine. On several occasions, I have been willing to overlook (thankfully rare) poor service in the air due to other facets of CO's system. Likewise, I have been willing to overlook failings of OnePass due to consistently good service in the air.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
With the small exception of consolidator/priceline type fares, which I have never seen, and trips to HI, for all DL elites, all fares are eligible for u/gs for domestic travel (even including Canada, Bermuda, Central America, the Caribbean and the northern parts of S. America).
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
I've been reading this thread and continue to be amazed by the unwillingness of certain people to make a tactical advance to the rear and abandon their faulty argument.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I show my gratitude for CO service in the form of loyalty, by booking numerous CO tickets with my own, hard-earned cash each year. My loyalty to CO is a result of the service provided by its front-line employees, and also a result of the service provided by its management-level employees, who have crafted a loyalty product that instills just that. It's not blind loyalty, by any means. I have a choice of carriers, and presently CO wins due to a mix of solid service in the air and behind the scenes. If their formula changes, so does mine. On several occasions, I have been willing to overlook (thankfully rare) poor service in the air due to other facets of CO's system. Likewise, I have been willing to overlook failings of OnePass due to consistently good service in the air.
All agreed, all great, and that's what the system of free upgrades was designed to do.

But the fact is you are sitting in an FC seat without paying for it. It's a perk not an entitlement. The seat you paid for is in the back of the bus.

For a CO employee, on the other hand, it's presented as a benefit in lieu of better pay. Most of these jobs are no fun at all. Just think of those ticket agents, gate agents spending all those hours on their feet, facing hordes of anxious travelers, the baggage handlers who have to crawl into the bellies of the 737's and make sure all the bags are out in a flash, the mechanics who have to fix a faulty light on the cockpit panel in under ten minutes or risk a major delay in the take-off slot, etc.

I think CO frequent fliers ought to recognize them with a gesture of a few non-rev FC pass seats a year.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "limit". If you mean capacity, I am not aware how AA has any more limits than CO. In fact, CO has all Y fares and all B fares as automatically upgradable, as long as the route is not a BF route. AA leaves more seats for upgrades by only automatically upgrading YUP and KUP fares and they quantity of these inventories is limited. Not all Y fares will qualify for automatic upgrade. My upgrade percentage as an EXP on AA is much higher than it is as a PLAT on CO.

OTOH, if you mean all elite levels upgrade for free, then I agree, AA only offers "free" upgrades if you are an EXP. Otherwise you earn stickers, and you will need to purchase additional stickers if you want to upgrade for all of the available opportunities.

The notion that CO has the "best" benefits, or even the "best" upgrade policy for elites is still a debatable proposition, especially at the highest level. CO has no system-wide upgrades and IME, the BUP and YUP fares (the latter of which stay on sale until the Y inventory is sold out) reduce upgrade chances for all elites.

Finally, on the issue of "employee benefits" vs. elite benefits, CO has stated its business policy. On non-BF routes, elites take the F seats over non-rev employees. If what the OP reported was as the OP believes, the GA breached company policy, period. CO frequent flyers make business decisions based on no "employee class", i.e, no employees getting favors from buddies to the detriment of elites on the waitlist. The day the policy becomes mere lip service, customers can vote with their wallets. CO like any other business can change its policy, either by public statement or by multiple reports of breaches, but the fact that CO Insider is on the case indicates that CO takes its policy on this subject seriously.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:59 pm

Pray tell, which ones? Seriously. Which ones? The DL upgrade program is, in reality, identical to that of CO and NW for revenue tickets and will be morphing into that of the NW program for reward tickets (plat/gold are EUA eligible at the gate).

There are fares excluded from paid upgrade at the gate for non-elites IIRC (basically the sLUT fares) but that has nothing to do with the elite program and unlimited free upgrades.

But they wouldn't be eating into revenue-generating seats, since those (for upgraders) are back in coach...
Ahhh...you are looking at a single transaction, not an arc. If I find that I am paying for a ticket and I'm getting fewer upgrades because the F seats are going to employees traveling on passes then I'm out looking for greener pastures. I might even start flying B6 more. That is where CO loses revenue on such a policy.

Like I said, I have no problem with letting the employees pass ride in F just like they do in Y without a surcharge. I do have a problem with them having priority over a paying customer. That is why many elite customers pay to fly on CO. Otherwise it is limiting the value of the elite program and in the big picture that is bad for business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.