Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Thisstinks
Ah, good. Can you see the map now? You likely already know this, but a router with a 4 port switch you can have both plugged in at the same time. Question, it is too unpractical to run a line into the shelter?

Take care,

Doug
Nope, I can't see it because I went back to my PC. Besides, I know what it looks like where I live.

I have lived on the kibbutz for about 18 years and this is the first time I have had to use the shelter, so I am not too worried about having it wired.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dovster
Nope, I can't see it because I went back to my PC. Besides, I know what it looks like where I live.
LOL! Of course you know what it looks like! However, if you could see the satellite photo we are looking at then you could better describe where you are, based on that map not your memory. From your description earlier either you live in a house with a terracotta roof on the right of the map or a house in the upper left of the map (I got lost.)

With our Lord's blessings,

Doug
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:00 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by okflyer
...It sounds like the bombs have come very close to BEYFlyer at both locations. Can you elaborate?...I wonder if BEYFlyer has been doing interviews by media or have any plans to? Let us know how to find the interview(s) in that case!...
Indeed they have as I understand the IAF is using 1-ton bombs to get through to any bunkers they might think exist in a particular building. Luckily, my immediate area has not been subject to any bombing, neither in Beirut nor up in the mountains. But it's been close enough at times to shake windows and rattle our bones. In this scenario, I fear more for Dovster's safety as he is the one close to the border where all the action is taking place.

The only interview I have been doing is this one. I, too, was asked to join Dovster on that radio talkshow but decided not to when I learned that there would be some high ranking PLO guy on the show. I did not want it turned into a political debate but rather a discussion about life in Israel and Lebanon during these trying times. Obviously, that didn't happen and I'm glad Dovster didn't sign up for a second interview.

There was a chap from the WSJ who got in touch with both of us via email to discuss how technology has figured into all of this. He asked a lot of questions (What were you wearing when this all began?) Not sure when that stuff will come out.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Lehava
Amen to that *smile*. But sadly you are married correct Bey?
Never been married, so I'm not that sad really (as Dovster pointed out)...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Cholula
...Question for BEYFlyer: You mentioned that you worked for the family business. How has that been affected by the rockets red glare?? Are you folks able to conduct business in some semblance of normalcy or are things on hold until this comes to a halt?
I wouldn't say that we are conducting business under normal circumstance, but it helps us keep our sanity intact. Luckily for us, the bulk of our business is located outside Lebanon; we are simply an HQ here. Some of our local projects have been put on hold and my brother's business is on hold too until further notice (he works with restaurants and hotels). Indeed we are all taking it day by day and are discussing ways to minimize this risk for our employees. Going forward, we will cut our working days down from 6 to 4 (giving everyone a longer weekend to be with family). Otherwise, each person really has to make a decision if it is safe to come in or not. Crazy stuff but like I said before, life goes on. It has to...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Hippie47119
...Bey, you don't happen to know your coordinates to your house do you? (maybe this isn't such a good question to answer. I would understand if you didn't) Anyways, it's bed time in Columbus, Ohio. May peace be with you!!!
Sadly I don't. In fact, I don't even think Google has a zoom in function for Beirut. I tried doing something like that last night by taking the coordinates of Beirut from Wiki and putting that into Google maps; didn't work... Sorry... I'll see if I can find something else to give you an idea of where I'm at.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by CantSki
Dov,
The local (Taiwanese) media gives very little or no, coverage of the crisis over there. We're wondering what the Lebanese Defense forces or Government are doing, if anything, to stop the fighting?
Any word on the captured soldiers?
The Lebanese government can't do much in this situation. There are elements involved here that go beyond Hizbollah. We've only been screaming out loud to the international community to stop this fighting. I sincerely hope that our government is not crazy enough to involve the Lebanese army; we don't stand a chance. But there are a lot of crazy people in this world... Who knows...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:14 am

...Local television also reported IAF attacks on parts of Beirut, so even if the fighting around Yiron were to stop immediately, I would still be worrying about BEYFlyer.
Indeed it wasn't a quiet night at all, even up here in the mountains. We could hear every single bomb that was dropped on the city suburbs. It all started around 1:30 a.m. and didn't stop until the early hours of this morning. The sad thing is that it's such a beautiful day. The sun is bright and the skies are clear. Ideally, I would be at the beach soaking up some rays. Mom and Dad would be down South at our other house. Everyone in Beirut would be out and about, walking around, enjoying a beautiful Sunday morning/day.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:32 am
Suspended

Hello BEYFlyer,

Are you back in Beirut? I read that you were planning on returning. Given the recent warnings from Israel to move out of certain areas, which is safer Beirut or the house in the north?

