Reload this Page >

Who we all are

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:37 pm

Went to Hong Kong in 1972 and since then have been to Europe every 2-3 weeks, Asia quarterly, Australia twice annually, with additional trips to Africa and South America.
Tips to frustrated traveler:
Make traveling yours, travel light, if it doesn't go with you on the plane then it doesn't go, pack smartly, explore sites and cities , see different perspectives and different cultures, i have been to museums in over 50 countries and many have early evening hours( recently wonderful Ethnographic museum in Mexico City) explore local food (with care) , travel with a sense of discovery, drink lightly, exercise daily, rent a bike, boat, roller blades , skis ( last year did a full day bike ride on a weekend in Bangkok with a local person recommended by a bike club-he didn't speak a word of English and we had a blast covering almost 40 miles in 8 hours, dont cop out because of age -I am 64 and have been on the road for close to 42 years , dont stay stuck in the lobby of an American hotel, read a book on local history, hire a private guide-Did so In Kyoto 3 weeks back and it was a great afternoon,often tell my business associates to take me to dinner where they woudl take their families, it aint fancy but boy have i had great experiences, keep an open mind, down load lectures-listen while waiting in lines or in taxi or exercising- I am on lecture #21 by Prof Lyod Kraemer on European Thought and Culture and listed at least 30-60 minutes a day while exercising or in transit-be cool, roll with the punches, dont get frustrated-travel at times can really suck-but take it in stride and make it yours and always go with a positive attitude, a spring in your step, and make it a learning experience-78 countries, 100's of cities, fabulous experiences , awesome food, great friends-I have been blessed
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:45 pm

I've been a road warrior for just a hair of 10 years. I think all of those, I was out for at least 300 days. For 7 of the years my girlfriend worked with me, and we towed a large fifth wheel everywhere. I have RV park rewards like most of you have hotel rewards. She recently wanted to actually see our house some, and took a job just in our office.

Since then, I'm still driving, but now in hotels all the time. I'm also really close to a new job, that will get me a travel schedule that's much more normal (4-5 days at a time) so, I found you guys while researching suitcases and trying to pick a new one that's more appropriate for that type of travel.

It's been a big adjustment going from towing a house with your everywhere...to living out of the bags in your truck. Now I'm gearing up for the adjustment of needing smaller bags.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: drivers guild
Post New member

Hi Everyone, My name is Fred and I 'am an environmentalist who has a passion for travelling. I am here to learn and meet people. I always enjoy meaningful conversation.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Hi Fred! Welcome to FT.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Welcome, Fred. You've come to the right place.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Just realized I never participated in a welcome thread since I have been here. So here is a bit about me.

Name: John

I travel about once per year for work for a conference, but the rest of my travel is leasure and I like it that way. Prefer to fly on my own terms rather than because I have to. Try to make about 4-6 leasure trips a year, since next spring my student loans will be all paid off looking to be able to take a few more.

My leasure travel is to US Soccer games and New Mexico State volleyball games. Had my first leasure flight by myself in June 2011 to Los Angeles to see USA vs Mexico in the rose bowl, so my flying career is basically 3 years old. Had two flights in my life previous to that. Since then have been to Columbus Ohio twice, Kansas City, New York, and Mexico City for soccer games. Been to Honolulu and Phoenix for volleyball games, and this fall have some volleyball trips lined up to Seattle, Salt Lake City, and Phoenix, the flights are all paid for by my 50k point signup bonus from the Chase Southwest visa, and next month I will app for the barclaycard Arrival to cover the hotels. Since joining 3 years ago I definitely caught the miles and points fever. Feels like a great accomplishment to have trips to 3 cities, all flights and hotels paid for with points.

Then perhaps my biggest trip yet. this fall going to the USA vs Ireland game in Dublin on November 18th, but before that going to swing by London on the 15th to catch the England game at Wembley. Then next year hopefully if there are no changes to the AAdvantage program and we can combine US and AA miles I can go for that Qantas F award. Hoping to go to Brisbane, but connect in Sydney or Melbourne, or maybe see Perth or Alice Springs, so many possibilities.

This message board community the last 3 years has turned me from the typical once a year casual traveler, to someone addicted to miles and points. Thanks guys! ^
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, United, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hertz, Budget, National
I'm Mike and live in the St. Louis area, but often spend time at the Lake of the Ozarks. Also spend some time in my home town of Gettysburg, PA, where we will eventually retire in about 5 years.

I travel for business and personal, so I'm involved with a lot of programs. About 75% of my business travel is in the Midwest, but also to other places like Boston, Vegas, DC, Orlando, etc. Personal travel is usually Vegas, PA, Mexico, Caribbean, and, this Fall, France and Great Britain.

