Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Saturday Gardens Walk Reminder 10:45am

Please meet at princes Bridge near Federation Square 10:45am for 11:00am departure. Location on Google Maps

Meeting Point

To help us keep track, please indicate your intention to come along by registering using the OZFest Gardens walk link found here:

OzFest 18 - 27th-29th May 2022 - Melbourne

While rated "Easy" the walk does involve some extended inclines and some stone steps - I suggest you wear comfortable sturdy shoes.

Below I have included some information. I will have printed copies of this to give out at the meeting point.
Storyteller and penegal like this.

Last edited by serfty; May 27, 2022 at 4:12 pm
Old May 27, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Walk Part 1

1. Princes Bridge

The bridge is built on the site of one of the oldest river crossings in the city, and forms a gateway into the central city from the south. The bridge connects Swanston Street on the north bank of the Yarra River to St Kilda Road on the south bank for road, tram and pedestrian traffic. The present bridge was built in 1888 and is Heratage listed.

2. Yarra River

Check the views of the Yarra while crossing Princes Bridge.

Yarra means Falling Waters. The lower stretches of the Yarra River or historically, the Yarra Yarra River, are where Victoria's state capital Melbourne was established in 1835, and today metropolitan Greater Melbourne dominates and influences the landscape of its lower reaches. Walk down the "Yarra River walk" to the edge of the river and the Alexandra Gardens and its rowing sheds.

3. Angel Sculpture

Keep an eye out for this large sculpture, created by Deborah Halpern in 1989, on the other side of the River. It was orginally Installed at the Victorian Arts Center but in 1996 it was relocated Birrarung Marr, as part of the renovation of the NGV.

4. Pioneer Women's Garden

This sunken garden commemorates the contribution of women settlers to the development of the state of Victoria. It was built in 1934 as part of the celebration for the Centenary of Melbourne that year.

5. The Grotto

The original quarry that supplied stone for the Botanic Gardens. In 1981 it was landscaped with Water cascades through a series of features into a grotto, then flows into a series of circular pools. Bridges and pathways provide meandering walkways around the pools.

6. The Tan

The 3.8km "The Tan" Track is Melbourne's most popular running track; it loops around Kings Domain and the Royal Botanical Gardens. The surface is mostly gravel and was originally built as a horse racing track. The name "Tan" refers to the tan bark sufacing of the original equestrian track, which was originally only 1 mile long. Equestrian activities had largely ceased by the 1950s and the current track was established in 1974, resurfaced with a mixture of rock and gravel.
Storyteller and boxo like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Walk Part 2

7. Royal Botanical Gardens

The Gardens have been a treasured part of Melbourne’s cultural life for more than 170 years. It is a picturesque haven for recreation and an important resource for education, conservation, science and horticulture. The Gardens extends over 38 hectares and houses a collection of more than 8,500 species of plants from around the world, including amazing and diverse plant collections such as camellias, rainforest flora, cacti and succulents, roses, Californian species, herbs, perennials, cycads and plants from Southern China.

8. Ornamental Lake and Terrace Cafe

Enjoy a stroll around the ornamental lake. Whether you have brought a picnic, or purchase some food here, this is the place for a light lunch and a rest, looking out over the lake.

9. Garden "Collections"

Walk up the hill through several Plant Collections including-

a. a Bamboo garden: see how the light changes as you walk through the stand of bamboo.

b. b Fern Gully: Meander up the hill through the forest of Fern Gully, replicating many such gullies to be found in Victoria.

c. c California Garden: Walk through this collection of plants from an American state with a similar variety of ecosystem types to Victoria.

d. d Arid Garden: This Cacti and Succulent Garden is about 60 years old with over 1,000 plants with 100 rare and some threatened species.

10. Guilfoyle's Volcano

Built for water storage in 1876, it is now represents an interesting juxtaposition of wetland on the inside, desert garden outside.

11. Southern Lawns

Head past several features through to the Vistor Centre. View the Oak Lawn in it's current Golden Glory, an Australia Forest Walk, the National Herbarium of Victoria and the Children's Garden.

12. Gardens Visitor Centre

The visitor centre is compact. You'll also find the observatory, gift shop, cafe and public toilets here. A good place for a short pit stop before continuing.

