Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moscow Travel Thread...Possible DO??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
Originally Posted by GreenFireflyer
Let's talk tours. I see lots of interest for tours of Moscow, Kremlin, Red Square, etc. during the 24-27 of April. Here're a couple of links:

http://russiatravel-pdtours.netfirms.com/sched.htm

http://www.viator.com/Russia/d65-ttd
We have decided on a Moscow City tour on Saturday morning. Appears either company will do.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by SoxIn7
IAD-DME-IAD 4/25-4/26

Stuck in Y. Would appreciate any generous sponsorship for RCC or E+
I'm doing the same - I can guest 2 into the RCC at IAD.

Incidentally, for those doing same-day turns have you been getting the DME-IAD BP at check-in, or airside (IAD RCC)?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA PLT
I'm planning to get both boarding cards at IAD. I don't know how easy it will be to convince anyone in Moscow that I'm turning around without a visa unless I've already got my boarding card ready.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
I finally broke down and bought a ticket for a quick turnaround to help me get to 1k. I'll be doing SEA-IAD-DME-IAD-SEA flying out on 4/25, and returning on 4/26.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: * A
Originally Posted by dyung
I finally broke down and bought a ticket for a quick turnaround to help me get to 1k. I'll be doing SEA-IAD-DME-IAD-SEA flying out on 4/25, and returning on 4/26.
attaboy
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by SoxIn7
I'm planning to get both boarding cards at IAD. I don't know how easy it will be to convince anyone in Moscow that I'm turning around without a visa unless I've already got my boarding card ready.
Right, what I meant was are people doing it at IAD checkin or airside at IAD - obviously doing at at DME is a no-go without a visa. I was curious if people are having an easier time with one or the other, or if it just doesn't matter at all.

Of course, now that I think about it more it would seem that you pretty much have to do it at check-in to avoid the visa discussion.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by UncleJed
Right, what I meant was are people doing it at IAD checkin or airside at IAD - obviously doing at at DME is a no-go without a visa. I was curious if people are having an easier time with one or the other, or if it just doesn't matter at all.

Of course, now that I think about it more it would seem that you pretty much have to do it at check-in to avoid the visa discussion.
Not IAD, but I did checkin at ORD.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Let's talk tours. I see lots of interest for tours of Moscow, Kremlin, Red Square, etc. during the 24-27 of April. Here're a couple of links:

http://russiatravel-pdtours.netfirms.com/sched.htm

http://www.viator.com/Russia/d65-ttd

Once tours are chosen, I'll add a "who's doing what when" list to post #139 this weekend.

Oh, and welcome to our group lesenok.
On our end, add +3 for dinner on the 25th, +3 for the tour on the 26th (either tour... what about some type of hop on/hop off bus tour?), and +3 for the ex-KGB tour on the 27th. We should probably reserve soon so we can secure these, let me know if you want me to pick up any slack here. Those staying past the 27th we're contemplating a day trip to St. Petersburg or just going to some markets/statue park.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UncleJed

See my post 124 below .. you MUST get the DME-IAD BP in the USA, ideally at IAD, or you are TOAST.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11566867-post124.html

Glen
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
See my post 124 below .. you MUST get the DME-IAD BP in the USA, ideally at IAD, or you are TOAST.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11566867-post124.html

Glen
Obviously.

I was asking if people were doing it at check-in vs trying to get the return BP at the RCC at their origin point, not whether they could do it at DME. Its been abundantly clear to everyone for weeks that that wouldn't work, and I don't think anyone was talking about that.

My concern was primarily if I was going to get a ration of @#$& from the TAs at IAD or not - it wouldn't be the first time that happened when I was doing something unusual. And yes, I have all the paperwork printed out.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
UNHBuzzard, thanks for the offer. I'll be contacting Glavpivtorg today to set up our dinner reservation. Since I will not be doing the ex-KGB tour though, could you assist by making that reservation in your name? According to posts, it looks like there will be 5 attendees unless I missed someone.

Thanks,

Green
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
UNHBuzzard, thanks for the offer. I'll be contacting Glavpivtorg today to set up our dinner reservation. Since I will not be doing the ex-KGB tour though, could you assist by making that reservation in your name? According to posts, it looks like there will be 5 attendees unless I missed someone.

Thanks,

Green
Should be 6 of us including AMRivlin's +1 (pm sent to AMRivlin & TelevisionTDTina btw if you subscribed to this thread). Green- on #139 it is myself +2 (3 total) so we can update the qty of attendees. Thanks! -Aaron
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
Glavpivtorg Restaurant Update!

Re Glavpivtorg -

I called to make reservations for 25 at 7pm April 25 under the name "Green".

The manager said that with parties over 10 people, they do a set full dinner (appetizers, salad, soups, main course, dessert etc.) provided to the tune of 3000 rubles ($70-75) each. She wanted to send me a menu via email for people to pick and choose which items they would like included. I asked if we could split our group into three as to avoid this. No.

I said I'd need to check with the group, as many may not have been planning to have such a large meal.

She also said that Saturdays are very busy, so without a reservation it will be difficult to get in. Also, she asked if prepayment was an option. I said preferably not. And...there was no one there that spoke English (at least when I called).

So....the way I see it, there are 4 options:

1. Be prepared to spend $70 per person and select menu ahead of time.

2. A representative from each "family" make separate reservations and we all just happen to end up there at the same time.

3. Meet in front of the restaurant at 7pm, then the group of us split into smaller groups and try to get in. Failing that, try somewhere else.

4. Select a different restaurant.

Feedback, please. Or a brilliant option #5.

Last edited by GreenFireflyer; Apr 21, 2009 at 10:22 am
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
Let's tentatively target sunday 5/3 7 pm at Glavpivtorg.

Perhaps we can arrange smth else for sat.
Hey guys --

Sorry to be out of the loop for the past 2 weeks. I've been travelling (shocking for a flyertalker, right? .

My wife and I can definitely make it to Glavpivtorg on 5/3, so if there's a rez, add 2. Thanks.

BTW, does anyone know the approximate cost of a meal there? I assume they don't take credit cards, right? We're leaving on the 4th, so I'll probably be drawing down my rubles by then (although perhaps I can trade greenbacks for rubles with someone if my math turns out wrong).
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: No Longer Anything
Re Glavpivtorg -

I called to make reservations for 25 at 7pm April 25 under the name "Green".

So....the way I see it, there are 4 options:

1. Be prepared to spend $70 per person and select menu ahead of time.

2. A representative from each "family" make separate reservations and we all just happen to end up there at the same time.

3. Meet in front of the restaurant at 7pm, then the group of us split into smaller groups and try to get in. Failing that, try somewhere else.

4. Select a different restaurant.

Feedback, please. Or a brilliant option #5.
Thanks for doing all the legwork on this Green. I wish I had a brilliant option #5, but you've covered it well. I think we (me +1) would still like to go there, but it may be better to just try small groups ... can't exactly talk to 25 people at a restaurant table anyway. So if we go in as smaller groups we would probably get tables of a comfortable size (like 6 or 8).

Or, I like the option of having people make separate reservations. I would be willing to add four or so more people to me +1, and make a reservation for 6, maybe up to 8. Hopefully that wouldn't cause too big a problem for the restaurant.

Oh, but you mention that noone speaks english at the restaurant. Do you speak Russian? ^ If we decide to go this way, and I get 4 -6 others who want to be on my reservation, I will call the restaurant on Friday when I get to the hotel. Or do you think that would be too late. ??

Sorry, so many questions ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.