Reload this Page >

Who we all are

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 1999, 7:39 pm

I've been a bit vocal in the 26 days since I registered on F-T, and hope I've added to the groups mission. Here is my bio:

Born in the Baltimore area, spent most of my life there eating steamed crabs, oysters and all types of Chesapeake Bay seafood. After doing an Army Reserve stint after school, got a sales job with a chemical company and never looked back. Have traveled the Orient, a little bit of Europe and tons of US & Canada. Left MD for a job in NJ (Mt. Laurel)and lived right behind NFL Films HQ. Spent lots of time in PHL eating soft pretzels with mustard & Jim's & Geno's cheesesteaks; played a lot of darts with Aussie & Brit pals at the Dickens Inn on Headhouse Square.
Took an offer in PDX 4 yrs ago with a how-to-book publisher as Natl. Sales Mgr.
Currently with a $100Mil magazine publishing co. as Key Acct. Sales Mgr, but work from home office in Portland area. We publish 60+ different magazines each month. Re-married for 7 years to a lovely lady from Winnipeg, who is a writer and business trainer. She does free-lance work, traveling all over the world doing seminars, as well as writing for 3-4 of the magazines that my company publishes. We have 3 cats (Angel, Barney and Cassidy) and a Sheltie named Buddy (got him long before Clinton got his dog). Have a stepson living here in PDX & stepdaughter in YVR. My son & daughter live in Maryland.

Looking forward to meeting many of you at the SEA & PHL get-togethers...

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 07-27-1999).]
Old Jul 27, 1999, 8:02 pm

Alright, here is little old me
I was born in Stuttgart, Germany where I lived for most of my life and studied in general, and specifically foreign languages in different European schools. At age 15 I had to move to the States and hated it. But then I realized what a great country this is! So now I am going to the University of Colorado here in Colorado Springs, where I will get a BA in Communications next spring . I am working on my EMT certification as well, because firefighting really caught my fancy. I also found my future husband here, and a great job (can you guess?).
Frequent flyer miles are of course important because Germany (family) is an ocean away.
And in the meantime I have been trying to learn and smile as much as I can

[This message has been edited by dimples (edited 07-27-1999).]
Old Jul 27, 1999, 8:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Thanks dimples (Inside Flyer organization n'est-ce pas?) and shadow. Any other takers?
Old Jul 27, 1999, 8:22 pm

Well for starts let me say again how helpful you all have been. I am a confessed "lurker" with only one other message.

My husband and I have done quite a bit of traveling mostly with American. We have a small manufacturing business in Sarasota Florida which gives us an excuse to travel and call on customers.

Our children are grown and we enjoy our six grandchildren whenever we are in town.
Old Jul 27, 1999, 8:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Welcome to the board
Old Jul 27, 1999, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Hey bokich, congrats on reaching member. You are already light years ahead of me with that great airport list. Thank you, thank you, thank you. (Hit him/her up (via e-mail) for a copy it is great!!!!!!!!!!

Scott and Shadow. Thank you for telling your stories and welcome to my fellow Washingtonians. When I watch the weather channel during weeks like this I remember why I live here. (Also think about it a lot in the winter. ) Hope you guys show up for at least part of the Seattle Get Together. (I also fly to Portland almost every Wednesday and other days on demand).

Dimples, Doesn't sound like you have a strong Northwest background, but don't worry. In a heart beat we adopt and adore folks who laugh and/or smile enough to show their dimples. As Bob Barker says, "COME ON DOWN!!!"

I love these posts and heartily invite everyone to join in. Getting to know Webflyers and actually meeting them is too cool. Folks who fly this much are always either totally terrificly briliant and wonderful enough to be amazing, or completly crazy and wonderful enough to be entertaining, or just plain wonderful and fun....and in all cases extremely nice. Join in!!

It's a good place to be.
Old Jul 28, 1999, 12:22 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I was born in LA, a real CA native. One of our houses is now under LAX! When I was 10 we moved to Oakland, then a year later to Phila. We ate a lot of cheesesteaks but at Luigi's in Willow Grove. I finally had one at Geno's and Pat's about 2 yrs ago on a trip to show our 16 yr old daughter the old haunts. Luigi's was better! Also you could sit down...

Left Philly for CA in 1962, settled in San Jose. Boom times - both of us at Lockheed. I worked as a programmer, then later in real estate, finally on city council in Saratoga.

