Wiki Posts
Search

17-19 SEP 2010:The VIE Waltz-DO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ac777
Do we need to buy a Vienna Card for this event ?
Good Question.

We intend to take a train to/from Wien-Mitte and walk between there and the Hilton Stadtpark.

And, of course getting around on bus and tram.

We would only just squeeze the 72 hours usage in - but is it worth the purchase price?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Sent my info with a simple encoding. Asked to be PMd for the key.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by serfty
We intend to take a train to/from Wien-Mitte and walk between there and the Hilton Stadtpark.
Well that's about 50 feet/meters

Cheers.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well that's about 50 feet/meters

Cheers.
Definitely get the pass then.

Glad that you found flights Skia
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:28 am
uk1
Suspended

If anyone is traveling with a partner ..... and staying for three or more days (ie two nights or more) you may want to consider the 8 day strip which gives 4 days travel for two people in the central area for € 28,80. The Vienna Card would be € 37 for two people for one day less ie 72 hours - but gives discounts that many never use.

This isn't as well known to tourists as the Vienna Card but for many is a better deal. Two people simply stamp two tickets for the first trip on each day. Any part of the ticket unused can be used on a subsequent trip - so long as the fares didn't go up in the interim, in which case they seem to give a few months notice to use old tickets.

Last edited by uk1; Aug 28, 2010 at 12:36 am
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: AC MM 50K, Marriott LTT
Another option is to consider a 24h, 48h or 72h Vienna ticket and include an airport transfer. Current cost for a 72h is 13.60. Add on the return OBB airport train transfer and the total is 17.20.

This can be done online in one transaction and with the print your own ticket option you are ready to travel upon arrival in Vienna. For my needs, this is convenient and provides good value.

https://shop.wienerlinien.at/

See you all soon.

Last edited by Melville; Aug 28, 2010 at 7:07 am Reason: just figured out how to enter on keyboard ... cool
Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Melville
Another option is to consider a 24h, 48h or 72h Vienna ticket and include an airport transfer. Current cost for a 72h is 13.60 Euros. Add on the return OBB airport train transfer and the total is 17.20 Euros.
Thanks for the link. I see the price for a 72h ticket including the return CAT transfer is 29.60.

There is a useful thread in the Europe forum about transport between the airport and the city if anyone hasn't noticed it yet.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...no-subway.html
Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:58 am

Yes, the CAT is not cheap. Have done the OBB and the CAT. CAT is very nice and may be easier if traveling with lots of luggage.

Will be taking the 'frugal' OBB this trip.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:26 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Melville
Another option is to consider a 24h, 48h or 72h Vienna ticket and include an airport transfer. Current cost for a 72h is €13.60. Add on the return OBB airport train transfer and the total is €17.20.

This can be done online in one transaction and with the print your own ticket option you are ready to travel upon arrival in Vienna. For my needs, this is convenient and provides good value.

https://shop.wienerlinien.at/

See you all soon.
It's another great option. The only downside (I think) is that you have to have ID or a passport with you whilst you travel if you print it off?

I have a feeling I mentioned this before .... so hope I'm not repeating myself.

For anyone that wants taxi transfers - particularly M&M members - then AirportDriver does a greet taxi service for 31euros or a Limo at 36 euros. They greet you with a name card as you come through the doors and also have a counter right at the arrival hall. It's good value - particularly on the return journey when premiums are often added by other standard taxis from hotels.

As they monitor the flights - there's no charge if your flight is late. You don't pay in advance - and you get M&M miles.

Last edited by uk1; Aug 28, 2010 at 7:45 am
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by uk1
It's another great option. The only downside (I think) is that you have to have ID or a passport with you whilst you travel if you print it off?

The website does mention this point under the heading "How can you travel with the ticket?".

https://shop.wienerlinien.at/index.php/cms/page/27.0

Not a bother for this FTer.

Last edited by Melville; Aug 28, 2010 at 11:45 am Reason: link added
Old Aug 28, 2010, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to add, the weekly ticket costs €14.00. Since I'm staying 4 nights that is a great deal. With the OBB return it is €17.60.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
as of today we opened the registration for the austrian airlines airport pre-DO event. the registration is hosted on a seperate password protected website.

due to the limited group size (max 35) the terms&conditions are:
  • There is no registration fee for the event.
  • Until 1st of September the registration is restricted to attendees of the VIE waltz DO (at least one DO event has to be ticketed)
  • On 1st September the registration site is opened to everyone (if space is still available)
  • The airport event will start at 09:00am and finish at around 17:30
  • Joining the group after 09:00 is not possible
  • Registered and ticketed attendees have already received an email with further instructions
  • New VIE DO registrants will receive this info in their confirmation mail after processing their payment.
  • The detailed program of the airport day is not confirmed yet. However the list of possible activities is very very promising. We will post further details on the airport day as soon as everything is fixed.

Cheers from Munich
CHris
I should find out within 48 hours if I am able to book my flight. I want to check and see if there is still room to confirm this event. Thank you.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: LH G, CO G, BA B, HH G, PC P, SW G, Sixt P, Hertz G and YES A|Club G :)
Unfortunately will not be able to make it to WIEN....wish you all a very good DO...
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:04 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by szg

Thursday:
- Come together party at evening
Any update on this?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by lili
Any update on this?
I was starting to get worried as there were no postings on this --now I feel relieved!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.