Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

(Domestic) Again, Elites sit in back, non-revs up front (fact)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Domestic) Again, Elites sit in back, non-revs up front (fact)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by waltinsocal
never allow non-revs to fly in F.
You know how you wait in great anticipation of getting upgraded and the satisfaction/relief/joy you feel when you get called up front? Well, multiply that by 1000 and you'll know what it's like to be a non-rev. It's so rare for us and such a nice treat that to propose taking it away is just plain mean. With all due respect, F' that idea!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
While I am the original poster on this thread, I am not anti non-rev, and am not at all against them being in the F cabin. I am however about sticking to the agreement that Continental offered us in return for flying our asses off.

I non-rev quite a bit, and as the last poster mentioned, it is great when you get upgraded, especially on BF routes. Domestic Upgrades for non-revs are near impossible these days
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by perezoso
Is there a point at which a nonrev is high enough in the management structure that different rules apply? I would guess so... I've never seen any CO management beside me in many trips in Row 5
Originally Posted by baglady
I once had a member of CO management on a DFW-IAH flight in coach. Granted, that's a short flight and it was one with a small front cabin. I have flown up front with other CO mgmt and it is what it is. Still better than the general "employee class" I've seen on other airlines.

This may have changed in the intervening years, but "back when", CO Vice Presidents traveling on company business were booked positive space as PS2, and the biggest bigwigs (CEO, Chairman, Board members, etc) were booked as PS1. Both of these ranks were confirmed in F, with that F seat immediately coming out of available-to-sell inventory, and IIRC they were not subject to being bumped.

Below that, it went in something like this order - Senior Directors at PS3, Directors at PS4, flight crews, cabin staff and mechanics traveling to protect a trip at PS0, worker bees (including first level managers) at PS5, and job applicants and others at PS6. All passengers at P3 and lower rank booked in Y.

PS0 passengers were considered to have "must-ride" status, and could not be bumped (for obvious reasons). Every other PS3 and lower positive space passenger was subject to being bumped if their seat was needed for a revenue passenger.

Once it was determined that a positive-space PS3 through PS6 passenger had a seat on the plane would have a seat, they then became eligible for upgrading. However, their position on the upgrade list followed all eligible revenue passengers (so the Senior Director in Y was a distinct possibility, especially on flights with high concentrations of Elite revenue passengers).

Lastly, all space-available travelers were accomodated, if possible, after all of the PS ranks were processed.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CO Insider
Thanks CO_Nonrev_elite for the details. As you would expect, we will be following up on this.

Upgrade integrity is something we take very seriously. While transparency tools such as continental.com/info and our new gate information displays (GIDs) go a long way to show this commitment, we still make mistakes. And when this happens, well take the necessary steps to address it.
Thanks, Scott...I feel better now. The integrity of the system matters to us (a lot), and we are lucky to be associated with a company that gives a hoot when that integrity is compromised.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Thanks, Scott...I feel better now. The integrity of the system matters to us (a lot), and we are lucky to be associated with a company that gives a hoot when that integrity is compromised.
ditto
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Domestic Upgrades for non-revs are near impossible these days
Welcome to the Club, its pretty much the same for us Plats as well
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pptp
You know how you wait in great anticipation of getting upgraded and the satisfaction/relief/joy you feel when you get called up front? Well, multiply that by 1000 and you'll know what it's like to be a non-rev. It's so rare for us and such a nice treat that to propose taking it away is just plain mean. With all due respect, F' that idea!
While I am certainly not condoning breaking the rules under any circumstance, and while I acknowledge the immeasurable benefit of "unlimited" free upgrades for OP elites, I also feel it is important for all CO customers to acknowledge that CAL's hard-working employees deserve this perk, at least as occasionally as it might come available to them.

Working in the front lines in the airline business is virtually akin to doing a tour of battle duty. The work is arduous and often unrewarding, the pay, for most positions, is really nothing to write home about.

One of the few perks left in the business is the ability to score a pass in the premium cabin.

I would argue that allowing non-revs in the premium cabin is, ultimately, in the best interest of elites as well, in the respect that happier employees will make for a better overall flying experience.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Consistency is critical.

EVERYONE (Continental employees AND passengers) needs to play by ALL the rules and there will be fewer problems. If one doesn't get upgraded because others are ahead of you in status or fare class, that's fine, but if you don't get upgraded beacaue a GA is upgrading buddies/schmoozers/etc that's just plain wrong.

