Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars October 11-13th, 2013-Registration SOLD OUT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Does it matter? The organizers of this conference have come up with their registration procedures. What other conferences do isn't really relevant to what the organizers of this conference have chosen.
And I'm providing my feedback. I don't agree with the registration procedures. There's also a duopoly on these types of conferences, and a monopoly when it comes to certain events/speakers. This particular event will sell out at least 3 months in advance if last year wasn't a fluke, and to just change a name costs $20 if your plans change? Add to the fact that certain seminars will be closed to those who don't sign up in advance ... it just seems consumer-unfriendly.

People can choose to attend if they think the conference will be of good value to them & they're ok w/ the registration procedures. If they don't think the conference will be of value to them and/or the registration procedure bothers them that much, then of course they can take a pass.
I am actually scheduled to be in Chicago that weekend for a separate event, and am considering attending this as well (although, like I said, plans can change). I'm just voicing my concern and displeasure with the registration procedures, and looking out for newbies.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:14 pm

I finally got my ticket reserved tonight. Now I just need to talk the wife into going again!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:25 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Amolkold

your five posts in this thread are duly noted. Thank you.

" just looking out for the newbies" I love that line. I think the newbies can make their own decision about the $20 transfer fee just fine

Each transfer must be done manually, including backing the old registrant out of each of their seminars, and adding the new ones to the roster. In addition we have individuals sign waivers that must also be sent out manually.

We are trying to keep the cost down to our attendees and have been able to keep the price at $85 instead of reaching the $100 mark.

Maybe you'd like to volunteer to help Howie do all these manually out of the goodness of your heart, as the money is going to charity, not in his pocket?

Or, you are free to volunteer next year with a better system, we would love to have you.

Can we move on, now?

Last edited by ingy; Mar 11, 2013 at 7:22 pm
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by amolkold
And I'm providing my feedback. I don't agree with the registration procedures.....I'm just voicing my concern and displeasure with the registration procedures, and looking out for newbies.
I think everyone has figured out you don't like the registration procedures.

However, the organizers have determined this is the procedure that best works for this conference. If it bugs you that much, then don't attend. If you still think the conference holds value then sign up. Everyone should do the same; ie, do what's best for them. I'm not involved w/ registration, so don't have a dog in this hunt really.

Fwiw -unless all the newbies have appointed you their spokesman I think you should let them speak for themselves, both pros and cons. Just sayin...

Cheers.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
I've yet to see scalping an issue w/ ORD DO but here's a recent comment about FTU (bolding mine):
I saw that before. My take on it was the organizers were doing a pounding on their chest. Look how cool we are. My personal take was a you do a disservice to your other attendees by allowing that to happen. But that's their conference/not this one and they've allowed to run it as they wish. Just as this one can run the way the organizers wish.

Cheers
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: ??????????
Wow - just wow.

Guess Howie's going to have to order some wrist bands

Cheers.
Hmn, what color?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:25 pm
Original Member

I'm in and excited about it. And in keeping with the seminar theme I will be traveling on UAL first class to ORD and return to PWM in economy plus single emergency row seat for 37,500 miles and $56.50 all in.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:30 pm

...$20 to change a name on a ticket, though? I understand you want to protect against people buying tons and selling at a profit, though I doubt that happens with a hobbyist seminar meetup. It's 7 months until the seminars and plans change...
Couple of things:

1) This is the first year transfers are offered. If you'd prefer we can easily go back to no transfers ... that's a lot easier.
2) The $20 charge (which is being passed 100% to the donations we make to charity after the event) is purely because I've got to do a few manual things to make sure we stay compliant with payment, registration, and legal concerns.

payment - need to generate a unique registration URL with a $0 charge.

registration / legal - need to remove other attendee and ensure the new attendee fills out the form completely and signs the applicable waiver.

Could we have simply done this without charging? Sure. A little effort on my side, a few bucks out of your pocket, and in the end our charities win.

Whether or not you care about the details of why the charge came about you now have the reasoning. I'm sorry if it troubles you.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by HariBlue108
I'm pretty excited about this event, especially as I'll be a local by the time the event comes around. Looking forward to learning some great ideas and networking with other like minded folks...this should be a fun event!

