Wiki Posts
Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 1999, 3:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Derek,

Nice to see another free marketer on the boards. It's probably too late apply, but for the ultimate in pro free-market education there is U of Chicago. Personally, I would have died and gone to heave to have studied with Austrian school profs had I know about it when I was studying econ.

Read much Rand?

Cheers,

Samantha
Old Dec 18, 1999, 4:46 pm

deleted

Last edited by dflyer829; Apr 3, 2009 at 11:09 am
Old Dec 18, 1999, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond . www.chicagosemianrs.org
Shadow - LI Ice Teas don't count as dark to me either. I will scarf those down in a heart beat. Don't forget about the MSY meeting early next year. I have a performance that week but am going to try and catch a late flight to get in Saturday night for that schindig.

BlondeBomber - Somewhere along the line I was blessed with a knowledge of meeting people and playing with groups a long way away from home. That is where my flying started and has continued since. I still look back and say....."annual salary=this much travelling.....how does that work?" The truth is that I am as poor as the next musician but at least I am a well travelled one.

Good to meet all of you.
Old Dec 19, 1999, 5:54 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic
Hi everyone. Here's a liitle about me.
I'm 48, and live with my wife and 3 boys (16,14,12) just south of Bristol, UK. I was born and brought up in the north of England (Yorkshire).
I work for one of the 'big 5' accounting firms, and much of my work is with multi-national companies. I spend quite a lot of time helping with corporate acquisitions.
Most of my travel is to the US (5 business trips there so far this year). Funny how, even with 'europeanisation', so many UK companies look west when it comes to business development.
My main hobby is playing guitar, which I've done for many years. I lead the contemporary music group in my church, and also play in a Christian rock band. My eldest son sings, and my yongest plays percussion, so when we want to we can make music (well we think it's music!) Otherwise I'll be found walking our 'Heinz 57' dog, Max, who's been part of the family for 2 years since he came from the local dog's home.
Nearly all my travel is with BA. I'm Silver status, and also a member of Virgin's Flying Club.
My next trip to the US is in January. Such a good time of year to visit Southern California from the UK!

Martin
Old Dec 19, 1999, 1:10 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
Welcome martin!!

shadow, ChrisMoss7...LI teas are made with clear... 1/2 shot gin, 1/2 shot vodka, 1/2 shot light rum, and 1/2 shot triple sec (although some people substitute tequila and rose's lime for the triple sec)and the coloring is a splash of pepsi!
Old Dec 19, 1999, 2:26 pm
In Memoriam

Derek: you have very correctly described the difference between UofC and NU econ-bus, incl

MM and MBA programs. It was not always so; 20 years ago (and earlier) UofC was much more practical and NU just becoming one of the best, now the best (Kellogg) by some rankings. You sure have a blue ribbon group listed and this old fellow wishes you all the best in your pursuit of the best.

Samantha: if you come to UofCLaw, you will find profs still teaching, or, if retired, taking a few pupils, who studied with Hayek,

von Mieses, Friedman, and others from the Austrian School. That's in econ; bus school is what I referred to above.
Old Dec 19, 1999, 8:37 pm

Essxjay:

"Died and gone to heave"?

Sounds like a WHOLE lot of college parties I went to.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

Old Dec 20, 1999, 9:31 pm

TravelWeary::: We don't have a too much of a dress code now. We can pretty much wear what we want. They don't really like you to wear shorts or anything too revealing, but jeans or whatever. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.
Not very many people dress up, that's for sure, it is very casual.

------------------
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments, while others stay awake and achieve them.
Old Dec 20, 1999, 9:32 pm

TravelWeary::: We don't have too much of a dress code now. We can pretty much wear what we want. They don't really like you to wear shorts or anything too revealing, but jeans or whatever.
Not very many people dress up, that's for sure, it is very casual.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.

------------------
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments, while others stay awake and achieve them.
Old Dec 20, 1999, 9:58 pm

If you are wondering why I have 2 posts that are basically the same, I tried to stop the first one before it posted because there was a typo, but oh well, I was too slow.

Anyway.........
GK:
I travel basically the same way that you do, or at least I used to....now I get to go home every 2 weeks. I still live out of a suitcase though. Like I said earlier, all of my things are in boxes at my parents house. When I do get to go home, it is usually only for a day or so, so I never unpack my suitcase. Most of my friends think it is a glamorous job, but it is definitely not. It used to be fun and exciting but now it is starting to get tiresome and is wearing me out. Since I am only 25, I can't let it get the best of me. I hope to be moving on to something different before it starts to ruin my love for travel. Anyway, I am glad to know that there is someone else out there that experiences the same lifestyle that I do. You get to go to more international places than I do and I am a little jealous. Best of luck in your many travels.

