Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 6:24 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
When the BBC anchorwoman asked an Israeli army rep why the Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation's (LBC) transmission tower was hit a few hours ago, the answer came that Hizbollah was using that to send information to the South that might compromise the Israeli army. I think that Israeli army guy was either smoking something or getting his information from CNN...
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
[B]However, this particular thread on FlyerTalk is unique and I feel that you missed a major opportunity. It has been discussed on in the major media in the US, Germany, Sweden (that I know of) and numerous internet websites. It has attracted, within a week, over 150,000 unique hits.
You are exactly right on Dov. This Jay sounds like a big fish in a small pond who did what he wanted, not what was right for the topic or his companies ratings.

The place I work has an ethic of doing what is right for the company first, your own department second. In sales that translates to being willing to sacrifice some of your immediate commission in recognition that long term gain for the company is better for all employees.

"fool me once..."

Stay safe, Dov & Bey. I say that with a heavy heart beause it looking like the element of luck is beginnng to have too much to say in this situation.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by dlvhi
Well Dov, it looks like to me like you are under orders to either advance to the south or spend the next few days in the shelter - and if my memory is correct you don't particularly like the shelter.
I am holding out for the best possible offer.

As you might have noticed, I find a woman in California by the name of "Michelle Pfeiffer" rather attractive but the odds of my even getting to meet her in real life are rather slim.

BUT...she may be one of the lurkers reading this thread and getting worried about my safety.

Michelle, if you are, I will head to Tel Aviv as soon as you call me and let me know you've taken a room there for us. The Dan Hotel, the Sheraton, the Hilton -- it really doesn't matter which.

I will even let you keep the points yourself!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:02 am

This is what war does. Dovster is willing to give up points to have a hotel room with Michelle Pfeiffer.

Wait.

He'd have done that without the war, wouldn't he?

I'm glad to see you both posting, Dovster and Bey, as I wake up this morning. Stay safe!

Dovster - When they told you to be in the bomb shelter until TUesday, did they mean the sheltered room in your house, or the underground one?

Bey - still have that Mother Care teddybear? I'll bet even an adult could use one there now......
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I will even let you keep the points yourself!
Now, for the first time, I'm really worried about Dovster. The shell shock from that katushya must have really dazed him; severe post traumatic stress syndrome. Even considering that, it's hard to believe this violation of the FT TOS.

On second thought, that can't have been the real Dovster posting- an FT evangalist voluntarily stating that he would forgo points? Hezbollah must have hacked Dov's account. That's the only explanation.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Get a grip! Not the points!
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Originally Posted by Ahavatlm
Dovster - When they told you to be in the bomb shelter until TUesday, did they mean the sheltered room in your house, or the underground one?
The choice is up to us (at least those of us who have sheltered rooms). I am staying in my house.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:37 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

It does appear we are all seeing the same thing. Truly there is some shell shock here! But he hasn't given up the thing for Michelle Pfeiffer so there is hope....

Continued great reading on this thread and for Dovster and BEYFlyer, continued support from the community of FlyerTalk and the House of Miles.

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Now, for the first time, I'm really worried about Dovster. The shell shock from that katushya must have really dazed him; severe post traumatic stress syndrome. Even considering that, it's hard to believe this violation of the FT TOS.

On second thought, that can't have been the real Dovster posting- an FT evangalist voluntarily stating that he would forgo points? Hezbollah must have hacked Dov's account. That's the only explanation.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:38 am

Quote:
I am not going to be providing constant updates about the course of the fighting. For one reason, that is not the purpose of this thread. For another, anybody watching television will know as much about it as I will.

