Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
OzFest 18 2022 - Gardens Walk 10:45am Saturday 28th May

Originally Posted by kpc
...We will do the Sat walk....will need to know exact meeting point ...
Originally Posted by cocobird
I would like to go on the Saturday walk since this is my first visit to Melbourne. Thank you.

Botanic Gardens 21 May 2022

The walk is up to maybe 8km (5 Miles) and takes in a little of the Alexandra Gardens with a walk along the Yarra to the Kings Domain, along "The Tan" a bit and through to the Royal Botanic Gardens. Autumn (Fall) is a bit late this year and many of the trees have leaves of golden hue.

After a leisurely meander through the Botanic Gardens including a short stop for a light lunch (BYO or purchase at "The Terrace") we then arrive at the Gardens Visitor centre.

From there we wander over to the Shrine of Remembrance and other memorials in the area. After that if you still feel energetic enough you can wander through the Victoria Gardens back to the CBD or catch a tram instead. I expect this all to take about three hours.

While rated "Easy" the walk does involve some extended inclines and some stone steps - I suggest you wear comfortable sturdy shoes.

Please meet at princes Bridge near Federation Square 10:45am for 11:00am departure. Location on Google Maps

Meeting Point

To help us keep track, please indicate your intention to come along by registering using the OZFest Gardens walk link found here:

OzFest 18 - 27th-29th May 2022 - Melbourne

Last edited by serfty; May 23, 2022 at 5:33 am
Old May 23, 2022, 3:46 am

I was looking forward to Saturdays dinner. Unfortunately a family thing has come up. Enjoy everyone.
Old May 23, 2022, 4:51 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by serfty

Botanic Gardens 21 May 2022

The walk is up to maybe 8km (5 Miles) and takes in a little of the Alexandra Gardens with a walk along the Yarra to the Kings Domain, along "The Tan" a bit and through to the Royal Botanic Gardens. Autumn (Fall) is a bit late this year and many of the trees have leaves of golden hue.

After a leisurely meander through the Botanic Gardens including a short stop for a light lunch (BYO or purchase at "The Terrace") we then arrive at the Gardens Visitor centre.

From there we wander over to the Shrine of Remembrance and other memorials in the area. After that if you still feel energetic enough you can wander through the Victoria Gardens back to the CBD or catch a tram instead. I expect this all to take about three hours.

While rated "Easy" the walk can involve some inclines and a few stone steps - I suggest you wear comfortable sturdy shoes.

Please meet at princes Bridge near Federation Square 10:45am for 11:00am departure. Location on Google Maps

Meeting Point

To help us keep track, please indicate your intention to come along by registering using the OZFest Gardens walk link found here:

OzFest 18 - 27th-29th May 2022 - Melbourne
registered x2
Old May 23, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I've actually seen places in the UK use beetroot with salmon, so it's not purely an Oz thing.
As they say in Australian jokes - you can't beetaroot, but until you try, you don't know...
My local (eastern Massachusetts, U.S. of A.) sushi place uses it as a garnish with salmon sashimi. So it's not even just places that were under British rule more recently than 1776.

That said, reading this thread makes me wish I was with you folks next weekend. Why do I torture myself? Hopefully in 2023 ...
QF WP and FlyerEC like this.

Last edited by Efrem; May 23, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Old May 23, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I just paid for Dinner, I'm not sure about the Saturday walk yet. I'm so out of shape nearly killed my legs with too much walking over the weekend.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Disappointing news for me - I'm having to pull the pin on OZFest this year. Back from an extended trip to the States - LONG overdue to visit loved ones - and just not able kick a bug I got while there.

Sorry for the late notice and doubly-sorry that I'll miss out on the fun. Was very much looking forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones.

Hope you all have a blast and I'm sure you'll post loads of pics.
QF WP and Storyteller like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Originally Posted by alief
Disappointing news for me - I'm having to pull the pin on OZFest this year. Back from an extended trip to the States - LONG overdue to visit loved ones - and just not able kick a bug I got while there.

Sorry for the late notice and doubly-sorry that I'll miss out on the fun. Was very much looking forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones.

Hope you all have a blast and I'm sure you'll post loads of pics.
Great to hear you got back to visit family but sorry to hear you've come home with a lingering bug!
We'll get back into the groove of catchups sometime!
aleaf likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
It's really unlikely that I'll get there this year. There's so much going on following the storm damage from February. Planning of the restoration of my clinic finally starting to happen! Not a moment too soon.
I hope you all have a lovely time.
And I especially want to know what BangPop is like, seeing I suggested it 😃😋😋
QF WP likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:23 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
Oh hai Flyertalk…

Thank you to the numerous people who have reminded me in private about this event…

Please remain calm…

Surprisingly Oz Fest 18 is exactly where I left it - in my calendar on the correct dates, who would have thought? It most certainly is not lost… that would be like the time the bus driver got stuck at the Shangri-La Cairns waiting for lowjhg, whom I believe was actually at home/work in Singapore, and therefore would not be attending the bus parked outside the hotel approx ~3112 (or ~3130?) miles away.
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Plat No 0010XXX, AA Plat 2 MM, Sinbad Blue, HHonors Dia., Marriott Titanium, IHG Amb
Confirming bookings made and paid.

Thanks very kindly to Organizers for all their work.
I can confirm I have booked (and paid where required ) for -
Friday Dinner
Saturday 11am walk
Saturday Dinner.

Look forward to seeing friends previously met , and new.
John.
Fredd, QF WP, serfty and 2 others like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Storyteller
It's really unlikely that I'll get there this year.
Sorry to miss you!
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Registered for the Saturday walk. Just a heads up, haven't walked five miles in years, so may need to leave early.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cocobird
Registered for the Saturday walk. Just a heads up, haven't walked five miles in years, so may need to leave early.
cocobird will be the early bird!

David
Storyteller and cocobird like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rxgeek
What's with the Aussie love of beetroot? At least it isn't cured in Vegemite. (Bracing myself for the pushback).
After reading the back and forth about beetroot, I had to try it at breakfast this morning. It was quite pleasant, slightly sweet, and generally delightful.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Registered X 2 for the walk.
Storyteller likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.