Hire a Flyertalker

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hire a Flyertalker

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
My company is hiring a bridge engineer, a transportation engineer, and an electrical engineer, based outside of PHL. If you are interested, please PM me for more details.

Travel is minimal, but occasional travel to project locations is possible.

Last edited by kipper; Jan 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: Several
Just a quick question for anyone out there. If you happen to work in the aviation/airport design consultancy field, can you send me a PM? I've been looking at several companies and would love to get some inside information about a company such as company culture/schedules/operations/career prospects/etc.

I have a few in mind that I've sent letters of interest to already but I would prefer to here about them from someone who works there.

Thank you!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:26 pm

Career suggestions? (Not another 'Suggest jobs with heavy travel' thread)

Hi FT,

Long time reader here, thanks for the amazing amount of knowledge this community has imparted!

Hoping you all might be able to give me some ideas for career direction - I'm a bit lost at the moment and not sure what I want to do.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest careers that I might enjoy given that I enjoy playing the miles and points game. Note - I'm NOT necessarily looking for a job with lots of travel involved (I'm totally indifferent on that, wouldn't mind) - but a job that uses similar skills/functions as are employed in playing the miles and points/credit card churning games and related activities.

I've found that I really enjoy this hobby - enough that I spend lots of otherwise 'free' time devising ways to maximize my miles/points earning and spending. Like many of you probably, I'll create models in Excel to determine the optimal combination of store/portal/card to use on any given purchase in order to maximize my value. I've also created tracking spreadsheets for everything from credit card applications to VR purchases to various promos I've completed (waiting to make sure the points post).

I've also noticed that maybe as a broader theme, I enjoy things where there's a lot of knowledge to be gained by research - I actually enjoy filing my taxes and I exclusively use the original forms (online or on paper), reading the instructions line by line to understand all the technicalities. I've also spnt a lot of time reading about personal finance to optimize my financial life and investments, although they're fairly small so far. I even read all the disclosure statements on my 401k to make sure I know the ins and outs, options, etc.

Anyway, I guess this is a long shot, but I haven't really found a career path yet that I really enjoy, and I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest something that employs some of the above skills.

My background so far - graduated from a fairly good undergrad in the DC area 3 years ago with a degree in economics, and so far I've mostly spent time in mergers & acquisitions as well as corporate strategy, and a bit of computer programming work. I'm pretty left brained - quantitative, logical, usually prefer concrete to abstract, etc, although don't need to do something that is strictly like that.

I haven't hated the jobs I've held so far, but I definitely haven't feel like I'm in my element. Also note: I'm in position to (hopefully) get into and attend a top MBA program in the next year and a half if it makes sense for my career, so any corporate discipline that doesn't require specific academic training (like engineering or computer science) is probably attainable via the MBA 'career reset'. I've been considering a default to management consulting, but not sure I'll love that either.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, I'm looking forward to any help I can get!

Last edited by WACC; Feb 25, 2013 at 8:08 pm
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:30 pm

Your hobby will apply fine in any field--buy low, sell high.

I actually enjoy filing my taxes
"Son, you have a condition." --quote from the Avengers.
You may consider being an expatriate and working for a non-US company in a non-US location. Then, you can file and pay taxes both for the US and for the non-US nation.

so any corporate discipline that doesn't require specific academic training (like engineering or computer science) is probably attainable via the MBA 'career reset'.
Not really. In my experience, it's the other way around. An MBA is useless unless you've earned your value in a field that adds value (one of those specific fields). Anybody else, is mostly just full of BS, and can only thrive when they're surrounded by stupid people who don't know any better.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid

CPA or actuary. As a CPA you can do lots of peoples' taxes. Actuaries sometimes refer to themselves as "spreadsheet monkeys". Either are attainable with a degrees in economics.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:21 am

There's a reason why it's called a hobby.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:30 am

So you like playing games and manipulating things to get the maximum benefit?

Quit your job. Go to bartend school for a few weeks. Find a luxury resort in some sunny place and be the bartender. Keep a diary of how many lonely tourists that you carouse into sleeping with you and write a book about it.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
So you like playing games and manipulating things to get the maximum benefit?