Dov,

Just curious which news shows do you watch to get your information? The only reason i ask if it's any different from the ones in the US where we get the news.
Missy
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Israel invaded Southern Lebanon in 1978 but it wasn't until 1982 that they went into Beirut. Things were not easy at all. Remember that the civil war had been going on by then for well over 8 years, so things were tough already. Israel came in to rid Lebanon of the PLO. They almost went house-to-house searching for PLO members. I remember an incident when we were in the mountains. At around 6 a.m. the IDF came into our house; we were all still sleeping. Apparently the butcher just across the street (who was an informant for the Israeli army) believed that we had PLO members hiding in our house. It was a very terrifying experience. I remember just standing outside the house, up againt the wall, clutching my blue and while "Mother Care" teddy bear with guns pointed to my head. Obviously, there were no PLO members hiding there and after a good search of the whole building, which lasted for about an hour or so, the Israeli army let us back in. As a 10 year-old at the time, you can imagine how horrible the incident was. It is still very clear in my mind 24 years later......
Im surprized you wernt tramatized by somthing like that. Especially at 10 years old. I think its safe to say they wont get anywhere near the Bakka Valley this time around. There is a river (I foget the name) that they keep taking about. the news people seem to think they will try to atleast push the Hezbulla back past this river and kill off any of them that dont retreat. So you should be fine. Still, Keep your head down mate!

Keep the @:-) on for us!!!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:43 am

At exactly that moment a rocket landed. Close. Very close. I am not certainly exactly where but it was close enough to shatter one of the shatter-proof windows I have in my house. It is on the wall behind the couch I would have been sitting on and sent shards of glass all over it.
For some reason, my eyes initially read the following line as:

I slipped on some fresh pants, put on my houseshoes, and went outside to see if the bomb had hit one of my neighbors' homes.

Last edited by Abby; Jul 22, 2006 at 10:57 am Reason: to add a smile...!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Jay Marvin wrote Dovster: I didn't miss any great story. We had a wonderful one hour talk show. If you didn't get a chance top say what you wanted about your friend in Lebanon, I'm sorry. That wasn't the show.

Dovster replied: Jay, for me, what is happening here on FlyerTalk is the story -- especially as it concerns my friend in Lebanon.

Of course, what would I know? I am just a "goody two shoes".
Dovster, as a journalist myself, I agree with you -- Jay Marvin missed a GREAT story. Of course, he's a talk show host, not a journalist and we do make that distinction in my business.

I'm not changing beats from breweries to battles (and after drinking all that beer I'd make too big a target now anyway) but if I were working somewhere this would be appropriate to cover I'd be standing on my editor's desk yelling for the chance to do a story on you, BEYFlyer and the FT community.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missy64
Dov,

Just curious which news shows do you watch to get your information? The only reason i ask if it's any different from the ones in the US where we get the news.
Missy
Missy, there are three Israeli channels which carry the news. I look at each of them but spend most of my time looking at "Channel 10".

I also watch CNN and the BBC. I've tried watching Fox News but find that it is more interested in promoting itself than it is in giving the news.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Plat; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum;
I wasn't doing a show that applauded the wonders of your relationship with some human in Lebanon (who wouldn't appear on the show).
Jay, for me, what is happening here on FlyerTalk is the story -- especially as it concerns my friend in Lebanon.
First, I just started reading this thread a couple of days ago and have been riveted by your and BEYFlyer's posts. Those that I have told about this thread and myself wish both of you and your families our hope for your safety now and eventual true peace.

Last edited by Janet at WebFlyer; Jul 22, 2006 at 9:26 am Reason: Political and Redundant
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:16 am

Smile

I also watch CNN and the BBC. I've tried watching Fox News but find that it is more interested in promoting itself than it is in giving the news.[/QUOTE]

I must agree with you about FOX news. I watch or read MSNBC and often wonder if we are getting the same information. Thanks for the response DOV. I have to say i was suprised I thought i would have to come to a point Where i would have to flirt with you
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:21 am

Programs: delta,aa,northwest, united
Smile

Missy, there are three Israeli channels which carry the news. I look at each of them but spend most of my time looking at "Channel 10".

I also watch CNN and the BBC. I've tried watching Fox News but find that it is more interested in promoting itself than it is in giving the news.
Well I'm sitting here in Connecticut watching it on msnbc. Fortunately I'm safe & sound. It's great to see that you both are ok. Dov & BEY, I along with most of the world are praying for you. Stay safe & keep sending these incredible posts that no news report can do. We're all learning a great deal because of you guys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.