Reload this Page >

Chicago Seminars October 11-13th, 2013-Registration SOLD OUT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars October 11-13th, 2013-Registration SOLD OUT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:34 am

if we register & unable to attend either voluntarily or in-v, will we get the conf materials ( presentation,handouts..if any) shipped to us? If not, is this a worthy suggestion? kinda like noshow for a pre-paid hotel stay where you still get pts.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ddjen11
kinda like noshow for a pre-paid hotel stay where you still get pts.
I'll let the organizers address the part about shipping handouts (although I don't ever recall there being handouts). But just wanted to comment that I've never gotten points on a prepaid no-show. Wish the hotels would do that!

Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by ddjen11
if we register & unable to attend either voluntarily or in-v, will we get the conf materials ( presentation,handouts..if any) shipped to us? If not, is this a worthy suggestion? kinda like noshow for a pre-paid hotel stay where you still get pts.
There are no handouts / takeaways.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I signed up last night and this thing is over 35% full at the moment..and they tell me the hotel 50% of the rooms are sold out..

Hotel was sold out before the seminar was sold out last year...

I know last year they were turning people away from the show, and no hotel rooms were to be found.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:43 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by satman40
We could have a drawing for 300 $75.00 Gift Cards, at the end of the event...

And send 300 particiapants home happier..

Charity begins at Home...
Actually they do have door prizes. So some people do get some gift cards. Charity can begin at home but extend wider. I am totally fine with that.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Does it matter? The organizers of this conference have come up with their registration procedures. What other conferences do isn't really relevant to what the organizers of this conference have chosen.

People can choose to attend if they think the conference will be of good value to them & they're ok w/ the registration procedures. If they don't think the conference will be of value to them and/or the registration procedure bothers them that much, then of course they can take a pass.

Cheers.
+1. Some people seem to get so worked up about things. Take it at face value. If you feel it is going to be of value to you, register and attend. If not, fine. Someone else will benefit from that person's absence.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I attended the Chicago seminars in 2010, 2011 and 2012. I just registered for 2013.

My opinion on the $20 transfer fee for 2013. Very GENEROUS of the organizers!!!^^ I was healthy for 2010, had cancer in 2011 and 2012 (and may still have cancer by Oct 2013 if my 2nd chemo doesn't lick it this time). I took chances in 2011 and 2012 that I would likely not attend due to medical reasons and no refunds! I felt well enough to attend both in 2011 & 2012. In 2012, I was pretty weak but the Dr cleared me days before the seminars to fly from Calif & attend the Seminars. ^^

For this year, I will book refundable air (SWA)/hotel (award) due to my medical situation for 2013. The $20 transfer fee is "icing" on the cake in reducing my costs if I need to cancel.

I have got so much out of seminars the past few years and I am looking forward to learning more new stuff this year!!!

Bottom line: Contrary to some previous posts, I applaud the organizers for introducing a "transfer" option where the fees go to charity. ^ The organizers will have alot of extra work doing the transfers and I applaud the organizers for putting in the extra time processing the transfers. ^
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by chemist661
I attended the Chicago seminars in 2010, 2011 and 2012. I just registered for 2013.

My opinion on the $20 transfer fee for 2013. Very GENEROUS of the organizers!!!^^ I was healthy for 2010, had cancer in 2011 and 2012 (and may still have cancer by Oct 2013 if my 2nd chemo doesn't lick it this time). I took chances in 2011 and 2012 that I would likely not attend due to medical reasons and no refunds! I felt well enough to attend both in 2011 & 2012. In 2012, I was pretty weak but the Dr cleared me days before the seminars to fly from Calif & attend the Seminars. ^^

For this year, I will book refundable air (SWA)/hotel (award) due to my medical situation for 2013. The $20 transfer fee is "icing" on the cake in reducing my costs if I need to cancel.

I have got so much out of seminars the past few years and I am looking forward to learning more new stuff this year!!!

Bottom line: Contrary to some previous posts, I applaud the organizers for introducing a "transfer" option where the fees go to charity. ^ The organizers will have alot of extra work doing the transfers and I applaud the organizers for putting in the extra time processing the transfers. ^
Chemist661. So glad you are attending this year. AGAIN ! it was nice meeting you last time...hope we can meet again.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by hdawg
Couple of things:

1) This is the first year transfers are offered. If you'd prefer we can easily go back to no transfers ... that's a lot easier.
2) The $20 charge (which is being passed 100% to the donations we make to charity after the event) is purely because I've got to do a few manual things to make sure we stay compliant with payment, registration, and legal concerns.
Watch out Howie, if you do that he's going to start crying about losing $85 as opposed to just $20
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by hdawg
... and my friends say I don't like sports. This game is my sport! ^
^^
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:29 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 2 Million Mile Flyer, LifeTime Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
We are pleased to announce that the Chicago Seminars will again be held the weekend of October 11th-13th at the Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village, Illinois. There are several changes including transferable registrations and more sessions with a wider variety of topics this year.

Confirmed Speakers to date are:

Brian Kelly, the PointsGuy
Ben Schlappig from One Mile at a Time
Summer our MommyPoints
Daraius Dubash Mr. Million Mile Secrets
Our Mad Scientist Greg the Frequent Miler
Rene from Delta Points
Captain Denny Flanagan
Stefan of Rapid Travel Chai fame and offbeat adventures
Mr Steve Belkin "Beaubo the Contrarian"
Hans Mast of Shopping Portal Fame
Marshall Jackson on Cruising
John Nielson on Three Trips for Two
Bikeguy with Rookie Bootcamp
Howie Rappaport with Managing Family accounts
Cara Kretz ITASoftware by Google
John Lopinto of ExpertFlyer
Cliff Stratton with Computer Help for all
Rick Ingersoll the Frugal Travel Guy

We will be holding sessions from Friday late afternoon until Sunday at 4 PM so you can catch the last bank of flights home from O'Hare.

This event is an all volunteer event put on by members of the community for the members of the community. All excess proceeds after covering expenses are given to charity.

Our event is the ONLY not for profit event of its kind with registration at only $85 per person which includes lunch and coffee breaks each day and a Saturday evening cocktail reception as well.

The host hotel (separate registration) will again be $79 single or $89 double including one or two breakfast per day included in that rate. The overflow hotel will be the Holiday Inn O'Hare and shuttle service will be provided.

We are thrilled to add afternoon smaller sessions for 60 to 80 people in addition to our larger meeting rooms for 250 and 300. These smaller rooms will allow for more hands on seminars for both rookies and experts alike.

Hotel and Seminar Registration will begin later this week. We look forward to seeing you all sooner than you think at the fourth annual Chicago Seminars. Mark your calendars today for the premier gathering of the travel space each year.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:31 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 2 Million Mile Flyer, LifeTime Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
How do I sign up for Chicago weekend Oct11-13 2013?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:58 am

Hotel Rooms

Currently there are zero non-smoking rooms available at the seminar hotel.

Just registered for the seminar, then tried to book a room for two. No joy.

Looks like a $20 donation in my future.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by msg53
How do I sign up for Chicago weekend Oct11-13 2013?
Post # 3 has the link to sign-up for the seminar & post # 2 has the link to book hotel.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by chemist661

chemist661, will keep fingers crossed that round 2 of chemo works & you'll be able to join us again.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jons623
Currently there are zero non-smoking rooms available at the seminar hotel.

Just registered for the seminar, then tried to book a room for two. No joy.

Looks like a $20 donation in my future.
Did you have no success w/ booking for 2, or booking a non-smoking room? I'd probably go ahead & book, and then contact the hotel re: non-smoking.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.