Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moscow Travel Thread...Possible DO??

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2009, 7:08 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Nice to meet everyone last night. I've got a group photo but cant post it from this executive lounge computer.

apoivre, we're on an overnight train to St. Petersburg tonight, but we'll be back in Moscow Thursday. Despite Alex and Sophie's best efforts we never did find an Irish pub last night; Silvers has apparently turned into a Mexican restaurant. So maybe a Guinness Thursday night?
There is an irish pub on ararat street. and a quick google turns up 2 more.
There is a Hawaiian Bar, called Tiki Bar in Moscow too.

In St. Pete be alert for pick pockets. If you have time look up Peter's Walking tours, I enjoyed this 6 hour trek through the city.
Old May 4, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
There is an irish pub on ararat street.
There is also a place called "American Grill" on Ararat St, note there is nothing American place. None of the menus are in English & only one of the waitstaff at the time we went was able to decipher the menu for us. We also noted that there was a person dressed up in a bear costume who we promptly named, "Touchy The Bear" as it seemed to just run around & grope people. Steer clear of this bear! Well, unless, you know.
Old May 4, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
apoivre, we're on an overnight train to St. Petersburg tonight, but we'll be back in Moscow Thursday. Despite Alex and Sophie's best efforts we never did find an Irish pub last night; Silvers has apparently turned into a Mexican restaurant. So maybe a Guinness Thursday night?
Ready when you are. PM me on Wednesday

Last edited by apoivre; May 4, 2009 at 8:30 am
Old May 4, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: US G, AA G, HHonors Silver
Nice to meet everyone last night. I've got a group photo but cant post it from this executive lounge computer.
Agree - great meeting everyone - have a great time in St. Petersburg.

Thank you azepine00 for setting everything up and helping us navigate through dinner. While we did not get to see the parade rehearsal it was worth the walk to see Red Square at night. Hope your connection to LAX goes well today.

Iahphx - hope your trip back went well. The Hilton insisted that I would need over an hour to get to the train station to catch the AE - it took 10 so I caught the next train and was at DME too early. As I was walking into the terminal a police officer headed straight towards me yelling something - figured that I might get to experience a police shake down, but he passed by and selected the woman behind me for document check.

Flight back was great (at least in C) - crew dealt efficiently with a self upgrader sending him back to his E- seat - funny that he spoke perfect english when asking for champagne and talking on the phone, but spoke only Russian when they started questioning his true seating. Only tough part about the trip back was weather at IAD - 20 degrees cooler than Moscow and raining.
Old May 4, 2009, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

.. we never did find an Irish pub last night; Silvers has apparently turned into a Mexican restaurant.
ooops
well you'll have a second chance on thursday
have fun in st pete's

it was great to meet everyone!
Old May 5, 2009, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad to have had dinner with everyone Sunday night. We've made it home without incident.

I think this trip proves you can have a great time going to a not-very-obvious tourist destination on a flyertalk deal. We went in with relatively low expectations for Moscow, and our experiences consistently exceeded those expections (except clearing immigration at DME, which was truly terrible).

In many respects, the challenge of "figuring things out" was part of the fun -- nobody could say Moscow suffers from too many American tourists. I am glad that most half-way decent Moscow restaurants have English menus, though. I always say that if you can eat, you can have a good time, and that's certainly true in Moscow. If the menus had all been as informative as Moscow metro stations, I can only imagine what we would have eaten.

There are some threads on the main Russia travel forum where I received some helpful information (transport, restaurants, etc), and I am going to post my comments there to help future visitors.
Old May 6, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
Originally Posted by iahphx

I think this trip proves you can have a great time going to a not-very-obvious tourist destination on a flyertalk deal. We went in with relatively low expectations for Moscow, and our experiences consistently exceeded those expections (except clearing immigration at DME, which was truly terrible).
Totally Agree. I'm still happy at how great the deal worked out. I had never considered (or at least seriously considered) doing a weekend hop like this, and to Moscow of all places. But it was a great time, met a few fun FTers and, I agree again, that it is fun to figure things out and be part of the hustle and bustle of a big city and get to where you want to be! ^

I think I will plan on doing something like this at least once or twice a year -- at least every time UA has a DEQM deal!
Old May 6, 2009, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JenGal
Totally Agree. I'm still happy at how great the deal worked out. I had never considered (or at least seriously considered) doing a weekend hop like this, and to Moscow of all places. But it was a great time, met a few fun FTers and, I agree again, that it is fun to figure things out and be part of the hustle and bustle of a big city and get to where you want to be! ^

I think I will plan on doing something like this at least once or twice a year -- at least every time UA has a DEQM deal!
Well, if you want to go BACK to Moscow, there are new cheap deals from DC now available for fall (some under $250 all in).

If not for the visa thing, I would seriously consider a return visit at that price. But we've been doing one of these long haul deals every month, and are frankly a little tired -- and running out of vacation days! I would go back next year at this price if I could.
Old May 6, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, if you want to go BACK to Moscow, there are new cheap deals from DC now available for fall (some under $250 all in).
AHH! Don't tempt me!

Actually, I travelled too much the first part of the year (mostly for work) and have my 2+ week "real vacation" to NZ set now for September so I probably won't jump over to Moscow again this year. ... I agree that the visa thing too makes it a little less easy. I'm looking at other direct UA flights to Europe, like ROME, Munich (been once), new Geneva ... oh someday!
Old May 6, 2009, 10:33 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in MUNICH, BAVARIA
Well Moscow is a relative breeze compared to St. Petersburg. I'd thought the smaller scale and more 'European' style of the city would make it 'easier.'

All I can say is that it's good to be back in Moscow where things make sense to me and the Metro is relatively easy!!

Well....except for the endless procession of tanks and missile lauchers driving down Tverskaya practicing for Victory Day tomorrow which is...still interesting.

apoivre, drinks tonight on Arbat pedestrian street? PM me with a time and place!
Old May 7, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
PM me with a time and place!
YGM
Old May 11, 2009, 8:33 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in MUNICH, BAVARIA
As promised, here's the photo from the May 3 gathering at Glavpivtorg (except me who was behind the camera)!

Old May 11, 2009, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As promised, here's the photo from the May 3 gathering at Glavpivtorg (except me who was behind the camera)!
Good times. Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: UA/1K
Might be reviving this, but anyway.. Finally got a response from UA customer relations, no go on the miles. Do I chalk this up to experience or is there anywhere else I should push?

(Original post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...l#post11565166)

Dear Mr. neuf.

Thank you for contacting us about your travel experience on April 11, 2009.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you experienced with international travel documents. We do our best to provide international travelers with accurate document information required by foreign countries or for traveling through the United States. Ultimately it is the travelers responsibility to know all current requirements and have the applicable documents for each country he or she will be traveling to or through. Sometimes there are many required documents, and I understand it can be difficult to cover all the bases. I am sorry for your trouble this time.

For future international travels, please verify current document requirements with the consulates of the countries to be visited. If you have a U.S. passport, a good source for all visa requirements is the U.S. State Departments site at www.travel.state.gov. Also, please be aware that passports now are required for all U.S. citizens traveling to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada.

Mileage Plus rules state that a member earns credit for a flight actually flown, not for purchasing a ticket. This information is available in your Mileage Plus Members Guide. Since you did not travel, I must decline your request.

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to respond to your inquiry. We look forward to serving you again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.