Wiki Posts
Search

Hire a Flyertalker

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:33 pm

Perhaps you should take a look at this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...yertalker.html
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:55 pm

If you want to travel, and use your chemical background, then a field process engineer would be ideal. In semiconductors, most of the equipment manufacturers have a stable of young grads they train up and send across the world, sometimes for months without seeing home. It is normally good for about 3-5 years, then you start getting a bit bored with it, find a woman, and then she demands you stop all that crazy travel.

It's not like I have personal experience...but yeah...maybe.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, Delta Silver, HHonors Diamond
Take a look into Clinical Research.... I am a Clinical Research Associate and it's average to fly 100+ flights a year.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ring0rosie
Take a look into Clinical Research.... I am a Clinical Research Associate and it's average to fly 100+ flights a year.
Did you need any clinical experience before being hired? Also what type of degree is required of that type of position? Thank you!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:14 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Laurenmj
I would love a job that allows me to utilize my degree and skills that involves traveling 75% or more of the time. Any information is much appreciated!
Try this TravelBuzz! thread and you'll see plenty of pointers there:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...nted-jobs.html
Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
OP, i wish you well on your job search... but is this thread really "MilesBuzz" worthy?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by freeloader
OP, i wish you well on your job search... but is this thread really "MilesBuzz" worthy?
Sorry I am new to this and was not quite sure how to work the forums. Someone said to post here.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
In your shoes I would ask my professors to put me in touch with older graduates who have good jobs using their degree. You could try setting up an informational interview or even a phone call/email to get ideas on a good career match. Of course, this may happen as a matter of course in the upcoming semester, since if any desirable companies send recruiters to your school, they are likely to include a past graduate...What does your advisor say? If he said, "eh, I dunno, post on flyertalk and ask them if they know of anything," I guess I would have a backup of applying to grad school or getting a teaching certificate or something. Good luck. Especially if you've already tried my idea...which I figure there's a decent chance you have!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:33 am

I am very interested in parmaceutical sales. I would love to know of any companies you guys are familiar with.

And I want a job with travel because I am young, not married and don't plan on setteling down for quite some time. It had always been a dream of mine to travel frequently in my job no matter the destination. I enjoy new experiences and am very ambitious.

The job market is tough, even for those with experience, not just new graduates. Furthermore, most all positions (no matter what field) are going to ask for experience.

So, don't let that hold you back from applying. Apply anyway.

Most traveling jobs that may be entry level or accept entry level will very likely travel locally or regionally (at best) around your home area by car. Very few travel positions (by plane) will be entry level.

So, when you say travel, local is much different than regional or national.
National travel positions will very likely require several years of experience.

Then comes the question, are you willing to relocate?

I would suggest you try to start in sales (if that's your wish) around your local region and work your way to a regional travel position.

Not trying to be negative, it's just the reality of today's economy. So many people with years of experience are unemployed and would also take the travel jobs.

So, while it sounds like the travel jobs may be hard to fill, they are not. In fact, many people with years of experience in those particular fields have grown children and are also very willing to take those positions.

I would not hold out for a travel position that equates to more than local travel hoping to grab that dream travel job first. Honestly, the economy is tough for all, and new grads will be competing with those who are unemployed with experience.

Getting your foot in the door and proving what you can do will be key.

Good Luck!^

Willing to relocate may land you a job even for local travel (depending on where you live). And, then you will most likely have to pay out of pocket to travel for interviews.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; VIA Privilege
Oil & Natural Gas

With a background in chemical engg or bio-chemistry, I recommend you look for jobs in Oil & Natural Gas industry and mining industries. Typically, they require people with chemical background and willing to travel to their oil & gas fields in different parts of the world.
You will enjoy the job as well as the traveling part for a while.
Good luck with your job search!!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, LH M&M, Finnair Plus, SPG Preferred Plus
Hello everyone,

Some of you may remember me as one of the "original" employee posters on FT, as a UAX employee over on the (now pre-merger) UA Mileage Plus forum. As part of the merger I was laid off along with the rest of my customer service colleagues back in April 2011 as a result of insourcing of UAX CS duties by mainline UA.

