Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
So, being in Perth, last night the border opening goalposts weren't so much moved as removed. Hopefully, the goalposts will be returned before ozFest......
Bundy Bear likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Qantas has cancelled my flights to and from Australia without warning or explanation (RT SFO/SYD). I'm not sure I'm going to be able to find replacement business class seats or not. Nothing available at the moment. Terribly disappointed after missing the last Do.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:38 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Offish topic fro this thread
Originally Posted by cocobird
Qantas has cancelled my flights to and from Australia without warning or explanation (RT SFO/SYD). I'm not sure I'm going to be able to find replacement business class seats or not. Nothing available at the moment. Terribly disappointed after missing the last Do.
Was this a cash or award booking? Are QF selling LAX/SFO - SYD/MEL about the dates you want?
QF, UA, AA & DL are flying USA-AU, mainly LAX-SYD. But not everyday. Demand is not high. And Air NZ and Fiji via their home bases.

We hope you can make it and the AU Govt fully opens the border

Last edited by Oz Fest; Jan 26, 2022 at 8:56 pm
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Oz Fest
Was this a cash or award booking? Are QF selling LAX/SFO - SYD/MEL about the dates you want?
QF, UA, AA & DL are flying USA-AU, mainly LAX-SYD. But not everyday. Demand is not high. And Air NZ and Fiji via their home bases.

We hope you can make it and the AU Govt fully opens the border
It was an award booking made thru Alaska Air. According to the Alaska representative, the entire flight was simply cancelled. She looked for alternative dates covering a week period (I'm flexible) and alternative flights through other cities such as LAX, however, there were no business or first seats available. She indicated that flights from SFO had also been cancelled. I was willing to fly thru Sydney, Brisbane, MEL from LAX, SFO, SEA. Qantas business or first is generally difficult to find, so was delighted when I booked this some months back. She also checked alternative carriers such as Fiji, but no joy.

Will look at Star Alliance flights next. Hopefully I will find something. Australia was going to be my first international trip for over two years.

I will continue looking, although my need for comfort (business or first) greatly outweighs my desire to get to Australia via coach.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Australian border restrictions are still in place for overseas visitors.

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/travel-restrictionsImportant information for travel to Australia

Fully vaccinated Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible visa holders can travel to and from Australia without needing to apply for a travel exemption.

Immediate family members of Australian citizens, permanent residents or New Zealand citizens usually resident in Australia who do not hold an eligible visa must provide proof of relationship before travel by submitting an exemption request through the Travel Exemption Portal.

All other temporary visa holders seeking to travel to Australia must apply for a travel exemption.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 4:26 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Australian border restrictions are still in place for overseas visitors.

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/travel-restrictionsImportant information for travel to Australia

Fully vaccinated Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible visa holders can travel to and from Australia without needing to apply for a travel exemption.

Immediate family members of Australian citizens, permanent residents or New Zealand citizens usually resident in Australia who do not hold an eligible visa must provide proof of relationship before travel by submitting an exemption request through the Travel Exemption Portal.

All other temporary visa holders seeking to travel to Australia must apply for a travel exemption.
Some hope for our OS FTers to attend this years' Ozfest in Melbourne

https://www.news.com.au/travel/scott...78937c3894d6a6
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Also for those from the US Qantas has just loaded some flights from LAX-BNE and there will be a 2nd daily flight with a day time departure ex LA

https://www.australianfrequentflyer....sbane-flights/
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:27 am
kpc

Australia reopens international border to world from 21 February 2022 as long as you are vaccinated!

https://7news.com.au/travel/australi...y-21-c-5597952
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Will this include Victoria opening up? Specifically, must US visitors still quarantine?
Oz Fest likes this.

Last edited by rxgeek; Feb 7, 2022 at 11:05 am
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:27 am
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

off topic

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Will this include Victoria opening up? Specifically, must US visitors still quarantine?
No quarantine for vaccinated travellers to VIC QLD NSW. For TAS, NT SA? WA is still closed.
States can have there own restrictions, including quarantine crossing an international/state border.

Look here
AU Govt -->COVID-19 and the border Worth checking this site from time to time
AU Govt--> COVID-19 and the border Travel restrictions and exemptions
Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Last edited by Oz Fest; Feb 7, 2022 at 2:21 pm Reason: spelling and states
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Just curious. Are Australians happy to be having foreigners coming in again? Wondering how we'll be greeted there. I guess we're coming after things have been open a few months so might be different initially.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:14 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Please keep this thread on Oz Fest 18

Originally Posted by Governator
Just curious. Are Australians happy to be having foreigners coming in again? Wondering how we'll be greeted there. I guess we're coming after things have been open a few months so might be different initially.
Any other question best asked in the main AU Cv19 thread-->Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]
Thanks
Governator likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Have to pass on this year but hoping we can make it in 2023. I miss Australia.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:32 am
kpc

You will need to be triple vaccinated to get into Melbourne, Victoria. FYI

https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...12144c53b806cf
Oz Fest likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:53 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kpc
You will need to be triple vaccinated to get into Melbourne, Victoria. FYI
https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...12144c53b806cf
Post 5 has been updated with links to AU Federal Govt and Victorian State Govt.
These may change over time

FT thread-->Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.