Thanks Rick/Howie/Sharon and all the speakers involved who are taking the time and effort to share strategies, tips and tricks to make travel more affordable and HELPING US BEAT THE AIRLINES AND BANKS AT THEIR OWN GAME! That alone to me is priceless!
... and my friends say I don't like sports. This game is my sport! ^
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by eddyatft
Is there a short description about each session?
I am curious about "Managing Family Accounts with Howie" and will like to know a bit more detail about it.
There isn't ... and to be honest I haven't begun putting the session together. That said, as the person that handles miles and points for everyone in my family I'll talk through the strategies I used to manage 20+ peoples accounts in 5 households across the country. Airline, hotel, rental car, ban rewards points, and credit card churning schedules!
  • Spreadsheets I use
  • Online Tools (and services) I use (pay & free)
  • Recommendations I make and why
  • yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda

If there is something in specific you'd like to know about ... let me know! ([email protected])
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:44 pm

And I'm providing my feedback. I don't agree with the registration procedures. There's also a duopoly on these types of conferences, and a monopoly when it comes to certain events/speakers. This particular event will sell out at least 3 months in advance if last year wasn't a fluke, and to just change a name costs $20 if your plans change? Add to the fact that certain seminars will be closed to those who don't sign up in advance ... it just seems consumer-unfriendly.

I am actually scheduled to be in Chicago that weekend for a separate event, and am considering attending this as well (although, like I said, plans can change). I'm just voicing my concern and displeasure with the registration procedures, and looking out for newbies.
Amol -

I do hope you choose to attend and take a few minutes to chat directly with me about registration. I'm the geek behind it, and would really appreciate any thoughts / suggestions / recommendations you have for the future to help make the event better for everyone.

Howie
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:50 pm

Howie, thanks for the reply.
To be frankly at the moment I am deciding between your session or the SkyPeso.
I am currently managing the family acct (2 adults and 3 kids). I am looking to maximize points collection and usage, especially for hotels, we need two rooms at the very least to sleep comfortably most of the time

Probably should just go to your session instead of Delta. I almost gave up on Delta... their redemption is super hard and expensive.

Originally Posted by hdawg
There isn't ... and to be honest I haven't begun putting the session together. That said, as the person that handles miles and points for everyone in my family I'll talk through the strategies I used to manage 20+ peoples accounts in 5 households across the country. Airline, hotel, rental car, ban rewards points, and credit card churning schedules!
  • Spreadsheets I use
  • Online Tools (and services) I use (pay & free)
  • Recommendations I make and why
  • yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda

If there is something in specific you'd like to know about ... let me know! ([email protected])
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
your five posts in this thread are duly noted. Thank you.

" just looking out for the newbies" I love that line. I think the newbies can make their own decision about the $20 transfer fee just fine
If you're , I was referring to the fact that in order to have all the seminar options open, one has to sign up earlier than most other registrants, especially since the "deadline" isn't September, it's when tickets sell out (which was July last year, per my experience missing out on getting a ticket last year). The fee is a penalty for signing up early and having plans change, as opposed to waiting when one is sure of their plans but missing out on more popular seminars.

But I'll save my breath.

Fwiw -unless all the newbies have appointed you their spokesman I think you should let them speak for themselves, both pros and cons. Just sayin...
Not spokesman, just consultant. I was a newbie not too long ago and I sense that some of the more "entrenched" members of FT forget what it was like to be a newbie.

I do hope you choose to attend and take a few minutes to chat directly with me about registration. I'm the geek behind it, and would really appreciate any thoughts / suggestions / recommendations you have for the future to help make the event better for everyone.
Sounds fair. Booked my ticket as well as award hotel nights in Chicago. I'm holding you to that chat
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:13 am

I I sense that some of the more "entrenched" members of FT forget what it was like to be a newbie.
Can't speak for others, but I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to miles & points & I've been traveling a long time. You learn something every day, whether on FT or at ORD Sem Do - and you get to meet a lot of great people!

Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Hmn, what color?
You better color code the wrist bands to seminars for which one enrols.

Heck, your pay is so good...you can stay up nights doing it !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.