Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 1999, 2:09 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
thank you Nanook - I love it.
Old Aug 21, 1999, 2:56 am

Nanook: A lovely tale. Thank you for sharing.
Old Aug 21, 1999, 9:40 am

Hi, everybody. My name is Jim, and I live in southern Rhode Island with my wife and 5 year old daughter. We are expecting another child in November.

I am currently designing control systems for a small company specializing in machinery for the extrusion industry. The job requires me to travel domestically and internationally. I have been "lurking" for a few months, but only started posting recently.

Old Aug 21, 1999, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Well, FlierLie, welcome. This is a great place so post away.
If we don't hear much from you in November, we'll know why now.
Old Aug 21, 1999, 9:45 pm

Welcome to F-T, FlierLie...

Is your screen name a play on words for your golf game??
Old Aug 22, 1999, 5:42 am

Thank you, shadow, and yes it is a golf term I am referring to. I figured I would combine two of my interests, travel and golf for my screen name. The name doesn't mean I am a liar. (Well, maybe occasionally about my golf score.)
Old Aug 22, 1999, 6:36 am

Hi Jim/FlierLie and welcome.

It's nice to have you around
Old Aug 22, 1999, 8:26 am

Nanook - thanks for the great story.
Old Aug 22, 1999, 8:29 pm

Welcome FlierLie

And thanks to Nanook for the love story

------------------
Wishing you safe journeys, JayFly
Old Aug 22, 1999, 9:10 pm

I don't remember if I posted an introduction on one of the earlier two threads, so I'll just give a quick run down.

I'm 33. Born in Boston, raised in the Peoples' Republic of Cambridge. Moved to Florence, MA (about 30 minutes North of Springfield, MA).

I work in a very small company (7 people). We do accounting software for the Concrete Ready-Mix industry (talk about a niche market!). I travel about once a month, within the US only.

I have a terrific wife (Teresa), 3 incredible kids (Caitlin (4), Victoria (2) and Patrick (1)), and a loyal yet loopy dog (Kismet).

Baseball is my passion. I've lived and died with the Red Sox (not much of a living!) for as long as I can remember. I've been involved in our town's Little League program since 1991, serving in various positions, including President.

I envy those who get to stay in "real" hotels on the road. I fly coach, rent a Geo Metro and sleep in a Motel 6.

I've been on this board since about April(?). It has been a terrific resource. Thanks to all the great tips, I've accrued over 100,000 miles in CO with only about 9,000 in actual flight-miles!

To pun off my signature line, "Be seeing you." (If you know where the signature line comes from, you'll understand).

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Aug 22, 1999, 9:31 pm

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
You are, Number 6
Old Aug 22, 1999, 10:11 pm

Jon, have you ever gone to the World of Concrete Convention in Vegas?

I'm not part of that industry, but have been in LV twice while that thing was going on. Those guys are nuts...
Old Aug 23, 1999, 11:00 am

I haven't been to World of Concrete, but will be going in the future.

My boss has decided that I am going to co-pilot our booth at World of Concrete and ConAgg (Orlando, FL).

I've heard all the stories though.

The thing to remember is for a lot of those folks, this is their own vacation. Most concrete plants are mom and pop operations. Dad dispatches, Junior is a driver and Mom handles the bookkeeping. In fact, one of our brouchures is called "Computer Systems Saves Marriage", based on a true story from one of our customers who saw their business expand so quickly that dad worked 5AM-6PM dispatching while mom worked 7PM-2AM doing the books (they had a young child at the time and couldn't both go to work).

While it is hard to replace someone, it is easier during the slow season (Jan/Feb).

I must say that these are among the nicest people I have met. Most took over the business from their parents. Some are 3 and even 4 generations old. Most of them started shortly after WWII, when the building boom started.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Aug 28, 1999, 5:47 pm

Hi,
I am Zach and I am ten years old. I have traveled to 11 countries and I have no clue how many states. I am a Premier member with United and I really like to fly first class. I also have a lot of Hilton points that I got by transferring miles from other airlines. I really like to travel and I know I'm really lucky.
I am interested in theater and theater technics. I am curently a DJ/student. You can visit my web page at http://members.home.net/theaterwiz/Turtle.html If you visit my page, make sure and sign my guestbook.

------------------
Theaterwiz

[This message has been edited by twiz (edited 08-29-1999).]

[This message has been edited by twiz (edited 08-29-1999).]
Old Aug 28, 1999, 7:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Welcome twiz -- you definitely must be the youngest contributor, glad to see that hasn't scared you off!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.