Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
BEY I hope you don't mind the question, but since you are at times commuting between Beirut and the mountains, how far is it and how long does it take? I know you posted the first time that the family travelled in a caravan of cars. Do you drive this route solo now? Are other members of your family in the car with you or is there another caravan of cars?

DOV, will it take long to get the window fixed? Is the shatterproof glass something they keep in stock there or is it a special ordered item? Were your neighbors' windows shattered also? I hope you have someone there helping you to put up a temporary replacement.

I am glad each day to see green lights from both of you!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:46 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
I'd like to look up your location on Google Earth, and get no results when searching for Avivim, Yiron, or Marun-er-Ras.

If i'm not mistaken, the following coordinates will put you close to the
area.

33 05N 35 28E

not accurate by any means.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Pat89339
DOV, will it take long to get the window fixed? Is the shatterproof glass something they keep in stock there or is it a special ordered item? Were your neighbors' windows shattered also? I hope you have someone there helping you to put up a temporary replacement.

I am glad each day to see green lights from both of you!
We have the glass in stock on the kibbutz but it probably will take several days to get fixed. Firstly, the person whose job it is to fix it is with a number of other people from the kibbutz on a trip to the Negev Desert.

Secondly, there is no way I will ask anybody to start working with glass while the rockets are still flying around here.

There is no rush. Most of the windows in my house are open anyhow and will be until November (except on very hot days when I close them and turn on the air conditioner).

I didn't notice how many other windows were broken at my neighbors' houses (if any). This is the only one broken at mine. It is possible that the rocket's impact sent a small pebble flying like a bullet and hitting the window but I think that it is more probable that it was a little loose and the concussion was just too much for it.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
There is a very good chance that FlyerTalk just saved my life.

Thank God you are OK.....I hope that soon find that BEY is also OK.

Dov, maybe now, you will think about moving south?

Last edited by Cholula; Jul 22, 2006 at 1:35 pm Reason: Deleted Part Of Quoted Text To Save Bandwidth
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikey1003
Dov, maybe now, you will think about moving south?
Mikey, my daughter lived on a kibbutz next to the Gaza Strip when she was attending college. For most of the last year they were shooting at her with kassam rockets.

She finished school and came back to Yiron and a week later all of this started.

As Joe Louis said, "you can run but you can't hide."
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Israel invaded Southern Lebanon in 1978 but it wasn't until 1982 that they went into Beirut.

BEY, so good to see your green light burning brightly!

I hope that you will be able to get somewhere safer soon!!!!

As I always told my Son-in-law when he was in harms way....Please keep your head down.

Last edited by Cholula; Jul 22, 2006 at 1:38 pm Reason: Deleted Part Of Quoted Text To Save Bandwidth

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
BEYFlyer, do you share my suspicion that Cholula is the secret force behind prolonging this conflict -- just to avoid forking out the SkyMiles for our flights and the $$$$ for our hotel suites?
Yes, I see what you mean... It makes perfect sense now...
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by Pat89339
BEY I hope you don't mind the question, but since you are at times commuting between Beirut and the mountains, how far is it and how long does it take? I know you posted the first time that the family travelled in a caravan of cars. Do you drive this route solo now? Are other members of your family in the car with you or is there another caravan of cars?...
It's about a 20 minute drive from our apartment in Beirut to our house in the mountains. I am not sure of the exact distance in miles. Indeed, we still travel in seperate cars just in case. At one point, we do cross a major bridge and the fear is that Israel might decide to blow that up too. So dad is in a car with his drive, mom is in her car with her driver and I'm in my car with my music on, really, really, really loud. Of course when my brother is coming up with us, he is in his car with his driver. And right now I'm listening to Madonna's latest CD. Love her music and the CD is great.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marun is in our hands without the loss of any soldiers.
Dov, CNN just (12 1/2 hours later) confirmed your report.

The Dovster ROCKS....Hear it here first. Get your FT, Marun falls... Just like the old EXTRA newspaper days

I just want Dov and BEY to rock figuratively....and not actually... We dont need no stinkin rockets and mortar rounds in their back yards.

