Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Dovster - I just got a call from MRKEY up in Palm Beach Gardens whose internet service has been down all day and has been concerned for you. I was able to bring him up to date on this thread. He wishes you and BEYFlyer a peaceful night and all of his best wishes. He would also hopes to get together with you when you come to Florida this winter to visit your mother.

I also will take this opportunity to wish the two of you safety in the heart of the maelstrom. Be well, take care, and keep your heads down.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chchkiwi
Yes, receiving the same thing. On the Help page, it states there may be
periods of silence from two to five minutes while they play commercial sets, which are not permitted to be broadcast over the internet. Having said that, it's been about five minutes and still nothing happening. Another possibility is that you may not receive the broadcast unless you turn your firewall and antivirus software off - a scary thought!
Thanks. I'll try that, but I don't think that's it. I'm getting a buffering advise and then the "counter" starts (33kbit stream)...so I think I'm getting the stream from the station just fine. I think it's just that there is nothing there to get. I'm just worried that someone at the station forgot to turn it on to feed the broadcast to the web host and therefore the stream is just dead air.

Edited to add that their troubleshooting page gives this link to test if your firewall or anti-virus is the problem:

http://wmc1.liquidcompass.cc/indie103

...and I get that station just fine.

Never Mind

I just called the station and they told me they are currently broadcasting a ball game that they aren't allowed to stream over the web. So it should be back up after the game.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 16, 2006 at 7:35 pm Reason: Note: To streamline the readability of this thread, most references to the problem of accessing the radio program via Internet have been “soft-deleted” due to the problem being resolved.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:05 pm

Geography lesson

I just looked on Google Maps to try to determine where BEYFlyer and Dovster might be currently located. I can see the mountains east of Beirut and a finger of green sticking up into Lebanon from Israel, bordering what I gather is the Golan Heights. I'm gonna take a guess that this is Dovster's general vicinity.

The mountains are not far from Beirut, as BEYFlyer alluded to - I do hope the family has been able to get some sleep, especially the little ones. This must be so difficult for them particularly. But then again, the innocence of youth might help to protect them from the realities.

Dovster, hope that you got some sleep too and that you are bright eyed and bushy tailed for your interview. I'll not be able to keep my eyes and ears open to hear it live - hopefully, I'll be in dreamland by then - but I've got the site bookmarked and with any kind of luck will be able to listen tomorrow while at work.

Thoughts and prayers are with both of you.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Posted by PremEx
[Never Mind

I just called the station and they told me they are currently broadcasting a ball game that they aren't allowed to stream over the web. So it should be back up after the game.]
Thank you for calling and finding this out for us. Looking forward to hearing the broadcast at 8:00 p.m. PST tonight. Dovster and BEYFlyer, trust you and yours have a good night's peaceful rest and safety in the days ahead.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hippie47119
I bet DOV is getting stoked. lol.
More likely he is getting sleep.

Hey Dov, now that you will be a media star, I hope you will remember to use the exposure to further interests dear to your heart. I've gone ahead and created a list of talking points for you to refer to during the interview.

1) Your views on superior hot sauces. (Let's hope Tabasco is not a sponsor of the radio show).
2) Which airline and hotel chains have the best FF program . . ."Easy redemption is especially important when under attack by Katusha rockets."
3) The fact that the highest quality apples available are grown in Northern Israel (look for the label at your local market and accept no substitute).
4) Who you will support in this years TalkBoard elections. (This is a good one when they start asking political questions).
5) Explaining how all of the lady listeners can be winners in Dov's Girlfriend for a Day contest.

Good luck to you - and BEYFlyer.

BTW, How come all the ladies are hitting on Dov and not BEYFlyer?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:54 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
pretty good overview in bullet format for hezbollah:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...lah/index.html
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by VPescado
BTW, How come all the ladies are hitting on Dov and not BEYFlyer?
Probably because they don't know any better?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:18 pm

Putting a face with the names?

I was wondering if there are any photos of Bey and Dov posted anywhere that we could view? All this personal sentiment being shared by everyone and I know that I'm not alone in saying that I have no idea what they look like. Anyone have any suggestions or links to see them? @:-)

Hollywood will, no doubt, be jumping all over this thread wanting the movie rights for a film about this magnificent cross-border friendship during this scuffle. They will need to know what they look like, so casting can be narrowed down a bit.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:24 pm

Here's a link from another website that features photos taken from Dovster's kibbutz facing Lebanon. Thought it might help people picture what he sees outside his house.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ad.php?t=85987

And perhaps the photos on this page will give us an idea of what Bey sees......

http://phoenicia.org/lookdown.html
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Dovster's pictures

Originally Posted by JaxFrog79
I was wondering if there are any photos of Bey and Dov posted anywhere that we could view?
Originally Posted by opushomes
Originally Posted by opushomes
much more flattering
http://www.punki.photosite.com/venic...terstatue.html

click on bottom left photo.
And with his children:

http://www.punki.photosite.com/Israe.../P1010029.html

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 16, 2006 at 6:41 pm Reason: Corrected urls
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:36 pm

Thanks for the photos Ahav. It looks decievingly peaceful there around the kibbutz. wonder how's the weather there? Here in Interior Ak, it's overcast and raining.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL GM
To BEY and Dov and all who are in danger tonight: here's wishing you courage and strength and wisdom and grace and a very big dose of good luck.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:50 pm

Maybe its the news or just my ignorace of that region, but i expected both countrys to be much more...."desertish" if thats a word.Especially the mountians of lebanon. The mountains remind me of ireland. Thanks for the pics. they really put a face to all this. Once again, like motel 6, keep the ligh on for us.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:14 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hippie47119
Maybe its the news or just my ignorace of that region, but i expected both countrys to be much more...."desertish" if thats a word.Especially the mountians of lebanon. The mountains remind me of ireland. Thanks for the pics. they really put a face to all this. Once again, like motel 6, keep the ligh on for us.
The south of Israel (e.g. near the Sinai) is much drier, but the mountains toward the north are fairly lush. In fact the nearby Golan Heights is the ultimate source of much of the water that is used to irregate the South. IIRC at one point pre-1967 Syria (who was still in possession of the Golan Heights) tried to divert the course of some of these waters to withhold water from Israel but the plan failed due to issues with the earth moving equipment.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:42 pm

BTW, How come all the ladies are hitting on Dov and not BEYFlyer?[/QUOTE]

New to this. Was told about it from another FTer. I spent my day reading the thread and am impressed by it all.

BEY, I understand from family who once lived there (pre 1975) that it is truly one of the most spectacular places on earth. I've always wanted to see it for myself. I plan on visiting once things calm down again - as I'm sure they will. And if I weren't happily married, I'd certainly love to meet you and your family

In the meantime, perhaps it's better to sleep during the day when it's relatively more quiet than at night? Please take care of yourself and your family. You are one of many very lovely pp in that part of the world.

XOXO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.