I took the layoff as an opportunity to pursue an MBA, gaining acceptance to a highly selective and unique accelerated one-year program at Copenhagen Business School in Denmark. Over the course of the year, I took advantage of opportunities to engage deeply in innovation, corporate social responsibility, people/leadership development activities and the emerging holistic field of service design. I completed my MBA in mid-August and have since been back stateside looking for my next opportunity in the working world!

Over the past year and a half, I've distilled my passions into two main drivers:
  • Helping people set themselves up for success
  • Delivering an unparalleled, service-focused customer experience

I would be excited to work in any industry towards creating great services and experiences for the customer, with a special place in my heart for creating great travel experiences within the airline/travel/hospitality sphere.

I am open to relocating worldwide. I hold unrestricted live/work rights in the US and the EEA (EU27/EFTA/Switzerland).

For more detailed information, you're welcome to visit my LinkedIn profile (http://www.linkedin.com/in/kaigroves) or send me a PM! Thank you!

- Kai
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Did you need any clinical experience before being hired? Also what type of degree is required of that type of position? Thank you!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinica...arch_associate

I'm guessing besides the basic degree in, and understanding of life sciences (biology, chemistry, etc), you need a background in (or certification) in clinical trial protocols and the appropriate government regulations affecting the trial.

I would also guess that getting assigned to trials is partly a 'who you know and who knows you' type of arrangement, but perhaps Ring0Rosie could shed some additional light on this position. I'm curious as well.

Entry level median is about 64k rising to about 90k after 2-5 years - not a get rich scheme by any means, but still respectable especially if you stick it out for awhile.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Some VERY sage advice in your post above, shoreline!

Thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed, helpful post.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I'm always looking for light industrial workers(Warehouse/Forklift/Machine operators). and administrative staff out in Edmonton AB Canada, so give me a PM if you are looking for something. Doubt any flyertalkers work in this field but worth a try
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
HOM is Hiring:

Social Media Coordinator

The in-house interactive department of the House of Miles (creator of such websites as FlyerTalk, Milepoint, BoardingArea, the Freddie Awards, InsideFlyer and more to come ...) is interviewing for an experienced, self-driven Social Media Coordinator.

The candidate must have a solid understanding of the social media universe and have a knowledge of or be willing to understand the makeup of our online customers, fans and critics of travel loyalty programs globally.

This person will serve as coordinator on many existing and new web and social media projects and properties, assisting with managing all online properties and accounts. Work directly with the owner—Randy Petersen to ensure the best possible experience for all our online audiences. Also provides strategic input and support for related programs and partnerships.

The top five requirements:
  1. Exceptional written and oral communication skills: Must be able to comfortably and professionally interact with various constituencies including blog partners, community volunteers and members, business partners, and airline and hotel program executives.
  2. Online community administration/moderation experience
  3. Wordpress administration experience: Should be knowledgeable about creating a Wordpress blog, adjusting settings and permissions, and managing plugins
  4. Familiarity with HTML and CSS: Doesn’t need to be an expert necessarily, but the more knowledge the better in this area. Should at least be able to read code and understand how content is positioned.
  5. Generally comfortable learning and working with online tools (e.g., Twitterfeed, Feedburner, Mailchimp, Google Analytics, etc)

Sound like you or someone you know? Let me hear from you: Randy Petersen

General items:
As noted this is an in-house position and candidates would be required to work at the real House of Miles (1930 Frequent Flyer Point, Colorado Springs, CO 80915).

The company has a medical/dental/401K match program. The company's pays 70% of the employees medical premium cost and 60% of the employees dental premium cost.

Employee's also seem to really enjoy a full kitchen stocked with unlimited snacks, soda and even ice cream!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.