Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Teh Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Wirelessly posted (HTC TouchPro2 (Sprint): Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

Operation VDB is a rousing success (thanks to the well-wishers). The opening offer was $300 but I'm hanging near the gate since they need 4 more volunteers willing to go tomorrow so that number should hopefully go up.

The karma-fairy will be smiling on me.....the GA told me that she's putting a sweet little old lady who's been at EWR since this morning in my seat.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by FT Lurker
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.57 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

In cab to SFO at the end of a great weekend. Anybody around this afternoon? I depart on UA 8
Yeah I am at the Ochosquares lounge in SFO thanks
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Wirelessly posted (HTC TouchPro2 (Sprint): Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

Originally Posted by Steve GadFly

Operation VDB is a miserable failure (thanks for nothing well-wishers) (kidding). The opening offer was $300 but I'm not getting jack squat.

The karma-fairy can bite me.....the GA told me that she's putting a sweet little old lady who's been at EWR since this morning in my seat.
Fixed it for myself.....7 no-shows later and they don't need my seat. The old bag is in 9B (just kidding....she still seems sweet). I think I need VDB lessons from colpuck

Last edited by Steve GadFly; Jul 5, 2010 at 2:26 pm Reason: damn no-shows
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Good afternoon Box. Made it home from PSP before the major traffic started.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP

Fixed it for myself.....7 no-shows later and they don't need my seat. The old bag is in 9B (just kidding....she still seems sweet). I think I need VDB lessons from colpuck

Unfortunate to hear
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:58 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Decided I need a digital camera. Looking at a review site, 3w's dot digitalcamerainfo dot com, their #1 overall choice is the Canon EOS 7D around $1400. Their #1 point and shoot (that sounds more like me) is the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 around $350, and the best under $100 is the Nikon Coolpix S630. The latter is panned because its video sucks. I don't want video, so I'm guessing the extra 250 for their top choice is something I won't/don't need.

Any thoughts on going the cheapo route? I just want something to carry around and get some shots of stuff, outdoors.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Use www.dpreview.com for camera info. Tremendously valuable site.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by xFF
Decided I need a digital camera. Looking at a review site, 3w's dot digitalcamerainfo dot com, their #1 overall choice is the Canon EOS 7D around $1400. Their #1 point and shoot (that sounds more like me) is the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 around $350, and the best under $100 is the Nikon Coolpix S630. The latter is panned because its video sucks. I don't want video, so I'm guessing the extra 250 for their top choice is something I won't/don't need.

Any thoughts on going the cheapo route? I just want something to carry around and get some shots of stuff, outdoors.
On my last trip to Brazil, I brought my cannon that is a step up from a point and shoot, and my friends who came along brought their fancy SLR. We all agreed that the pictures from my camera were as good or better than their pics, and with a 10x Optical zoom, it is a GREAT camera.

IMO, if you are a leisure photographer, this is the camera to go with. It's a little bigger than a regular small point and shoot, but it will still fit in a cargo pocket, and the 10x zoom is key for great photographs.

Takes excellent low light shots!

Here is a link.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: Il Postino della PWP, CO, TrueBlue, Priority Club
I go to Florida during July to escape the fierce NJ heat. :-:
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:36 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Use www.dpreview.com for camera info. Tremendously valuable site.
Originally Posted by carvalh2
IMO, if you are a leisure photographer, this is the camera to go with. It's a little bigger than a regular small point and shoot, but it will still fit in a cargo pocket, and the 10x zoom is key for great photographs.
There's a Canon Powershot S90 on sbm12's recommended site above, showing 75% (of something). I read the review, and its appearance is what I was envisioning, but it seems to only have 4x zoom. I'm going to have to look at this all a little closer, but with your recommendation, it's probably going to be a Canon with high zoom and a nice sleek in-the-pocket profile.

Thanks, both.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Made it to sunny CLL; the trip only took about two hours, great time for the end of a holiday weekend.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by icurhere2
Originally Posted by colpuck
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I give us my money all the time, I just make sure to get back.
I don't think I've ever taken a VDB from US. Then again I avoid interacting with US by design.
Their VDBs are fairly useful, you can book on to codeshare flights unlike UA and AS.

It has been long time since my last dl or co bump, can those be used on codeshares?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Operation VDB is a miserable failure (thanks for nothing well-wishers) (kidding). The opening offer was $300 but I'm not getting jack squat.

The karma-fairy can bite me.....the GA told me that she's putting a sweet little old lady who's been at EWR since this morning in my seat.

Dooder this happens to me all the time, but like ALCO says I am a volume grifter.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS is pimping their card in the cabin.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by xFF

First thing to do is select the price range you want. Then visit the site that sbm12 posted. Then look around for a camera that's in your price range (may have to check retailers as cameras don't sell for MSRP). I'm usually a Canon person for point and shoot but I currently have a Panasonic Lumix ZR3. It's small, good zoom, and good photo quality. My only real complaint is shutter lag (typical w/ most point and shoots) and low light could be better. I bought it mainly for for its small size, zoom, and quality of the lense. The first few pages in my Flickr account (see signature) are photos taken with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.