Reload this Page >

The NYC Delicatessen DO: Sunday, November 7th, 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Long Train Runnin
Location: Second Avenue Deli - 162 East 33rd Street (between Lexington & 3rd Avenue)
Time: 1100 ET (please try to arrive a few minutes early)

Backup: Sarge's Deli (548 3rd Avenue)

Attending
GW McLintock
Long Train Runnin (NJ Transit Train of some variety.)
Zorak (Sunday 1720 UA 1141 EWR)
dhammer53
mhnadel
bk3day +1
M60_to_LGA
DELee +1 (Monday 1200 UA 2069 EWR)
CoffeeTraveler (Sunday 2000 B6 65 JFK)
Flying Machine (Sunday NJT Bus to Tom’s River)

Maybe
thewayofthefuture
SKYEG
Dublin_RFK
the_happiness_store
onetouchpass
st1575

Dublin_rfk
Print Wikipost

The NYC Delicatessen DO: Sunday, November 7th, 2021

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Leave it to me to read this as you're expecting. .

dh
That would be more than a bit unexpected...
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Deli update:

I have spoken to Second Avenue Deli and while they can't confirm anything, they likely will not be able to accommodate us.

I also recently learned that Ben's is now closed on weekends. While I appreciated them being able to take us in the past, I do not mind being forced into getting better food.

Katz's can allegedly handle groups and even has a private room. I am going to call some of the other delis as well and see what they have to say, but right now it appears that Katz's is the frontrunner.

-J.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
This looks amazing. If not for being already booked for a Bachelor Party in California, I would absolutely be there.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I happen to be in New Jersey on that day, so I’m highly considering. Sounds like a fun idea!
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
I'm interested. Been to Kats's and separately to Ben's with Dovster.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
I'm interested. Been to Kats's and separately to Ben's with Dovster.
I've added you to the "maybe" list.

-J.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:49 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
  • Second Avenue Deli Pass
  • Katz's Delicatessen They have a large space with long community tables in the back. The best part is they have the best pastrami in NYC.
I do adore pastrami at Katz's. I too am surprised at pass on 2nd Ave, it's been easily a decade since I've been but I thought 2nd Ave had the best corned beef.

I love this Do, just can't make one in NYC in 2021
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I do adore pastrami at Katz's. I too am surprised at pass on 2nd Ave, it's been easily a decade since I've been but I thought 2nd Ave had the best corned beef.

I guess that just means I'll have to go to Chicago for one of your DOs

-J.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
FYI, I was in the city mid afternoon and walked by Katz's. The line was 1 full city block long along Houston St. I'm guessing it's all tourist because no New Yorker would ever wait on a 90 - 120 minute line to eat. On weekdays you can walk right in (except during the month of December).
ShopAround and Flying Machine like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
FYI, I was in the city mid afternoon and walked by Katz's. The line was 1 full city block long along Houston St. I'm guessing it's all tourist because no New Yorker would ever wait on a 90 - 120 minute line to eat. On weekdays you can walk right in (except during the month of December).
Please don’t ask the taxi driver to take you to Houston Street (pronounced liked IAH airport) it’s pronounced HOW-STON or your fare is likely to increase dramatically. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Sweet Willie and HPN-HRL like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

I too wish I could make this Do, but alas I can’t. I was at Katz’s on Wednesday night. The long tables in back no longer exist. The biggest table they have is for 4 people. There are a couple of tables in back that don’t have the plexiglass partitions between tables but since the group isn’t too big (at this juncture) you should be ok. Also, the tables in the back on the way to the restrooms are now (mostly) waiter service only. They have reconfigured the layout since I was there last.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:36 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I just realized that the 50th running of New York City Marathon takes place that day. While the race course avoids lower Manhattan, with tens of thousands of participants and hundreds of thousands of spectators, hotels and flights are likely to be hard to book at reasonable prices or point redemptions for that weekend.

This reduces the likelihood that I'll be able to make it.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
I just realized that the 50th running of New York City Marathon takes place that day. While the race course avoids lower Manhattan, with tens of thousands of participants and hundreds of thousands of spectators, hotels and flights are likely to be hard to book at reasonable prices or point redemptions for that weekend.

This reduces the likelihood that I'll be able to make it.
I hadn't thought of that. I have already booked my hotel (as have a couple of other people) and rates were not too bad yet (both cash and points).

-J.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:50 am

Here is the Course Map

https://prodsitecore.blob.core.windo...rse_090221.pdf
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Lower Manhattan won't be affected, but Long Island City will -- this could have an impact post-Drunk DO.

There is a subway entrance on the south side of Queens Blvd., 1.5 blocks from the Aloft. So it should be okay... maybe.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.