The threat of serious disciplinary measures is something that's probably lacking and explains the upgrade gaming by a small portion of GAs. Most GAs are great at what they have to deal with. Unfortunately, a few rogue GAs probably makes their jobs even more difficult.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
...I would argue that allowing non-revs in the premium cabin is, ultimately, in the best interest of elites as well, in the respect that happier employees will make for a better overall flying experience.
I agree 100%. I think that there was only one poster who suggested that such a Draconian step be taken, and I suspect that after further consideration that individual would retract that suggestion. Almost all of the CO employees that I've come in contact with are great, and certainly deserve to ride up front when space is available. Heck, I'd love to sit next to an FA and discuss getting rid of the cheeseburger.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Originally Posted by speedster1978
I love all the silence in this... I understand it is a weekend... but would love to see at least them acknowledge this situation, even if to just cover it with a blanket statement of "We are looking into it, but plan to do nothing as always"...
Obviously, Scott's already posted but, I could have told you that this board is monitored better than any other on this site. Also, I have always had CO follow up on legit complaints - even those sent through CO.com. This airline IMO is the best at taking care of mistakes when it comes to elites
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by craz
Welcome to the Club, its pretty much the same for us Plats as well
This has not been my experience. While I am sure it is tough on EWR-LAX/SFO, I find I get upgraded on more or less every flight. I have no problem with the upgrade percentages at all
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
This has not been my experience. While I am sure it is tough on EWR-LAX/SFO, I find I get upgraded on more or less every flight. I have no problem with the upgrade percentages at all
I found that since the B-Up started that FC gets filled very fast. Thats besides LAX/SFO where CO probably gets some simple FC being purchased outright.

Also for the last min purchase the difference between anything below a B is usually so small that it probably justifies paying the little extra and confirming the FC. I imagine on the short hops its not too much of a problem but for a mid to long haul flight you can almost forget about an UP coming thru.

I fully Understand its in COs best interest to do whatever it can in order to bring as much extra $$ to the bottom line as possible, which just so happens to be the exact opposite of what Im trying to do, keep as much $$ in my pocket. So with a UA comp to PE Ive just booked 3 trips total actual EQMs 40k = 80k under DEQMs. Every flight I was able to get a decnt seat in the E+ section. Now I understand UA doesnt serve hot snacks at meal times as CO does, but since I can eat only a Special meal and CO only offers them on its Trancons and Intl flights and UA offers them on its Intl flights I wont be missing much in that regard.

I havent decided if I will jump ship 100%, I need to experience UA 1st and see how the Alliance will workout. But safe to say it will nice knowing I can fly any # of carriers out of EWR or JFK to get non-stop to Europe and not have to rely only on CO so even if I remain with CO I dont know how much of my Intl flights will be on CO any longer

No question COs FC is much better then being in UAs E+, but Id rather be in UAs E+ then COs Y anyday, and with speaking with friends I find more and more are not getting the UP and end up in COs Y, so under that situation Id rather book UA and know I will be in E+ and if I use the certs I earn possibily even FC or Biz
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
I've wondered why the system can't be modified to give employees a better chance to fly up front occasionally... e.g. a certain number of passes a year that put them at the top of the silver or gold list. Something to make it more likely they get a seat on occasion over lower-level elites (like me). Then severely punish GAs who deviate from the list for reasons like those in this post. It would be a fairer system to everyone. Silvers and Golds really have no place to argue DYKIA nor that they have any realistic expectation of an upgrade... employees get upgraded a little more often (admittedly a nice perk), and the integrity of the system is better maintained from errant GAs who just want to put their friends up front.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I am loving the B-up fare... my last 2 transcons were both B-up's that were actually "in policy" according to my company's Travelport. It's like Christmas in April...
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by idayvuelta
I've wondered why the system can't be modified to give employees a better chance to fly up front occasionally... e.g. a certain number of passes a year that put them at the top of the silver or gold list. Something to make it more likely they get a seat on occasion over lower-level elites (like me). Then severely punish GAs who deviate from the list for reasons like those in this post. It would be a fairer system to everyone. Silvers and Golds really have no place to argue DYKIA nor that they have any realistic expectation of an upgrade... employees get upgraded a little more often (admittedly a nice perk), and the integrity of the system is better maintained from errant GAs who just want to put their friends up front.
Are you kidding me?

CO has over 20,000 employees - you're suggesting the company issue 40,000+ upgrade passes which put them ahead of paying Silvers and Golds?

No offense, but if you want to give up your seat to an employee, feel free to do so.

I never worked for CO, but I was a pass-rider on both Delta, Eastern and used Buddy Passes on CO. I knew how the system worked, what the rules were, and what "free" travel meant. An employee pass rider flying up front is fine - but only after paying customers are accommodated. Airline pay is low, true - but so is Walmart pay, McDonalds pay and work in a plethora of other industries and positions.

CO already puts employees in BF on Int'l flights in lieu of upgrading paying Elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.