13. Shrine of Remembrance

The Shrine was founded in 1934 and is Victoria's national memorial honouring the service and sacrifice of Australians in war and peacekeeping. For history, pelase visit https://www.shrine.org.au/history-shrine-remembrance.

14. War memorials

Beyond the Shrine, there are a range of war memorials in this area which you can wander around and view.

15. Fork in the Road - Ready for More or Had Sufficient?

At this point you can wander further though the King's Domain through to the Queen Victoria Gardens OR head over to St. Kilda road and catch a tram the 1.6km back to the CBD, or a bit of both.

16. King's Domain

King George V memorial - Near the entrance to the Myer Music Bowl is this memorial to King George V, who ruled from 1910-1936 (but the statue was not built until 1952). The King's Domain was named in his honour.

17. Queen Victoria Gardens

Queen Victoria Monument - Queen Victoria towers over these Gardens as she once stood astride the British Empire. You can share the great view she enjoys over these surprisingly beautiful Gardens, named in her honour.

18. Ponds and statues

A series of ponds with a variety of statues. Despite being incredibly close to the heart of the City these they create an oasis like atmosphere in the Queen Victoria Gardens.
Storyteller, boxo and penegal like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
I had a sore throat and cough last night and did an instant covid test this morning. The result is very faint but I will error on the side of caution and stay away from everyone. I'm devastated as this also affects my next destination, MCY to visit family. I will welcome any advice.

Very faint "positive" line.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I had a sore throat and cough last night and did an instant covid test this morning. The result is very faint but I will error on the side of caution and stay away from everyone. I'm devastated as this also affects my next destination, MCY to visit family. I will welcome any advice.

Oh, that's bad luck! I'm sorry to hear it. I hope you have an easy time of it. I still haven't completely recovered from my January infection.

You will need to report your result at this link and isolate for 7 days. If your +1 was sharing sharing a room with you they also need to isolate unless they test negative.

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/report

You can go and get a PCR test and if that's negative you'll be cleared.

Look after yourself!
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'll be doing the walk today, I'll catch up with the group if I don't make it before 11 which will probably be the case since I just got out of the shower
Storyteller and penegal like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Originally Posted by rxgeek

Ouch! Yes faint line is still a concern, and likely positive. As Falconea says, a PCR will give you a clearer result, and path of action.
Hope you 2 don't have too bad a time with it!

I was in MSY a few weeks ago for the Freddies and friends and food 😁
Old May 27, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
I'll be doing the walk today, I'll catch up with the group if I don't make it before 11 which will probably be the case since I just got out of the shower
we will wait until 11:20am
Old May 27, 2022, 7:43 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Looks like it’s continuous delay ex-BNE so must have been a plane go unserviceable

I’m now delayed 2 hours as well, leaving on VA336. Will only have time to drop bags and go straight to dinner. VA will feed and water me in the Lounge and I’ll get some work done

Old May 27, 2022, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just saw this pop up on facebook, hard to believe that Oz Fest was 6 years ago now, guess that was the Gold Coast.

QF WP, Storyteller and JessicaTam like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:48 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Seems that the issue was lack of available crew. Not the only flight to have that issue, another flight also delayed.
Old May 28, 2022, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QF WP
Looks like it’s continuous delay ex-BNE so must have been a plane go unserviceable
I’m now delayed 2 hours as well, leaving on VA336. Will only have time to drop bags and go straight to dinner. VA will feed and water me in the Lounge and I’ll get some work done
Originally Posted by QF WP
Seems that the issue was lack of available crew. Not the only flight to have that issue, another flight also delayed.
VA336 not yet departed from https://virgin-australia.flight-status.info/va-336
https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-tracker/VA/336
https://www.melbourne-airport.com/tu...-arrival/VA336
Old May 28, 2022, 12:07 am

Currently another 20 mins delayed so I am definitely going to be late to dinner.

Might even end up coming to dinner straight from getting to Great Southern (Skybus on the way in). Thankfully I’m HLO (1 small bag and laptop bag).

It’s just too far to get all the way to my accom on City Rd and then back again
penegal likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 12:10 am

Yay - just got the boarding call
Fredd, serfty, Storyteller and 2 others like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 1:35 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
My “other” dinner has been cancelled due to illness of the protagonist, so I will now be free to attend Bang Pop tonight.

Don’t worry, I’ll be late just to live up to my brand… now what time does it start?
Storyteller and CDKing like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.