I just found out about Flyer Talk from another board, Tug2.net. I look forward to checking out more threads on this board.

Mike
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:55 am

Hi there! I'm newish to the forums (lurker for a long while). I'm from Sarasota, FL.

As far as traveling, I'm a piker compared to most of you. We have two kiddos who are getting to the age where they're appreciating seeing different parts of the country. We have aspirations to visit friends on Kauai next year.

It's good to be here and I greatly appreciate everyone sharing their wisdom!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: Qantas, United Mileage Plus
Hi all.

I've been a member for, um, *whispers embarrassedly* 4 years.

4 years! Where did that time go?

And in all that time I've not introduced myself. Mind you, I've only ever made 4 posts (the mathematically inclined amongst you will note that averages out at 1 post a year). In fact it had been so long since the last one, that until I came to ask a question tonight I had completely forgotten I'd posted at all.

I'm an ex-pat Kiwi, recently made British, who travelled pretty much non-stop for business related trips for 8 years, joined FT, promptly stopped travelling due to illness, and so stopped reading FT.

These days the occasional trips undertaken are to see family in Oz, but the other sort of illness, the travel bug, is getting the better of me and asking me to wander away again, so I'm making plans.

When not travelling, or not not travelling, I work at libraries. Other priorities are politics, perfume and jewellery.

There's an overwhelming amount of info on FT. Give me another 4 years and I might just have worked out where everything is
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
Hey ya, I am a rock singer recently joined FT living in London but originally from Canada. Flying a lot these days into the Continent (Europe...as i have learned) and really trying to become savvy at this. Naturally FT is the place to come .. grovel grovel. I have kids growing up at an alarming rate and hopefully a lot more decent travel ahead. Really apreciate the posts and the charm. Seriously wanna keep my BA Exec card going up so... very interested in tier point runs. also it takes the guess work out of "where to go now" type questions. love music and comedy Dogs & Cats and having a laugh. so Hello!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 am

Hi I'm new and I want to say "hello" to everyone ...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:11 am

ahh......jawad...... was leaving in dubai just came back to pakistan 2 weeks ago thats it and yeah i am a freelancer
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:31 pm

Right, first post, here we go...

Name: Rich

By day I run a chemical manufacturing company called ReAgent. I have a marketing background, created numerous websites including chemicals.co.uk and reagent.co.uk. I live in Chester, UK.

Been collecting miles and points for about 5 years, focus mainly on Avios and hotel programs (IHG, HH, CC). Travel mainly for pleasure, don't travel much for work, however this looks likely to change as my company is beginning to spread its' tentacles overseas.

Just want to say a massive THANK YOU to to the community at large for all the information I have gleaned from these forums ^

Last edited by Huddo; Feb 21, 2019 at 2:55 am
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:19 pm

Guess I should "properly" introduce myself before I get too high in the post count/account age.

Name: Liz

I'm a chemical engineering grad student pursuing my PhD at UCSB, and most of my work is in theory. I first found out about MS while in my undergrad years (a small school in Pasadena) as somma' my friends had gotten into it. Didn't really care for it myself until I realized that grad school offers this awkward combination of incredible schedule flexibility (esp. as a theorist) and absolutely no disposable income. As one of my friends put it, "double your income with this one easy trick, discovered by a mom!", and now I'm hooked. Doing all of the tracking, optimization, research, etc appeals to me as a fun aside when I'm sick of thinking about research but my brain refuses to "turn off".

Anyway, now I'm taking impromptu vacations and living an inexpensive but exciting life, so maybe I'll see somma' ya'll around!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: SK Diamond
Hi, I'm FlightCancelled. Fairly new to the world of collecting points, but I feel that I'm already getting experienced. It's only one year since I realized that "hey, I can earn points"! A couple of months later I was going on daytrips all around Europe. I went to Washington D.C. (from Bergen in Norway) on a weekend trip in April and went three times to Athens (from Oslo in Norway) in one week. Point challenges and 3x points-routes are scary stuff. Of course I also travel for leisure every now and then, where it's either football trips (soccer for you americans) or the countries around the Mediterranean Sea that are the most popular.

Now I am moving to Grand Forks, North Dakota to start my education as an Air Traffic Controller for the Norwegian company Avinor (Avinor AS is a state-owned limited company that operates most of the civil airports in Norway. The Norwegian state, via the Norwegian Ministry of Transport and Communications, controls 100 percent of the share capital. Source: Wikipedia). Really happy to be one out of the 25 who got in, of around 700 applicants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.