Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 18 Melbourne, VIC, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 27 to May 29, 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
offish topic

You can go now, as the AU govt has opened the NZ to AU TT bubble (for tourists from NZ). [ t&c's are like is was last time [url=https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/new-zealand] *Link* ]
The real question is will Jacinda/Chipper/Ashley let you back in without doing 7~14 days in isolation!
My view is the NZ Govt will cave in mid Dec to let anyone/everyone leave AKL and a little later open the border with AU with no or a few days home isolation. If not will be a lot of one way tickets NZ to AU sold. The grass is greener on the other side of the ditch
Only time will tell...

Right now I wouldn't be so certain on AU travel with home isolation this year, I'd still be picking that as being something that could happen before the end of January... But 6 weeks is a long time, and people here are getting very angry. We've been told international travel with home isolation could be reality by the end of March, but I'm not sure if keeping our MIQ going in it's currently form is going to be politically tenable much past January.

It's going to be so interesting to see where Sydney and Melbourne are a month from now. If the world isn't ending it's going to make NZ's position of preventing people from traveling so much harder for our government.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Going for Gold!

Put me down for Gold. I have to be in Brisbane for a conference May 13-15 anyway, so if I can find enough vacation coverage I should be able to attend at least part of the weekend.

If it makes a difference, I'll be in YYZ instead of YQT by May.
Oz Fest likes this.

Last edited by Arcanum; Nov 6, 2021 at 10:50 pm
Old Nov 6, 2021, 11:03 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Arcanum
Put me down for Gold. I have to be in Brisbane for a conference May 13-15 anyway, so if I can find enough vacation coverage I should be able to attend at least part of the weekend.

If it makes a difference, I'll be in YYZ instead of YQT by May.
Hope you can make it. And hope QLD is open.
You could to get the long haul flights via MEL
Old Nov 7, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by Oz Fest
Hope you can make it. And hope QLD is open.
You could to get the long haul flights via MEL
It seems Australia is finally figuring out that eradication is a pipe dream and they're just going to have to live with COVID like everyone else. Hopefully that means the border will be open for commercial travel by May, even if tourists still aren't allowed in. I'll be triple and possibly even quadruple vaxxed by then and I'm screened/tested for work regularly, so the chances of me bringing anything in are pretty low.

As for flights, I've already got JFK-HKG-SYD in CX F and MEL-TYO-JFK in JL F booked. Hurray for Mileage Plan and free cancellations!
Aus_Mal likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Just thought I'd check in to say I won't be able to attend OzFest next year. This Kangaroo will be stretching their legs across the ditch to HNL then courtesy of a discount JQ fare from SYD (~$300 starter fare which I moved up to a plus fare to earn the 90 SCs return).

The One, The Only
-RooFlyer88
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Put rxgeek+1 and me as Gold. We've been to Mel twice before and loved it. If we come, we will also visit the rellies in the Sunshine Coast.
penegal likes this.

Last edited by rxgeek; Dec 27, 2021 at 9:57 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 25, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Drop me to Bronze. Have fun & Happy Christmas!
Old Dec 25, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Drop me to Bronze. Have fun & Happy Christmas!
Sorry to hear this. We are still hoping to attend, of course depending on virus situation. 🦠 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. 🎄
Old Dec 26, 2021, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Near certain Bronze for me sadly - so put me down there with the others. My excuse is that I am anticipating work travel to the US leaving NZ on 03 Jun, so the NZ Government 7 days self-isolation on return from Australia makes any planning for OZFest just wishful thinking.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
update from Air New Zealand

I too am "in" for 2022 - covid willing.
ANZ begins non stop flights YVR-AUK on May 1 - the day after NZ opens its borders to int'l travel. What happens if NZ extends its current travel restrictions? Evidently, we are protected on UA & ANZ flights from LAX!
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I too am "in" for 2022 - covid willing.
ANZ begins non stop flights YVR-AUK on May 1 - the day after NZ opens its borders to int'l travel. What happens if NZ extends its current travel restrictions? Evidently, we are protected on UA & ANZ flights from LAX!
That should be a good trip. A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper But may be hard to find a flying Kiwi in that part of the world.

Very possible NZ Govt will extend the ban on non citizen arrivals. Or are you transiting directly to AU without entering NZ?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Transiting directly. We have done NZ! To better understand your question, is it the case that FTs transiting NZ are allowed to do so w/o entering the country?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:49 am

Hi -

I am interested in going ... what do I need to do? Hotel?Fees?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

An unofficial reply from a frequent OzFest participant, pending an official reply from the organizers (which trumps this if there are any differences):

1. Post that your status is Platinum, Gold, or whatever (see post #2). The organizers will see your post and add you to the corresponding list there.
2. Get plane tickets, as award seats/discount fares may disappear.
3. Subscribe to this thread to get updates promptly. (Perhaps that should be #2 on the list.)
4. The organizers will pick a central hotel and post it here when they do. If it's too rich for your budget, which OzFest hotels can be, try to find a less expensive place nearby to make it easier to participate in activities based in that hotel or for which it is the pickup point. That shouldn't be difficult in Melbourne.
5. There's no OzFest registration fee as such. Costs depend on the activities you choose to participate in. Those, with the cost of each and sign-up deadlines if any, will also be posted here.

See you in May, I hope!

Last edited by Efrem; Jan 4, 2022 at 9:37 am
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:50 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Welcome to Oz Fest. Hope you can make it (subject to AU federal/state govts opening the international border)

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Have added you to post 2.

Further to the good post above "hotel central" tends to be the one most people book. Often a Hilton, but does vary city to city. Many Melbourne hotels are not far from each other. Normally by this time some people have indicated which hotel they have reserved. But these are abnormal times. Please look at post 4

Activities are pay at the event and for some we ask prepayment/commitment to attend. Welcome to attend as many/as few as you like. Please refer to post 3. We set up a web based reservation/payment link, normally in ~March, but this time will be later.

Also worth have a read of some past Oz Fest's (post 7)

Last edited by Oz Fest; Jan 4, 2022 at 6:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.