Reload this Page >

Chicago Seminars October 11-13th, 2013-Registration SOLD OUT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars October 11-13th, 2013-Registration SOLD OUT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
AA Discount Code Finally Available

Took a while to find the right door at AA but once we got in the process was very smooth!

Here are the details for making bookings via AA.com:

1. Travel between 10/8/2013 & 10/15/2013.
2. Travel on AA, Eagle & AA codeshares (except AS & Horizon Air).
3. Discount is 5% on most fares.
4. Enter "29H3AK" as AA.com Promotion Code.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Those that are subscribed to the CSE thread will be able to follow it wherever it resides, but if you're mentioning the Chicago Seminar Event to a FTer & they want more information, the new home for the thread is the newly created "External Miles & Points Resources" forum & not Community Buzz so direct them to that forum.

Cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:43 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Those that are subscribed to the CSE thread will be able to follow it wherever it resides, but if you're mentioning the Chicago Seminar Event to a FTer & they want more information, the new home for the thread is the newly created "External Miles & Points Resources" forum & not Community Buzz so direct them to that forum.

Cheers.
I wonder if the powers to be would consider leaving it in community buzz this year as that is where people have been following, and move next years event to this forum when registration starts in 2014?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
I wonder if the powers to be would consider leaving it in community buzz this year as that is where people have been following, and move next years event to this forum when registration starts in 2014?
I'm not a power-that-be, so you'd have to ask the CommunityDirector.

Cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:00 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
That's a reasonable request. I shall return this thread to Community. By 2014 when the next seminar is held, we'll welcome it in the new External Miles and Points Resources forum. Folks will have learned new habits and will know to expect it there.

Carol
Community Director
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
ive missed this before and am glad i now live in chicago. only problem, i dont know for how long octobers a ways away. will wait it out a bit to see what my current job works out. but will definitly be in if still in the area.

And im up to volunteering. Let me know.

Last edited by grbflyer; Apr 24, 2013 at 11:29 pm Reason: one more thing
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:54 am

Thinking I may want to attend this years seminar.
HI is booked as is overflow HI. Any ideas on that? If anyone wants to sell me their HI reservation, I would do that. Or is anyoe looking for a roommate
How far is HI from downtown Chicago and what are possible modes of transportation?
Also, is there a way to know which talks are already sold out?
Thanks
Deb
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
OK, I went to the FTU that was this past weekend, my first one, one thing I noticed was how unprepared some of the speakers were when they were presenting, lots of grasping for words. Also the audio was horrible couldn't hear most of the time since the microphone was placed too far away from the speakers mouth, hopefully this conference these issues wont be happening. Also would be asking to much to have handouts or printout of the powerpoints that the presenters will be using, LOTS of information given out and found myself missing a lot while taking notes. Also can we have out screen name on our badges since we do not know who Bob, terry or tony is, but we do know who SFO777, Eightback and Flightnurse is...
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by DRDebr61
How far is HI from downtown Chicago and what are possible modes of transportation?
Unless you are renting a car or ride sharing, Downtown Chicago is too far away. You would have to catch the hotel shuttle or a cab back to the airport to get on the train. The hotel is about 15-20 min on the shuttle and then a 45min train ride. Other option is bus/train combo from hotel which is bout 90 min and a minimum of 2 transfers.

Originally Posted by DRDebr61
Also, is there a way to know which talks are already sold out?
Thanks
Deb
When you go to register, the sold out seminars wont be selectable
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta - Platinium Medallion
I'm excited!! This will be my 1st DO! Many thanks in advance to everyone who is willing to share their knowledge!

Ambition
Old May 1, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Looking for a room at host hotel to save marriage

If anyone knows of any cancellations, please send me a message. I have reservations at the host hotel the night before and the night after the seminar and I would like to avoid moving. My spouse is attending and the host hotel would be more convenient than the Westin (where we are booked now) for him to come and go. If not, he may not see me for 2 days !
Old May 2, 2013, 10:09 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
OK, I went to the FTU that was this past weekend, my first one, one thing I noticed was how unprepared some of the speakers were when they were presenting, lots of grasping for words. Also the audio was horrible couldn't hear most of the time since the microphone was placed too far away from the speakers mouth, hopefully this conference these issues wont be happening. Also would be asking to much to have handouts or printout of the powerpoints that the presenters will be using, LOTS of information given out and found myself missing a lot while taking notes. Also can we have out screen name on our badges since we do not know who Bob, terry or tony is, but we do know who SFO777, Eightback and Flightnurse is...
It is a shame that some speakers were unprepared. No excuse for that. My experience with the Chicago Seminars is that the seminars were excellent and the speakers were quite well-prepared.

I do think it would be asking too much though for handouts. I know when I have given my presentation at the Chicago Seminars, I don't want to give out handouts. I will send people a portion of the presentation by EMail, but not the entire presentation. Some people take photos of some of the slides. Often some tips and tricks are shared that speakers don't want publicly shared in a way that is easily reproducable, and I totally understand that.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fti
It is a shame that some speakers were unprepared. No excuse for that. My experience with the Chicago Seminars is that the seminars were excellent and the speakers were quite well-prepared.

I do think it would be asking too much though for handouts. I know when I have given my presentation at the Chicago Seminars, I don't want to give out handouts. I will send people a portion of the presentation by EMail, but not the entire presentation. Some people take photos of some of the slides. Often some tips and tricks are shared that speakers don't want publicly shared in a way that is easily reproducable, and I totally understand that.
I understand, but from what I was seeing most of the presenters were using info from thier website, so nothing really was new, for someone new to this hobby, it would have made things click easier...
Old May 3, 2013, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
1) Also would be asking to much to have handouts or printout of the powerpoints that the presenters will be using... 2)Also can we have out screen name on our badges since we do not know who Bob, terry or tony is, but we do know who SFO777, Eightback and Flightnurse is...
1. Assuming the speakers are even willing to do it, how much do you think should be added to the cost of the seminar to receive the handouts? Given there are 450'ish attendees, that's a lot of paper being copied/costs $$. And even if sent electronically, still takes a lot of time.

When I've sat in on sessions (rare, since I'm usually busy selling charity raffle tickets) some of the attendees agreed to share their notes with each other. That may be more feasible.

2. I like having handles as well as names. I'm bad at remembering names, but pretty good at handles. I'm going from memory here, but I think the Chicago name tags do have handles.

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:16 am
Used to be diaworld

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Last year at Chicago our nametags had our Twitter/FT handles, and some of us at FTUDC took the extra step of putting our Twitter pics on our nametags, which was VERY helpful! Just bought my ticket, can't wait to catch up with everyone again!

Last edited by The Deal Mommy; May 17, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.