Wiki Posts
Search

Teh Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:29 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
More like on the order of a second - really about a half for most P&S cameras these days - rather than milliseconds.
So this suggests that what I probably want is a small form factor digital "to go along" and a (rugged) film camera for the field stuff. I know it's not likely to find the flat form in a film camera, but, again, it looks like it's two different animals anyway.

That make sense?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
So after facing, organizing, rubberbanding, and in some cases marking with Sharpie a total of 3,500 valet parking tickets...I still have to be here for another 90 minutes.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:32 pm
xFF

Originally Posted by sbm12
More like on the order of a second - really about a half for most P&S cameras these days - rather than milliseconds. I would expect to be disappointed based on the types of situations you've described
I just thought of something, though: you posted a photo of a raptor carrying a fish not long ago (maybe even from Scotland). I doubt you waited a second for that shot. Was that some industrial strength SLR style camera you were using?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by xFF
So this suggests that what I probably want is a small form factor digital "to go along" and a (rugged) film camera for the field stuff. I know it's not likely to find the flat form in a film camera, but, again, it looks like it's two different animals anyway.

That make sense?
All except the part about film. DSLR's do not have shutter lag, and 'tis better to be all-digital.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Hi Box, greetings from the Aloft in Overland Park, KS. I had to switch rooms because, and this is a first for me, my original room had no bed. Now there's many things that I'm usually willing to let slide, but really, I had to draw the line here.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xFF
I just thought of something, though: you posted a photo of a raptor carrying a fish not long ago (maybe even from Scotland). I doubt you waited a second for that shot. Was that some industrial strength SLR style camera you were using?
Digital that has a full-auto option resulting in many frames per second. The low end of the spectrum is three per, and if you want to spend $5k for a pro piece of gear that you will find on NFL sidelines you can get up to 10fps.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
The president of Nigeria has decided to not disband their team after the World Cup, despite "consistent embarrassment to Nigeria on the world stage".
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adelauro
Hi Box, greetings from the Aloft in Overland Park, KS. I had to switch rooms because, and this is a first for me, my original room had no bed. Now there's many things that I'm usually willing to let slide, but really, I had to draw the line here.
Happened to me at the Hilton AMS. Room was still configured for conference use; walked in to find no bed.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adelauro
I've stayed in many hotels but have never encountered this problem.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:37 pm
xFF

Speaking of cameras and their input raw material, light, I was outside about 10 minutes ago, and the last minutes of the sun tonight were that beautiful yellow light that the old European directors would wait days for, to shoot their important scenes. Just gorgeous. Not much of that here, but Arizona gets it quite often. The greens of summer just never look more wonderful than in that light.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icurhere2
The president of Nigeria has decided to not disband their team after the World Cup, despite "consistent embarrassment to Nigeria on the world stage".
El Presidente has other worries about the use of "embarrassment" and "Nigeria" in the same sentence.

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by icurhere2
I think you can go ahead and confirm UA with "6" - there's no way CO and/or OneWorld USA could have a worse VDB voucher process than UA.
Is this based on the fact that you have to go to the airport? I don't believe that it's that big of a deal. At least with UA's you can keep a residual value, some of the others don't allow that.
xFF

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Digital that has a full-auto option resulting in many frames per second.
But full-body only, not point and shoot items, right?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What? Dave Chappelle causes emergency landing?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xFF
Not industrial strength at all. It is a Pentax K-x. It is their low-end intro model DSLR. Of course, I only posted/shared the one that came out. There are plenty of missed frames, too. But with a $45 SD card able to hold 2500 shots I'm not to worried about firing off a ton of exposures and hoping something came out.

Here's another from a couple days after the previous one. There are a dozen or so "misses" pointed in the same general area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.