Reload this Page >

The NYC Delicatessen DO: Sunday, November 7th, 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Long Train Runnin
Location: Second Avenue Deli - 162 East 33rd Street (between Lexington & 3rd Avenue)
Time: 1100 ET (please try to arrive a few minutes early)

Backup: Sarge's Deli (548 3rd Avenue)

Attending
GW McLintock
Long Train Runnin (NJ Transit Train of some variety.)
Zorak (Sunday 1720 UA 1141 EWR)
dhammer53
mhnadel
bk3day +1
M60_to_LGA
DELee +1 (Monday 1200 UA 2069 EWR)
CoffeeTraveler (Sunday 2000 B6 65 JFK)
Flying Machine (Sunday NJT Bus to Tom’s River)

Maybe
thewayofthefuture
SKYEG
Dublin_RFK
the_happiness_store
onetouchpass
st1575

Dublin_rfk
Print Wikipost

The NYC Delicatessen DO: Sunday, November 7th, 2021

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Serious post

Putting on my serious hat for a few moments...

With regard to payments: in case the deli does not allow us to do multiple checks per table, please bring cash or have access to a money-transfer app (i.e., PayPal or Venmo). We may not all be able to pay individually and should be prepared for this possiblity. You are of course expected to pay for what you ordered, along with 20% tip if applicable. So please have a means of payment other than a credit card available.

A note on proof of vaccination requirements: NYC is not playing around with this rule. I have mentioned this before so it should be no surprise:

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Let this also serve as a reminder to all who attend that you must have proof of vaccination to dine indoors at NYC restaurants.
You have three options when it comes to proof of vaccination: you can show your CDC vaccination record, a photo of your CDC vaccination record (on your phone, for example), or the New York State Excelsior Pass. In addition to this, you must show a valid government-issued photo ID. If you cannot furnish proof of vaccination, you may be denied entry into the establishment. I have seen it happen and it is not fun for anyone involved.

-J.
Xyzzy and TWA884 like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Putting on my serious hat for a few moments...

With regard to payments: in case the deli does not allow us to do multiple checks per table, please bring cash or have access to a money-transfer app (i.e., PayPal or Venmo). We may not all be able to pay individually and should be prepared for this possibility. You are of course expected to pay for what you ordered, along with 20% tip if applicable. So please have a means of payment other than a credit card available.

-J.
If they are unable to split in the current credit card era, I may request a separate table.

David
Old Nov 3, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by DELee
If they are unable to split in the current credit card era, I may request a separate table.
Most of these delis are very old fashioned and run very old systems. They are also very busy, especially on weekends, so a separate table may not be an option. However, if nobody else objects, perhaps you could be the designated payer for your table.

Again, this is only a possibility. We'll know for sure how it will play out when we arrive.

-J.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Most of these delis are very old fashioned and run very old systems. They are also very busy, especially on weekends, so a separate table may not be an option. However, if nobody else objects, perhaps you could be the designated payer for your table.

Again, this is only a possibility. We'll know for sure how it will play out when we arrive.

-J.
You have 10 people listed as attending and 6 more who might attend. Let's say that all 16 do. How many restaurants cannot handle 16 people at one time, all of whom walked in separately, ordered their meals, got their own tabs, and paid separately? I doubt that would cause a problem even in most rural diners, much less NYC restaurants. The waiter may not like not being able to put everything on one tab but it is very improbable that he will refuse and have 16 customers walk out.

Ben's managed to give all of us separate tabs. Lucille's Bad to the Bone in Boca Raton did it at five different Dos, including one where we had over 50 people. A small restaurant near Lugano was able to handle 9 of us (and would have taken more if we had a larger turnout). The Seaport Restaurant in Tel Aviv had no problem with 30 people. In each case, when I made the reservation the restaurant would have preferred a fixed meal with a single payer, but when I would not agree to that, accepted separate meals with everyone ordering what he wants and paying for his own tab.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Dovster
You have 10 people listed as attending and 6 more who might attend. Let's say that all 16 do. How many restaurants cannot handle 16 people at one time, all of whom walked in separately, ordered their meals, got their own tabs, and paid separately? I doubt that would cause a problem even in most rural diners, much less NYC restaurants. The waiter may not like not being able to put everything on one tab but it is very improbable that he will refuse and have 16 customers walk out.
Places in NYC will often have arbitrary rules about splitting checks - in some cases, they won't do it at all; in other cases they only will split it on two or maximum three cards. It's just part of the attitude that makes living here such a joy.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Places in NYC will often have arbitrary rules about splitting checks - in some cases, they won't do it at all; in other cases they only will split it on two or maximum three cards. It's just part of the attitude that makes living here such a joy.
I am not talking about splitting checks. I am talking about separate checks. That does make a difference as far as bookkeeping is concerned.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Dovster
I am not talking about splitting checks. I am talking about separate checks. That does make a difference as far as bookkeeping is concerned.
That too. Places will just refuse because they can't be bothered.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I hope I don’t get flamed too much for saying the following.. It’s difficult enough to be an organizer of a DO. Let’s not add additional stress to our host. He’s working hard enough to pull this off, let him enjoy the fruits of his labor! When you’re the organizer you can set your own rules.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I was going to say, it's not because they can't, it's just that they choose not to. And they know most people won't fight them on it.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I was going to say, it's not because they can't, it's just that they choose not to. And they know most people won't fight them on it.
"No gefilte fish for you!"

David
Xyzzy and GW McLintock like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
a couple years ago Mrs767 and I spent a long October weekend in Eastern Washington wine country with about a dozen FTers (mostly from the AS board) … they were keeping track of stuff on the Splitwise app, and it was pretty easy to see how much you owed Person A and how much Person B owed you on a running basis

I think someone has to be the “comptroller” to enter totals into the app
El_Chiflero likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
a couple years ago Mrs767 and I spent a long October weekend in Eastern Washington wine country with about a dozen FTers (mostly from the AS board) … they were keeping track of stuff on the Splitwise app, and it was pretty easy to see how much you owed Person A and how much Person B owed you on a running basis

I think someone has to be the “comptroller” to enter totals into the app
Well, there (should) be a relatively newly minted MBA in our midst during this DO...whether he's sober enough for the comptroller role, we'll see...

David
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Scratch one. I've got a customer emergency so I'm heading out Saturday evening.

Edit: Scratch again I'm a definite maybe. My customer just discovered his costs quadruple if I show up on Sunday.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Nov 4, 2021 at 3:29 pm
Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Excuse my New York bluntness, but nobody gives a rats a$$ what anyone thinks re: how you're going to pay for your meal. If you won't do it the restaurants way, no offense, they won't care what you do. It's a F you mentality; and since it's their house, it's their rules.

Just sayin.

Kudo's to Josh for organizing this. See you all on Sunday.

Where are we officially meeting? 2nd Ave Deli?

dh
Old Nov 4, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Returning from the ether to not only confirm my attendance but also adding a +1.

If space is an issue, just lmk & we'll respectfully but sadly bow out
GW McLintock likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.