Reload this Page >

Monthly DC Happy Hours Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Monthly DC Happy Hours Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:17 pm

If I get there before 6:30, I try and grab one of the bar 'tables' near the bar, but not a true table. I think that 5 or 6 persons can squeeze in there. Just higher seats to fall from is the only difference that I can see.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The bar it is then...

Thanks headinclouds! I think my friend Joe & Tony will probably be there a little early as well. I'll cancel the FT reservation.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 3:45 pm

I'm going to try to attend, but sometimes getting out of work on thursday to be there at that time can be interesting.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 3:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
If I leave early in the afternoon I can sneak into VA and avoid the worst of its' non-driving residents. </font>
Ha, I always thought it was the people from MD that flunked drivers ed

Old Dec 10, 2003, 3:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by headinclouds:
If I get there before 6:30, I try and grab one of the bar 'tables' near the bar, but not a true table. I think that 5 or 6 persons can squeeze in there. Just higher seats to fall from is the only difference that I can see.</font>
Couple questions, is there parking near by? Anyone familar enough with the metro system to give me directions that way? I'll be coming from Sterling, VA, not sure where the nearist metro station is, but if you guys think that is quicker then fighting traffic to union station... I'm game.

Also, how will I have any idea who everyone is? Can everyone put on some funny FT hat or somthing?

How late do these happy hours tend to last?
Old Dec 10, 2003, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jasons2e:
Couple questions, is there parking near by? Anyone familar enough with the metro system to give me directions that way? I'll be coming from Sterling, VA, not sure where the nearist metro station is, but if you guys think that is quicker then fighting traffic to union station... I'm game.

Also, how will I have any idea who everyone is? Can everyone put on some funny FT hat or somthing?

How late do these happy hours tend to last?
</font>
If you drive in, there is a parking garage in Union Station -- you'll have to pay. If you metro, the stop is on the Red Line and it will drop you inside of Union Station, just follow the stairs/escalators up to the store level and look for the restaurant.

We usually eat dinner and break by 8 or 9ish, depending on who is there and where its located, etc.

If you wear the funny FT hat, we'll find you As far as recognizing the group, I'm not sure what time I'll make it since I'm driving down from Bethesda and have no idea of how long that'll take me (if anyone wants a ride, let me know -- it'll only be down you'll have to take metro back out). Look for the folks talking about flying/travel and you'll find the right group.

If someone can post what they're wearing tomorrow, it'll help Jason to find everyone.

Hope to see everyone tomorrow.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 5:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jasons2e:

</font>
I've got blonde hair and I'll wear a Christmas sweater. Otherwise, to find us you can just walk around and eavesdrop on peoples' conversations. We'll be the ones talking about points aand miles.

There is also free parking on the side streets if you don't mind walking a few blocks.

[This message has been edited by Alysia (edited Dec 10, 2003).]
Old Dec 10, 2003, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ha, I always thought it was the people from MD that flunked drivers ed </font>
Marylanders didn't flunk drivers ed - there's actually a more practical reason than that. Maryland has had annual budget cuts in its state funding of drivers ed for the past 45 years. Because of this, Marylanders are slowly getting worse and worse when it comes to driving.

Not to mention the fact that when you cross over to the Maryland side of the beltway, the lanes actually do get narrower. I live in Arlington & work in Bethesda and the other day I went out for lunch and got cut of twice and saw at least 9 driving violations. Thank god for the Potomac - because there are so few crossings, it helps keep the Marylanders on their side.

As for finding us at the Cap City, if you want to e-mail me, I can give you my cell number so if you don't find us, you can call us and we can find you and bring you to us.

[This message has been edited by bhatnasx (edited Dec 10, 2003).]
Old Dec 10, 2003, 7:40 pm

Jason2e, I recommend taking I-66 to the rosslyn area. Ample street parking, and a fairly quick trip on the blue/orange line to metro center, then upstairs on the red line 3 stops to union station. And about $2.50 RT for the metro. I remember from my driving days that DC at rush hour (now almost 7PM) is awful and I was doing a reverse commute. Look for the yellow flyertalk tag.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I live right near Ballston and sometimes take 495 to 66 to get home from Bethesda - a word of caution - even though its a reverse commute 66 almost always come to a complete standstill from the toll-road to ballston. You may want to try getting on 50 east - which has quite a few stoplights, but at least you feel like your moving.

If you want to be there at 6.30, you'll have to leave (I kid you not) at 5-ish. Tonight with the fog & all, I left my office in Bethesda at 5:10 and got home to Ballston at 6:30 and I took the Parkway - had I taken 66, it would have been much, much worse!
Old Dec 10, 2003, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Ha, I always thought it was the people from MD that flunked drivers ed

</font>
Hard to tell since MD requires Drivers Ed for a license and VA doesn't :P The budget cuts have forced us to have to pay for the course ourselves

As far as maneuvering the DC beltway on a weekday, at anytime, you should all understand my reluctance to drive to VA from Baltimore, since getting to Bethesda seems to have proved to be a difficulty ... so much so that MD has been eliminated as a Happy Hour option.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited Dec 11, 2003).]
Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:36 am

Do you guys ever do Old Dominion for happy hour?
http://www.olddominion.com

It is near IAD, and the beer is quite good.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think that Old Domionion was suggested for one of Joh & Oz's passings through DC, but I think we ended up at Joe's Crab Shack. That may be a good option for the 1/8/04 Happy Hour since Oz & Joh will be out near IAD.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It was good to see everyone tonight & swap stories and ideas. Sorry for missing a good hour or so of the happy hour - I finally got Amtrak to accept the non-transferrable vouchers for a ticket in another person's name. It was long & annoying, but it finally worked out.

Next dinners are planned for 12/22 at Reston Town Center (see first page) and 1/8's dinner was suggested to be at Old Dominion Brewery near IAD and dhacker agreed with the suggestion of February's Happy Hour at the Doubletree Crystal City at the revolving rooftop restaurant overlooking the Pentagon & National Airport. As we usually meet on Thursdays, that looks like it will be either 2/5, 2/12, or 2/19. I myself am partial to 2/5 or 2/19 as 2/12 is the beginning of a 3-day Presidents weekend (and Valentine's Day) - I'm sure there will be some mileage running planned for those dates & also my sister's getting married in NY so I may or may not be around for that. I personally prefer 2/19 myself, but 2/5 would work as well. Let me know!
Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bhatnasx:

I think that Old Domionion was suggested for one of Joh & Oz's passings through DC, but I think we ended up at Joe's Crab Shack. That may be a good option for the 1/8/04 Happy Hour since Oz & Joh will be out near IAD. </font>
Sounds great to us for Thursday January 8. gnagnet I recall was very positive and complimentary about Old Dominion for a dinner? As always we are happy to follow the expert local advice - wherever you guys prefer.

To us anyway, it is the wonderful company in DC, not the venue that counts. You folks are THE most organised and friendly Flyertalkers from any region of the USA.

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.