Quit your job. Go to bartend school for a few weeks. Find a luxury resort in some sunny place and be the bartender. Keep a diary of how many lonely tourists that you carouse into sleeping with you and write a book about it.
This is the most intelligent thing I've read on FT in years!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, any other status I can get via credit card

I second the recommendation of an accountant/CPA. Many industries with hire economics majors with the skills you mention. If you want to travel, getting your CPA and becoming an auditor or consultant would be the direction. Otherwise, and industry or larger company where there is a high volume of data or contract analysis to support the business.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Got laid off on December 21st, from my job (Reality TV Production) due to the end of the season. After 2 months I've finally started find a new days here and there, but nothing is really starting up for another month or so (hopefully). I've worked on events doing logistics and transportation, including cars, flights, and wrangling of talent/celebs, also TV Production for some notable shows for CBS and NBC.

At this point, I've enjoyed taking the first extended time off since I started working full time, but I need to get back to work, I'm getting antsy, and bills are starting to come in.

If anyone knows anything within any of these fields (production, events, etc) feel free to PM me.

I'm not against branching out into travel if someone knows of something at a local FBO, or if an airline needs someone locally. I'm familiar with a fair bit of equipment that an FBO would use for moving planes and equipment around the ramp, and have towed things of simliar size to what they work with.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:20 am

I'm looking to hire a Human Resources genralist in Atlanta. Will report to the US head of HR but work with me as well. Very little travel but it's a good job with a growing company. We need someone ASAP so if you or someone you know is looking, feel free to contact me for more details.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:17 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Cisco guy here that has been in the game for about 12 years total. I've been focused on Net Eng for the last 5 years with a lot of concentration in wireless and the LAN side. I could use work on the L3/Wan side. I have touched Voice/Security in administrative manners but have also stood up some systems backed with DDD's. Understanding of security at a higher level as well as DoD and VA SEC procedures and audits.

Wrote BOM's, SOW's, some pre-sales, etc.,

I've done OCONUS work (Saudi and Germany) and worked both extensively in healthcare and the DoD and the combined (MTF's, VA's, etc.,)

Looking for a good mix of travel and a company that will allow me to start growing my brain again. Currently hold a SECRET and considered a special disabled veteran.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Will be graduating with a degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management this May. I'm seeking a Management Trainee position or something similar within a hotel/management company. Have relevant work experience in the industry.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:18 am
hmv

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Will be graduating with a degree in Hospitality & Tourism Management this May. I'm seeking a Management Trainee position or something similar within a hotel/management company. Have relevant work experience in the industry.
Maybe the Hilton management traineeprogram?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:45 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
1099 consultants local to DC area

Need 1099 consultants local to DC area - no travel expenses paid.

Looking to build a team. Need a lead and 4 supporting roles of all levels on federal contract. It will initially be a year contract but we believe the scope of work will lead to multiple years of contracts and a lot of selling opportunities. Believe the contract would begin in the late spring/early summer time-frame. Looking for good strong consultants across the board.

Scope of work likely to break out in the following manner:
  • Establish plan for utilizing text analytics and risk based rules engine
  • Focus on taxonomy management, text tagging, fact extraction on unstructured data, sentiment analysis, PII scrubbing, data obfuscation
  • Data is all unstructured coming from consumers, companies and investigators. Will need to also evaluate attachments as part of plan
  • Help to identify prospective software/implementation vendor through market analysis
  • Will also help with procurement related activities/aquisition and contract support
  • Play an IV&V role on implementation and play an advocate role
  • As part of our role, we will be responsible for implementing a pilot for text analytics using manual processes, catching tags, concepts and taxonomy
  • Will also be responsible for PII, Quality Assurance with the intention of using data to inform machine learning
  • Once manual processing has been piloted, plan to begin automated first pass of text and incorporate natural language processing
  • Goal is to use fact extraction to identify key data assets that can be plugged back into system
  • Help establish a risk based compliance system. We will not be responsible for implementing software for the system, but would help to drive requirements, business processes and rules development.
  • would like to be able to score complaints for review that can be used for internal consumption

Customer is currently using GDTI to manage their call center with Oracle's CRM solution as the software. Sponsor views the compliance system as being separate from the Oracle solution, but potentially a source of data for the Oracle solution that call center reps can take advantage of to provide better service.

Compensation is highly competitive but, again, on a 1099 basis only.

PM me if you are suited and interested and I will provide email to forward your resume/CV.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.