I spent 1976 to 1978 in Vancouver, shopping like all the rest of the Canadians in Bellingham, WA. I became a smuggler. There, I confessed. We would be so exhausted from our smuggling all day that we would have to go out to dinner - thereby eating our profits for the day! I lived in the San Fernando Valley which is where I sold real estate but moved to N CA in 1979. After 19 yrs in Saratoga, have moved to bucolic Morgan Hill, south Silicon Valley.

We have 3 grown, married kids (with grandchildren for us), and one caboose due to graduate HS yr 2000. Then my husband will retire and we will be off for parts unknown. He is a marketing mgr for Varian Medical and travels - lots of FF miles which I manage. Our claim to fame: 7 continents and all 4 oceans.
Old Jul 28, 1999, 8:34 am

I've been lurking for about three weeks now and have found the board to be very helpful and informative. This place reminds me of the forums back in the "good old days" of Compuserve. Very cozy, with just the right s/n ratio.

I live in suburban Atlanta, GA with my wife and 2 kids. I am a marketing executive with a medium sized specialty chemical manufacturer focused primarily on the pulp and paper industry. I was not a frequent traveler until about a year ago and am just now starting to learn the tricks of the trade. I now fly fairly often, maybe 60-70 legs year, mostly to areas with large concentrations of paper mills. Because of this, I fly THROUGH a lot of large hubs on my way to a final destination at some podunk junction in the hinterlands of N. America. For instance, Ive flown to YYZ 8 or 10 time in the last three years, but it was only last month that I got to leave the airport in anything but an airplane. (What a nice town!) I love seeing the country, but hate the time away from the family. (If you click on the info icon above, youll find a link to my personal homepage where you can meet my kids and see how easy they are to miss! My interests/hobbies are pretty well covered as well.)

Ive lived in and around ATL most of my life (26 out of 35 years) and continuously for the last 21 years. It used to be an OK place to live, but Im tired of the traffic, the noise, the pollution, and the overall speed of life here. Wed move away in a heartbeat for the right opportunity.

Im mostly a lurker now, but look forward to participating here.

Best,

JB
Old Jul 28, 1999, 9:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
Welcome JB, don't be a stranger to the boards as everyone has great inputs and personnel insights that some of us overlook. Don't just be a lurker , also post some of those exasperating podunk (as you called em) trips in the itinerary's as you never know when another FTer is around, either in an airport or even in Atlanta for a Brave's game.

Cheers Scott
Old Jul 28, 1999, 9:14 am

Thanks for th welcome Scott! I will try to post as much as I can, especially when I have something to contribute.

My schedules change so much from day to day, so it's hard to know where I'm going to be. I lucked out this week and got a much needed full week in the office. So far, next month looks like:

8/3 ATL-CVG-ATW
8/5 ATW-CVG-ATL

8/9-10 Calhoun, TN (by car)

8/23 ATL-PHL-MDT-PHL-ATL (a day from hell)
8/24-27 ATL-STL or IAH.
8/30-9/3 ATL-PDX

All subject to change at a moments notice. Somewhere in there I need to take some vacation, too!

Old Jul 28, 1999, 10:22 am
Commander Catcop

Welcome Boatman and remember that there are no rules in how much you can contribute or when, every little bit helps.

And nice website by the way.

Old Jul 28, 1999, 10:40 am
bryan at webflyer

boatman: looks like we'll narrowly miss you at the Philly get-together on the 23rd at the Dock Street Brewery. Since you note that your plans may change, if they do so in a way that permits you to meet with us (Burkey, Shadow, DjLawman[?] and me) we're meeting at 7:00 pm.

One of these days I will post here, too.

[This message has been edited by bryan at webflyer (edited 07-28-1999).]

Old Jul 28, 1999, 11:16 am

BlondeBomber and Punki:

[This message has been edited by dimples (edited 07-28-1999).]
Old Jul 28, 1999, 7:26 pm

welcome, boatman...look forward to hearing more from you. I just posted my first trip report, it's easy.

bokich, thanks again for the list. It came through just fine as an attachment.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 07-28-1999).]
Old Jul 29, 1999, 1:08 pm

Welcome Scott the flier, boatman, shadow (we'll meet in pdx next time!), dimples and karen2! Nice to have you aboard.

aka Bob

------------------
Mahalo mini-me!
http://www.hotshirts.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.