Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm not sure they even care. Sucks I have to give up my Flagship Business upgrade for tonight. I should be out quarantine just in time for the LAX in n out do
You lucky dog. What a life.
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
My symptoms kicked into overdrive on the flight from SYD. My rapid at LAX I took in flagship lounge shower I thought I could see faint positive line but it could have just been the lighting. I took rapid pcr and have to wait another few hours for the results
My PCR just came in positive.
I hope you recover quickly! Where are you holed up in LA?
Old May 30, 2022, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Storyteller
I hope you recover quickly! Where are you holed up in LA?
I got a hotel near where my sister lives in the Pico-Robertson neighborhood. I figured she could go on supply runs. Luckily it's not a forced quarantine so I just got back from a walk of the neighborhood.
serfty and Storyteller like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Weird, weird, weird. I had a teledoctor appointment and a supervised RAT test. The test came up negative. Both the supervised testing company and the doc said I looked fine. So now I'm wondering if I had a false positive and am quarantined for no reason? Plus I already cancelled my business class flight for Friday, thinking I had to wait out quarantine. Not sure what to think at this point.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:53 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cocobird
Weird, weird, weird. I had a teledoctor appointment and a supervised RAT test. The test came up negative. Both the supervised testing company and the doc said I looked fine. So now I'm wondering if I had a false positive and am quarantined for no reason? Plus I already cancelled my business class flight for Friday, thinking I had to wait out quarantine. Not sure what to think at this point.
Get a PCR test so you know one way or other. RATs quite often give false negatives! Use the link below to find the closest testing centre to you. it should be free even for non residents.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/stay...esting/clinics
serfty and Storyteller like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:12 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
I could give you a link to a long article about this. Short version: RAT tests are very unreliable when they give a negative result. They are very reliable when giving a positive result.

Here's the minimum specifications for RATs approved in Australia:
  1. A specificity of 98% (ie maximum 2% false positives compared to PCR)
  2. A sensitivity of 80% (ie maximum 20% false negatives compared to PCR)
This sensitivity is measures against the accuracy of a PCR test which itself is not foolproof - it all depends on where the virus is in your body and how well the sample was taken,

(Yes, RATs are being used inappropriately. They are totally not for fit for purpose in determining if someone does not have the virus. Good to tell if someone does have the virus.)
QF WP, Storyteller and rxgeek like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Just had a call from the NSW Health Services. They said that false negatives are common, but false positives are not. The doctor was great in outlining my options. He does not recommend I take a PCR. He says that if I quarantine and do not develop worse symptoms, they will provide a letter stating I can travel after completing the seven days. The US requires either a negative test or a letter from an appropriate health authority, so at least that give me a timeframe for flying home. He thinks I should go on antivirals and is looking into getting them for me.
Mwenenzi, falconea, QF WP and 3 others like this.

Last edited by cocobird; Jun 1, 2022 at 12:40 pm
Old May 31, 2022, 12:28 am

I am so impressed by the Australian healthcare professionals that I have met throughout today. This morning, I was completely lost, now I feel confident that the system works and will take care of me. Even though I am not an Australian, the doctors are concerned about compassionate care for everyone.
Mwenenzi, falconea, kpc and 7 others like this.

Last edited by cocobird; May 31, 2022 at 1:38 am
Old May 31, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by rxgeek
After 2 frustrating days of trying to contact a teledoc, we decided to go to the ER. After a 3 hour wait at the Royal Melbourne Hospital we got a wonderful doctor who prescribed Paxlovid for me and made sure the pharmacy had it. The hospital waived their AUD$500+ fee d/t covid. The med was only $42.50. Aussie healthcare is very cheap when you can get it. We should get our PCR results today. I'm still confined to my Courtyard room until Saturday when we leave for the Sunshine Coast. They erroneously told my wife that she was confined, too and told us the quarantine expires Saturday at midnight. Hotels don't know the rules.
Thanks to all for your concerns and it was great to see everyone even for only a few hours.
Every one of our flights were either delayed or cancelled and now this. This turned into the trip from hell.
I/we hope you are OK quickly.

It's probably good to get all the issues together on one trip.
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
As an aside, I have friends just back from Australia with covid-like symptoms but tested negative on RAT repeatedly.

Turns out they have a nasty influenza variant that us highly transmissible and is ‘doing the rounds’.

Take care all.
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:26 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Yikes. Hope everyone has minimal symptoms
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:57 am

Just had a call from the NSW Health Services. They said that false negatives are common, but false positives are not. The doctor was great in outlining my options. He does not recommend I take a PCR. He says that if I quarantine and do not develop symptoms, they will provide a letter stating I can travel after completing the seven days. The US requires either a negative test or a letter from an appropriate health authority, so at least that give me a timeframe for flying home. He thinks I should go on antivirals and is looking into getting them for me.
Me personally, I'd like to know if I actually do have it. Helps with faster decision making steps if things go sideways. And also longer term potential issues 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️
Old May 31, 2022, 4:48 am
kpc

Originally Posted by Storyteller
Me personally, I'd like to know if I actually do have it. Helps with faster decision making steps if things go sideways. And also longer term potential issues 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️
NSW Health are trying to push people away from PCRs to RATs...intresting my hospital always prefers we get PCRs over RATs...wonder why Since the pandemic started I have had over 25+ PCR tests and about 10 RATs 😀. Also have access to rapid PCRs with results back in an hour but don't do that too often as there is limited reagents. If I'm personally worried about Covid I go straight to PCR...
QF WP and Storyteller like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:51 am
kpc

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
As an aside, I have friends just back from Australia with covid-like symptoms but tested negative on RAT repeatedly.

Turns out they have a nasty influenza variant that us highly transmissible and is ‘doing the rounds’.

Take care all.
When we do PCRs at my hospital, we also test for Influenza A and B and RSV at the same time. 😀 Don't forget to get your flu vaccine this year!
Old May 31, 2022, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by kpc
NSW Health are trying to push people away from PCRs to RATs...intresting my hospital always prefers we get PCRs over RATs...wonder why Since the pandemic started I have had over 25+ PCR tests and about 10 RATs 😀. Also have access to rapid PCRs with results back in an hour but don't do that too often as there is limited reagents. If I'm personally worried about Covid I go straight to PCR...
Agree with you kpc, straight to the Gold standard.
SEA777GUY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.