------------------
Old Dec 21, 1999, 1:18 am
Original Member

Jon Toner, LOL
Old Dec 21, 1999, 11:40 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Hi. I am Barry Rubin. My first official FT interaction was the Hawaiin Party In Paradise, and I'm wondering, aren't we supposed to have a party once a month in a different exotic local? I mean, where do all my membership dues go to anyway?

I'm a 41 year-old criminologist. I have a small company (30-odd employees) that contracts with the California Dept. of Corrections and Fed. Bureau of Prisons to run community correctional centers (hence jailer, so anointed by cousin craig6z). I was also involved in a start-up electronic house arrest firm, since sold. I teach criminology now and again and have a side-practice of writing private probation reports. I always have a nice cell available for FT members with substance abuse issues.

Lived in England for a couple of years, and did my graduate work at Cambridge. Don't travel extensively for business, more for pleasure. Most of my frequent flyer awards have been on my cousin's mileage dime: Kenya, Turkey, Thailand, India, Nepal. Craig6z's wife refuses to fly. We've parlayed her phobia into some great trips.

I met my Chinese-American, travel-loving wife in Europe in the late 70's. We took quasi-separate honeymoons. After Ireland I went back home to work, and she headed to England. She going solo to France this summer. We have a nine year old daughter named Emily, Twoey the cat (named after the plant in Little Shop of Horrors), a rabbit, and a dog all in an old (by Long Beach, California standards) house. Emily loves to travel, and is very adaptable to foreign places.

I collect art a little, mostly Anoro and Oleg Zhivetin, and am moving into Chinese folk art. Because of the battered Australian $, I was able to pick up a Charles Blackman last year while in Sydney. And, while I consider myself somewhat of an athlete, my athletic feats are a little thin: an unassisted triple play on a team of Brits who didn't understand the significance ("Oh Bloody Hell, side out"), and I beat the reigning US Handball champion last time we played--he was 13 at the time. I enjoy cross-country skiing and scuba diving is a new passion, even though I swim like a stone.

I tend to be wordy. Bye.
Old Dec 21, 1999, 2:07 pm
Original Member

I always have a nice cell available for FT members with substance abuse issues.
Does the shamless hording of frequent flyer miles count? There'd better be a lot of room at the inn, that's all I can say.

Criminology is fascinating to me. I've always wanted to take a course in forensic photography but where do you find such a beast? Certainly not at Podunk Community College.

The outsourcing of corrections is also very interesting to me. I'll email you privately.
Old Dec 21, 1999, 3:18 pm

Hi,
This is my first post. I travel over 40 weeks per year as a professional speaker. I have been in 47 states and 21 countries. At age 57 I am growing weary of travel, but not speaking. I live in southern New Jersey, just across the river from Philadelphia, therefore, US Airways, gets most of my biz but I flew on 13 different airlines this year. I spend over 220 nights per year in hotels. I never have a choice. I go where my clients have there meeting. We had a cat, but he liked the heat under my Vette! My wife and I enjoyed three weeks in England, Scotland and Ireland in Sept 99. The only cost was food. Rewards did the rest. Yeah!
Peace and NightNite.
Old Dec 21, 1999, 5:22 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
I have been a lurker on Flyertalk for awhile, and have found it helpful. I retired recently from disaster response work for the Lutheran Church... so travel is all personal now. My wife and I are just back from the second trip to Germany this year... the concerts and Christmas markets in Leipzig and Dresden.

I have been flying mostly Northwest since before the Republic merger, when they had the "segment" system. I have 1,350,000 air miles with them... more than 3,200,000 program miles... and with retirement am about to go from platinum (about 120,000 a year) to silver ( Just 26,000 miles this year). I am also a Marriott platinum- for one more year, anyway.

Of course, I have flown more than one airline. Over the years each of the ones I have flown has had both "up" years and "down" years. I personally have found Northwest better than most of the Flyertalkers seem to consider it... and on this most recent trip noticed significant improvements in service.

I appreciate the tips, reports and insights of Flyertalk, and the availability of this way of communicating with each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.