Reload this Page >

The NYC Delicatessen DO: Sunday, November 7th, 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Long Train Runnin
Location: Second Avenue Deli - 162 East 33rd Street (between Lexington & 3rd Avenue)
Time: 1100 ET (please try to arrive a few minutes early)

Backup: Sarge's Deli (548 3rd Avenue)

Attending
GW McLintock
Long Train Runnin (NJ Transit Train of some variety.)
Zorak (Sunday 1720 UA 1141 EWR)
dhammer53
mhnadel
bk3day +1
M60_to_LGA
DELee +1 (Monday 1200 UA 2069 EWR)
CoffeeTraveler (Sunday 2000 B6 65 JFK)
Flying Machine (Sunday NJT Bus to Tom’s River)

Maybe
thewayofthefuture
SKYEG
Dublin_RFK
the_happiness_store
onetouchpass
st1575

Dublin_rfk
Print Wikipost

The NYC Delicatessen DO: Sunday, November 7th, 2021

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Cool The NYC Delicatessen DO: Sunday, November 7th, 2021

I have been hoping to plan an event like this for quite some time, so allow me to welcome you to the New York City Delicatessen DO! Please join me for one of my favorite cuisines, the Kosher Delicatessen, on Sunday, November 7th, 2021. This event is in conjunction with the 16th OMNI Bugger-I-Am-Drunk DO the night before.

The plan is very simple: get lunch at a classic Jewish-style delicatessen in Manhattan. There are a number of options, and in the coming days I will find out which places can accommodate a large group. Unfortunately it appears the Second Avenue Deli (my first choice) may not be able to seat such a large group, however there are other places we could go, including Ben's (which I don't love, but has successfully hosted a DO in the past).

Please indicate your interest in attending using the wiki above. As the date approaches, we will finalize the details and determine a location. I look forward to seeing you at the deli

-J.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Location: Second Avenue Deli - 162 East 33rd Street (between Lexington & 3rd Avenue)
Time:1100 ET (please try to arrive a few minutes early)

Backup: Sarge's Deli (548 3rd Avenue)

Please see this post for details about payments and proof of vaccination requirements.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Nov 3, 2021 at 12:41 pm
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:10 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'll see you there!
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm in!
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Grumble, grumble...it's likely my moving weekend. Have a Cuban and a dill pickle for me
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navi_jen
Grumble, grumble...it's likely my moving weekend. Have a Cuban and a dill pickle for me
Pretty sure a Cuban is the opposite of kosher The pickle however can be arranged.

-J.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Pretty sure a Cuban is the opposite of kosher The pickle however can be arranged.

-J.
OMG...you are so right. Wait, since I'm going to h$ll in a handbasket, let me add some whole milk to that Cuban order (I'll show myself out now)....

Last edited by navi_jen; Sep 28, 2021 at 8:51 pm
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Since you asked for my opinion

Possible locations: (feel free to add to the list)
  • Second Avenue Deli Pass
  • Sarge's Deli The weekday lunch specials are killer, and surprisingly good.
  • Pastrami Queen Haven't been in years.
  • PJ Bernstein Deli Never heard of them. Are they new?
  • Ben's Kosher Delicatessen Easy Pass, in spite of the DovsterDo many years ago.
  • Katz's Delicatessen They have a large space with long community tables in the back. The best part is they have the best pastrami in NYC. Separate checks and no tipping makes this my #1 choice.
Katz's #1 https://katzsdelicatessen.com/
Sarges #2 https://sargesdeli.com/dine-in

Lunch or dinner will probably set you back $35 minimum. That's a sandwich, drink, tax (and tip at Sarge's). Add fries or a knish, and cheesecake and you're pushing $50. Where can I sign up?? I'm local and have gone without for almost 2 years.

The DO organizer has a serious responsibility to pick the right location. You want all attendees to leave with a good taste in their mouth. No pun intended.

Dan
Xyzzy, mnmag, dinoscool3 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Since you asked for my opinion

Possible locations: (feel free to add to the list)
  • Second Avenue Deli Pass
  • Sarge's Deli The weekday lunch specials are killer, and surprisingly good.
  • Pastrami Queen Haven't been in years.
  • PJ Bernstein Deli Never heard of them. Are they new?
  • Ben's Kosher Delicatessen Easy Pass, in spite of the DovsterDo many years ago.
  • Katz's Delicatessen They have a large space with long community tables in the back. The best part is they have the best pastrami in NYC. Separate checks and no tipping makes this my #1 choice.
Katz's #1 https://katzsdelicatessen.com/
Sarges #2 https://sargesdeli.com/dine-in

Lunch or dinner will probably set you back $35 minimum. That's a sandwich, drink, tax (and tip at Sarge's). Add fries or a knish, and cheesecake and you're pushing $50. Where can I sign up?? I'm local and have gone without for almost 2 years.

The DO organizer has a serious responsibility to pick the right location. You want all attendees to leave with a good taste in their mouth. No pun intended.

Dan
I am very surprised by your ranking. Second Avenue is easily my favorite. I agree on Ben's, but I would easily skip Katz's. They have good pastrami but that's about it (and they aren't kosher). PJ Bernstein's has been around since the 60s I think, though I've never been. I only keep Ben's in the ranking since I know they can accommodate our group. I plan to put out a survey once I have a better idea of where we can go, so you can't blame me!!!

-J.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you dig deep on the Sarge's menu, they have a Sunday brunch special between 9:00 - 3:00. Champagne Brunch $24.95. It's the last page of their menu. I may try to convince my wife to test this out with me before the DeliDo.

They're not Kosher.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I am very surprised by your ranking. Second Avenue is easily my favorite. I agree on Ben's, but I would easily skip Katz's. They have good pastrami but that's about it (and they aren't kosher). PJ Bernstein's has been around since the 60s I think, though I've never been. I only keep Ben's in the ranking since I know they can accommodate our group. I plan to put out a survey once I have a better idea of where we can go, so you can't blame me!!!

-J.
Wherever the group ends up going, our meal will be delicious (even at Ben's). I would never blame you. The DeliDo is a great idea.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Holy crap.. I will be in NYC, so I'll be there!

Will be so nice to finally be able to say hello after all these years GW McLintock I land Saturday and flyout Monday, so good chance I'll come for drinks Saturday night after meetings as well. Will be at Park Hyatt
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Oof if Qatar hadn’t switched me to Chicago I could have popped in on the way back from the honeymoon
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Holy crap.. I will be in NYC, so I'll be there!

Will be so nice to finally be able to say hello after all these years GW McLintock I land Saturday and flyout Monday, so good chance I'll come for drinks Saturday night after meetings as well. Will be at Park Hyatt
It will be really great to finally meet you. Looking forward to it.

-J.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I won't be able to attend, but if you do end up at Ben's and anyone is inclined to order a Dr. Brown's black cherry, I suggest foregoing it in favor of the fountain black cherry soda: much more intense cherry flavor, IMHO.

dhammer53 is right about Sarge's: great food and decent prices. But, as noted, it's not kosher. (I used to be a regular there for lunch years ago when I worked nearby.)

Another kosher deli option in Manhattan is Mendy's, now located at 441 Park Avenue South. (If you do go to Mendy's, avoid sitting near Kenny Bania. )
dhammer53 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.