Search

Teh Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Morning Box.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Just obtained a Starbuck's Ice Chai Latte.^ I think I'll have some water fun and wash the cars. Kill 2 birds with one stone by doing it in the backyard and not wasting water in the street.

msv - how long are you in SFO?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sdm1130
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think I'm in love with the Texas Hill Country. We spent the day driving around visiting a few of the local wineries and taking in the scenery. We then checked in to the Westin La Cantera outside of San Antonio where we were upgraded to one of the private Casitas that includes our own personal golf cart for getting around the resort - very . The weather out here has been absolutely perfect! ^
That's awesome on the upgrade. The Hill Country is a great part of Texas. Glad you're getting to enjoy it.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by msv
The non Hilton people would have had a field day with the check-in fiasco. Apparently they had almost no housekeeping staff on duty and the towels are exactly 2 wash cloths with a promise to get them here soon. (Would have been nice to know before taking a shower)
Are you at the San Francisco Hilton near Union Square? That hotel has been having housekeeping labor issues for months now. When we were there in April, coworkers of mine were staying there (we were at the W) and housekeeping was on and off strike all week.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colpuck
Greetings from maui.

So I rented a car and decided to drive around Maui. Figuring that such things could take a long time I decided to drive only half the island. My plan was to set out north west from the airport along the coast. When I mentioned my plan to the avis agent says that was "not recommended" and that driving a certain stretch of road would "invalidated my rental contract."

She proceeded to give me directions to Lahaina from the rental car facility.

Yeah, I'm :rollpuck:, f-that. I stuck to my original plan.

Bad idea.

The highway turns into a one lane road, that winds around sheer cliffs. Don't EVER EVER think about doing that. I am praying that I am not going to get pushed off a cliff going around a blind corner.

After an hour of driving at 5mph, I made it out. Just after that there was a scenic overlook where a bunch of cars were parked. I decided it was time to "explore." I end up climbing down a lava rock face out onto a rock jetty about 100 feet down from where my car was parked. On my way down I scrape up my arm. The worst was yet to come.

I had to get back up.

I set upon a really horrible route. I basically came to a jump about 50 feet above the coast. Hugging the lava rockface I had to make it. Miss the jump and I fall in all probability to my death. Well I double down, burn what little karma I have and make. In the process I slammed my hand on a jagged handhold, slicing open the palm of my right hand. I make it back to my car, where I wrap a spare piece of clothing around my hand, till I could get some cleaning materials from a convenience store.

I made it down around the coast to Lahaina. I hate that town, it is my version of hell. Thankfully I remembered passing a maui brewing company on the highway. I backtracked to the company where I am now.
Yuck. Glad you're not any worse than you are, but definitely go get that checked out.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
phudnik, I heard back from my ol' boss. He forwarded the e-mail to the people who take care of the website. Here is the new link for you.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:24 am
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Ah, a tussle with bureaucrats to get involved in. I have a trip coming soon, which will entail the lab going along as far as Colo. Called the woman who takes him to the Cherry Creek off-leash area for retrieving and swimming when I can't, and she tells me that the effort to restrict dog availability of the Park to a shadow of its current size and state (no wetlands) is reaching its climax.

Apparently the Corp of Engineers, which owns the flood plain that the park entails, feels that the dogs damage the banks and vegetation (whenever the flash floods don't do that naturally), and want the pooches outta there. It is, however, one of the best public places in the West to exercise wetlands retrievers, or just any dog that knows high weeds, mud and stinky water are the best things a dog can hope for.

There's a nice picture of of one of Mr. Dog's favorite spots on this website, so you can see why people are a little upset with this.

http://www.dogparkusa.com/colorado/d...leash-dog-area
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by xFF
There's a nice picture of of one of Mr. Dog's favorite spots on this website, so you can see why people are a little upset with this.

http://www.dogparkusa.com/colorado/d...leash-dog-area
Looks like doggie heaven.:-: My dog would certainly bolt after something in a place like that. She's not reliable off leash. I wish we had an enclosed dog park nearby.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
I really hate giving US my money.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Morning box! I just love mondays off. Specially when they are soooo freaking hot like today!
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by photog72
phudnik, I heard back from my ol' boss. He forwarded the e-mail to the people who take care of the website. Here is the new link for you.
Thank you, that's awesome (in the non-ironic sense). ^ My kid doesn't appear in the video but some of the other kids in her group do.

ETA this proves the benefits of the Penalty Box to my wife...

Originally Posted by Mackieman
You and me both. It's a challenge when one lives in one of their hub cities.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:54 am
xFF

Originally Posted by cheepneezy
Looks like doggie heaven.:-: My dog would certainly bolt after something in a place like that. She's not reliable off leash. I wish we had an enclosed dog park nearby.
Amazingly, most dogs stay pretty close; they're happy and run around, but a little insecure, and keep the boss in sight. Yours is a herding breed, right?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Sorry for your loss. Sadly US is a necessary evil sometimes.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I give us my money all the time, I just make sure to get back.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:11 am
xFF

Nice little Low off LA (Invest 95). Computer models don't have a clue; one sends it over IAH and into central TX, one sends it to the panhandle, another one sends it (literally) up and into Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.