Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moscow Travel Thread...Possible DO??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2009, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JenGal
Thanks for doing all the legwork on this Green. I wish I had a brilliant option #5, but you've covered it well. I think we (me +1) would still like to go there, but it may be better to just try small groups ... can't exactly talk to 25 people at a restaurant table anyway.
Hmmm, seems like we're going to give this restaurant a lot of business in the next few weeks. Anybody in Moscow who speaks Russian want to negotiate a "special" flyertalk price for us?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:30 pm

Location: Chicago - AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott PL, Starwood PL, Hyatt Gold
I will be in Moscow on 5/3 (+1) and would also like to do dinner that night.

Has someone made a reservation already?

Originally Posted by iahphx
Hey guys --

Sorry to be out of the loop for the past 2 weeks. I've been travelling (shocking for a flyertalker, right? .

My wife and I can definitely make it to Glavpivtorg on 5/3, so if there's a rez, add 2. Thanks.

BTW, does anyone know the approximate cost of a meal there? I assume they don't take credit cards, right? We're leaving on the 4th, so I'll probably be drawing down my rubles by then (although perhaps I can trade greenbacks for rubles with someone if my math turns out wrong).
Old Apr 21, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Is there anyone going to Moscow from the DC area?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Madhouse24
I am (+2), DCA-ORD-DME this Friday (4/24), return 4/29.

Also, regarding the KGB tour, per Oleg (tour operator):

"Unfortunately, the museum is closed for the public.
Sorry, I can not be much of help at this point."

Considering a day trip to St. Petersburg by train as a backup for anyone interested.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:07 pm

Programs: No Longer Anything
Yes I am +1. IAD to DME 23rd (wohoo - in 2 days), return 27th. Others are routing thru IAD from other cities.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: US G, AA G, HHonors Silver
Another DC person here. Just a quick trip - I am going from IAD 5/1 - 5/4.

Originally Posted by azepine00
Let's tentatively target sunday 5/3 7 pm at Glavpivtorg.

Perhaps we can arrange smth else for sat.
Definitely count me in (+0).
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UNHBuzzard, thanks for making contact.

It doesn't seem like the ex-KGB tour will pan out.

iahphx, I second that. Calling FT'ers in Moscow - anyone able to negotiate pricing for two large dinner groups at Glavpivtorg (4/25 and 5/3)?

Last edited by GreenFireflyer; Apr 21, 2009 at 8:32 pm
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iahphx
Hey guys --

Sorry to be out of the loop for the past 2 weeks. I've been travelling (shocking for a flyertalker, right? .

My wife and I can definitely make it to Glavpivtorg on 5/3, so if there's a rez, add 2. Thanks.

BTW, does anyone know the approximate cost of a meal there? I assume they don't take credit cards, right? We're leaving on the 4th, so I'll probably be drawing down my rubles by then (although perhaps I can trade greenbacks for rubles with someone if my math turns out wrong).
No reservation yet for 5/3 but I'll make one once we get there. The group is definitely much smaller that weekend so I don't anticipate any issues.
My guess is that a dinner will run appr $40-50 without drinks
Here is the link (in russian only) http://www.glavpivtorg.ru/priemnaya/

Alternatively Park Hyatt Ararat has a great Armenian restaurant (Cafe Ararat - probably the best in Moscow) and according to my folio from 2 years back, a dinner for two was $100 without alcohol. The place is 2 blocks away from Glavpivtorg and may serve as a backup (I'll be staying at PH as well)
Old Apr 22, 2009, 4:02 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
If anyone is going near Red Square (besides touring) getting souverneirs, there's a some things I forgot due to a compressed time schedule...I wonder if I could give some money to anyone to pick those things up for me?

PM if possible

Thanks^

btw...it was 42 degrees there on Monday
Old Apr 22, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Madhouse24: PM sent.

Not sure if any of y'all have taken a quick second on what to look out for when using ATM's overseas (or here in the US for that matter), but here's a quick pdf on what to keep your eye out for. I have to send these out quarterly to our employees for compliance, but hopefully it will benefit someone here.

http://www.srefp.com/pdf/ARM_STU_08Q2_ATM_Security.pdf
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by UncleJed
Obviously.

I was asking if people were doing it at check-in vs trying to get the return BP at the RCC at their origin point, not whether they could do it at DME. Its been abundantly clear to everyone for weeks that that wouldn't work, and I don't think anyone was talking about that.

My concern was primarily if I was going to get a ration of @#$& from the TAs at IAD or not - it wouldn't be the first time that happened when I was doing something unusual. And yes, I have all the paperwork printed out.
I just posted my same day turn experience in this thread. Hope that helps.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:23 pm

I made a Glavpivtorg 7pm reservation for April 25 with eight people. This was the max they would allow for this night without prepayment or a set menu.

Even with his group separate, we are still 3+ people over the reserved "8" Glav. allowed me to book. Would anyone (Russian speaking, preferably) be able to make a second reservation for AMRivlin +1, TelevisionTina and lesenok?

Last edited by GreenFireflyer; Apr 22, 2009 at 10:34 pm
Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA "joe regular"
Originally Posted by GreenFireflyer
I made a Glavpivtorg 7pm reservation for April 25 with eight people. This was the max they would allow for this night without prepayment or a set menu.

Tchaka +11 please PM me if you'd like the restaurant phone number/contact to make an additional reservation.

Even with his group separate, we are still 3+ people over the reserved "8" Glav. allowed me to book. Would anyone (Russian speaking, preferably) be able to make a second reservation for AMRivlin +1 and lesenok?

Hey GreenFire, sorry for the delay...i'm not on FT as often as I should be. One of the +12 has been in communication and we do have the phone number for Glavpivtorg. We will likely need another table because even if we don't have all 13 of us, we should be able to show up 6-8 strong. I will email him about a reservation. We'll post (or I'll PM you) the final verdict,ie, reservation name. My issue with the set menu is that I might not want what they're serving. And my my proxy-wife doesn't eat certain foods. Therefore I'd prefer we were in groups of <10.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold
Catching up

Hi All,

I apologize for not keeping up with the thread. Work got in the way.

I will send some PM's a little later tonight but, wanted to quickly say...

I'm in for Moscow City Tour on Saturday 4/25 and Dinner (if someone has room for 1 in their reservation).

Also, wondering about Kremlin Tour????
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:49 pm

I just booked a Moscow City tour here:

http://www.viator.com/Russia/d65-ttd

April 25 at 10:30am. $35 for 3 hours.
All are welcome to join if interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.