Please keep your heads down...stay safe..
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:10 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
We have the glass in stock on the kibbutz but it probably will take several days to get fixed. Firstly, the person whose job it is to fix it is with a number of other people from the kibbutz on a trip to the Negev Desert.

Secondly, there is no way I will ask anybody to start working with glass while the rockets are still flying around here.
t.
Dov, be careful who you get to put in your new shatterproof glass windows...while the windows will not break, they will just pop out if not correctly installed. Most of the condo windows were lying on the ground, undamaged, after the 04 hurricanes here..........if they say they are from FL, run.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:12 pm

Programs: delta,aa,northwest, united
Yeah, so did I!

I still don't know exactly where that rocket landed but I will make an educated guess (based on the fact that I don't see any destruction on the kibbutz) and say it was about 30 meters from my house in the closer part of our apple orchards.

What really upsets me about all of this is that if I still lived in the States I would have reached what has become the dream of all Americans: A victim.

I could have sued Hizbollah, the glass manufacturer, and the Army (the last being for not forcing me to leave my house, but only ordering me into the shelter.)

Moreover, a good American lawyer could collect big time from FlyerTalk. After all, had it not been for this IBB, I would have been sitting under that window watching television. I thus would have been hurt much more severely by the flying glass and been able to collect more heavily from the afore-mentioned three defendants.

Obviously, FlyerTalk cost me a lot of money and I should be compensated!

But, alas, the Israeli courts don't tend to look at things in the same way, so I will just have to settle for having the kibbutz replace the window.
Dovster,

I'm sorry. I can only imagine the horror going on for you & BEY. But I must take offense to your sugestion that Americans dream to be victims. While it is true that we no idea of an everyday life like yours, that doesn't mean we don't appreciate the luck of living where we live.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsschaefer
Dovster,

I'm sorry. I can only imagine the horror going on for you & BEY. But I must take offense to your sugestion that Americans dream to be victims. While it is true that we no idea of an everyday life like yours, that doesn't mean we don't appreciate the luck of living where we live.
Keep in mind that I am an American and thus, as a member of the "family", feel more free to make a comment like that than I would if I had only my Israeli citizenship.

I was, however, in no way implying that Americans don't appreciate America. I was referring to the incredible increase in the number of law suits, and the size of the awards made by juries, that the U.S. has witnessed over the past 30 years.

Today it seems that the path from rags to riches lies in getting yourself a small injury and a big attorney.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:44 pm

Dovster,

I had previously inquired about media contact after your "Do your jobs and solve the problem" interview. At that time, you mentioned that you were in the process of responding to questions from a major newsbroadcaster. Once it is scheduled, you will let us know where and when to look for the article or interview, right?

As always, wishing you and BEYFlyer not only a speedy peaceful resolution in your region, but also a peaceful break so that you guys can get some good sleep.

Sportsgirl
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:45 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by cpx
If i'm not mistaken, the following coordinates will put you close to the
area.

33 05N 35 28E

not accurate by any means.
These coordinates do seem to take you to a spot that, according to the map linked by Dovster, is roughly equidistant between Yiron and Avivim, if I'm reading both maps correctly.

If I am, that seems to indicate that Yiron is about 1 mile southwest of Avivim, and that Yiron has a swimming pool near its southwest corner, just west of a small lake, and a parking lot a bit north of the swimming pool, while Avivim has neither a swimming pool nor a lake. In addition to the apple orchards you refer to that extend to the border, there seem to be vineyards to the east? And trying to imagine which town is Marun, is it the one just about 2 miles WNW of Yiron?

If the above description sounds like I've located the right spot, Dov, can you tell us which house is yours, in relation to landmarks we'd see from the satellite, such as the swimming pool?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: China Air, NW, United
Originally Posted by jsschaefer
Dovster,

But I must take offense to your sugestion that Americans dream to be victims. .
I have to agree with the Dovster on this one - it probably wouldn't be that far fetched for someone suing the government for only advising them to move, not actually making them move.

Where I come from, they would also probably sue the local government for letting them build in a dangerous area without fully informing them of the risk. About 20 years ago some people complained that nobody told them their houses (which were down slope of the world's most active volcano) were in danger of inundation by lava. And then they lost their houses - surprise.

What amazes me about both Beyflyer and Dov is how self-reliant they are in this situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.