Reload this Page >

The NYC Delicatessen DO: Sunday, November 7th, 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Long Train Runnin
Location: Second Avenue Deli - 162 East 33rd Street (between Lexington & 3rd Avenue)
Time: 1100 ET (please try to arrive a few minutes early)

Backup: Sarge's Deli (548 3rd Avenue)

Attending
GW McLintock
Long Train Runnin (NJ Transit Train of some variety.)
Zorak (Sunday 1720 UA 1141 EWR)
dhammer53
mhnadel
bk3day +1
M60_to_LGA
DELee +1 (Monday 1200 UA 2069 EWR)
CoffeeTraveler (Sunday 2000 B6 65 JFK)
Flying Machine (Sunday NJT Bus to Tom’s River)

Maybe
thewayofthefuture
SKYEG
Dublin_RFK
the_happiness_store
onetouchpass
st1575

Dublin_rfk
Print Wikipost

The NYC Delicatessen DO: Sunday, November 7th, 2021

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Please put me down as extremely likely!

For Pastrami, I prefer Katz's though I've not tried some of the newer places in Brooklyn
For Corned Beef, it's a toss up between Sarge's & 2nd Ave (though I still bear a grudge since they abandoned the original location w/o warning)
Gotta say, I haven't had tongue in quite awhile & would be interested to learn of a worthy deli.

fwiw, https://ny.eater.com/2021/2/17/22266...-best-pastrami
FlyerEC and GW McLintock like this.

Last edited by bk3day; Sep 30, 2021 at 11:33 am
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Are any of these restaurants licenced?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I would love to attend but my annual trip to LAS with my college buds is that weekend. Big bummer. I would love to go to any of these restaurants. Been to most of them except Sarge's so any of them would be great.

Keep me in mind for the next Deli Do.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
It has been indicated to me that there is interest in a bodega cat hunt following lunch, so we may have an activity for after the meal.

-J.
GrjApp and Zorak like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

In case anyone is wondering, this is the one at Ben’s Deli as organized by the Dovster:

First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Hannuka Do! NYC 11th December

I would really like to attend, as I have not been to a real New York delicatessen in a few years — but I highly doubt that I will be able to attend, like I did the one which was back in 2012.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Canarsie
In case anyone is wondering, this is the one at Ben’s Deli as organized by the Dovster:

First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Hannuka Do! NYC 11th December

I would really like to attend, as I have not been to a real New York delicatessen in a few years — but I highly doubt that I will be able to attend, like I did the one which was back in 2012.
I think that was the year I could not make it. I went the following year (and may have played a part in organizing it) IIRC -- which is how I remember that they could accommodate us at the time.

With the pandemic restrictions, of course, it may be different. Let this also serve as a reminder to all who attend that you must have proof of vaccination to dine indoors at NYC restaurants.

-J.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Things may have changed since 2012, but at the time Ben's was the only Deli which would give a group our size a reservation -- much less a separate room.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Dovster
Things may have changed since 2012, but at the time Ben's was the only Deli which would give a group our size a reservation -- much less a separate room.
You should come back for the DO! I'm still bummed out that I couldn't partake of your hospitality this past summer at that restaurant in the Galilee you talked about... Maybe next year, if they'll open up travel.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
You should come back for the DO! I'm still bummed out that I couldn't partake of your hospitality this past summer at that restaurant in the Galilee you talked about... Maybe next year, if they'll open up travel.
The invitation to the Galilee restaurant remains open. AOC has a better chance of being the Republican presidential candidate in 2024 than I do of coming to the DO. Yes, I would very much enjoy being there, but the traveling involved is too much for me. I would have to leave my house and drive 2 1/2 hours to TLV. As you know, Israel recommends that you show up for the Security check 3 hours before take off. TLV-JFK is 12 hours in the air. Figure one more hour for taxiing, deplaning, going through Passport Control, getting my checked baggage, and walking outside of the airport. Add on 90 minutes to get from JFK to my hotel. That makes it a 20 hour trip, which I have done many times in the past, but at age 75 (76 in December), it is just too much.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Dovster
The invitation to the Galilee restaurant remains open. AOC has a better chance of being the Republican presidential candidate in 2024 than I do of coming to the DO. Yes, I would very much enjoy being there, but the traveling involved is too much for me. I would have to leave my house and drive 2 1/2 hours to TLV. As you know, Israel recommends that you show up for the Security check 3 hours before take off. TLV-JFK is 12 hours in the air. Figure one more hour for taxiing, deplaning, going through Passport Control, getting my checked baggage, and walking outside of the airport. Add on 90 minutes to get from JFK to my hotel. That makes it a 20 hour trip, which I have done many times in the past, but at age 75 (76 in December), it is just too much.
We will hold a toast to you. That way you will be with us in spirit, if not in person. Don't forget there is also the Drunk DO the night before (daytime for you) on Zoom.

-J.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Holy crap.. I will be in NYC, so I'll be there!

Will be so nice to finally be able to say hello after all these years GW McLintock I land Saturday and flyout Monday, so good chance I'll come for drinks Saturday night after meetings as well. Will be at Park Hyatt
If you fly (do you drive to the airport or do you turn on the reading light at your seat?) and then especially work on Saturday, presumably before sundown, are you then allowed to join a kosher deli DO? It seems like a contradiction.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you fly (do you drive to the airport or do you turn on the reading light at your seat?) and then especially work on Saturday, presumably before sundown, are you then allowed to join a kosher deli DO? It seems like a contradiction.
Hmmm you're right, haven't thought about it that way(mainly just saw J had an event up for a Lunch DO, didn't think otherwise)...
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by navi_jen
OMG...you are so right. Wait, since I'm going to h$ll in a handbasket, let me add some whole milk to that Cuban order (I'll show myself out now)....
You probably put mayo on a pastrami sandwich.
navi_jen likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
You probably put mayo on a pastrami sandwich.
While not kosher, super tasty!

David

p.s. another option - go eggless mayo
Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by DELee
While not kosher, super tasty!

David

p.s. another option - go eggless mayo
I can't really comment since I don't want an FT timeout but I figure that's just another Southern California food oddity. (And a waste of pastrami)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.