May our Lord's blessings be with you, all of you in this mess,

Doug
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:03 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Hey! What is my body, chopped liver?
Ooops, no offense intended. I am sure you are gorgeous and in no way resemble one of those creatures.....but your signature says you live under an approach path to ORD so I don't know......I get this mental picture of you crouching down, holding your ears, grimacing......

Last edited by dedehans; Jul 23, 2006 at 5:48 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
It was far from a quiet morning in Israel as missiles fell on Haifa and its vicinity with tragic results but, in my little corner of the world, it was indeed peaceful.

I went all morning without hearing any shooting and, about 3 hours ago, I was contacted by the person in charge of transportation on the kibbutz and asked if I would be willing to drive a car into Rosh Pina to have a little work done on it.

I agreed.

Rosh Pina is a wonderful little village about 30 minutes from my house and during peaceful times serves as a magnet for domestic tourism.

Today, it was almost shut. The owner of the garage told me that he decided to open only because he was going stir-crazy sitting in his bomb shelter.

From there, I headed to a mall in the hope of finding some place which was open for lunch. No luck. Every single restaurant and shop was shut. Then I spotted the owner of a housewares store (actually, I don't know if "housewares" is the right term -- they sell decorative, not practical, things for houses).

Dementia has been very depressed since the fighting broke out and I knew that she loves that kind of stuff. I asked the owner if she would be willing to open up for a few minutes. She agreed. I found something that I thought Dementia would like and then called her to confirm that she would want it.

She said that she did but advised me to hurry back to the kibbutz.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because they are shooting here again."

"They are shooting there," I said, "and they are not shooting here and you want me to hurry back?"

Now you know why I call her "Dementia".
Old Jul 23, 2006, 6:02 am

Dementia has been very depressed since the fighting broke out and I knew that she loves that kind of stuff. I asked the owner if she would be willing to open up for a few minutes. She agreed. I found something that I thought Dementia would like and then called her to confirm that she would want it.

She said that she did but advised me to hurry back to the kibbutz.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because they are shooting here again."

"They are shooting there," I said, "and they are not shooting here and you want me to hurry back?"

Now you know why I call her "Dementia".
ha.....i'm glad your sense of humor is still intact!.......in ny, the tube is showing live shelling under way in Tyre, Lebanon.....and continued air raid warnings in Haifa.......craziness

Last edited by Cholula; Jul 23, 2006 at 6:43 am
Old Jul 23, 2006, 6:10 am

From Dovster:"Dementia has been very depressed since the fighting broke out and I knew that she loves that kind of stuff. I asked the owner if she would be willing to open up for a few minutes. She agreed. I found something that I thought Dementia would like and then called her to confirm that she would want it."

Your showing your soft side again you chick magnet.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Bey - can you tell us a little about your staff and how they seem to be getting through this situation ... You mentioned drivers, I don't know if you also have household staff, but are they available as usual or is there only a skeleton staff? Have they moved their families, outside of Lebanon or just to other relatives homes?

For the office staff, on whatever a "regular" workday can be considered these days, what percent of your staff is actually making it into the office? Has there been any shelling near the office location?

I'm glad to see posts from you and Dov each morning. Crank up that much and enjoy a safe drive into Beirut today. Stay safe.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:00 am

I've been lurking almost from the beginning, reading these posts and praying along with everyone else for the end of this conflict, for DOV and BEY's safety and the safety of all of the innocent people drawn into this conflict. I have not been able to find the words I want to express my feelings but finally decided I had to try.

May you both stay safe during this conflict and be able to meet face to face to as quickly as possible.

And, from a selfish point of view, I really need to start getting back to working instead of making sure both DOV and BEY are safe.

Last edited by Janet at WebFlyer; Jul 23, 2006 at 9:00 am Reason: Leaning to a political veiw, touched off new posts that are off topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.