Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by zkor
מזל טוב דוב! זהבה ממסצ'וסטס
...תודה רבה זהבה
but you really had me going trying to figure out where your Israeli town is until it suddenly hit me!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
You mean דובסטר, right?
Actually, given how I spell my name it would be דבסטר.

Last edited by Dovster; Nov 14, 2012 at 1:52 pm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Dovster
Actually, given how I spell my name it would be SIZE="4"]דבסטר[/SIZE].
You are really being such a bear about this...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
I know that I am late but is it too late to confirm my attendance? If so I will loose my mind ().
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
I know that I am late but is it too late to confirm my attendance? If so I will loose my mind ().
Get a grip on it!

I am moving you to the "Definite" list but ysolde is still working on the deli reservation, so I cannot guarantee how many people will be allowed.

I hope to hear from her soon -- and to see you there.

(As it appears that I will be greatly outnumbered by the OmniLibs, I am wondering if I should sit all of you on the left side of the room while I, of course, sit on the far right.)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt. RewardsNetwork dining.
I'll plan on it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
twenty six meshigena's are listed to come and eat sandwich with Dovster for his birthday... well, you don't have to be Jewish to say ouy vei...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flights booked! I arrive into JFK at 9:39 AM on the 11th and depart at 9 PM out of LGA which should give me plenty of time for fun times. Gotta love the fares...$79 o/w on UA, $59 o/w on AA!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:40 am
Original Poster

The time and place are set!

2nd Avenue Deli was unable to take us as they simply do not have room for such a large group, but Ben's Kosher Deli, 209 W. 38th St (between Fashion Avenue/aka 7th Ave and 8th Ave) gave me the reservation with no problem.

Well, not exactly with no problem. I had wanted it for 12 noon, they had preferred 2 or 3 pm, but when I explained that a number of our people will be flying in just for this and have return flights they have to catch, they agreed to 1 pm.

The reservation is currently for 30 people, but this can be changed up until a few days before the Do. So if we have anyone who wants to be on the "Definite" list, we should be good up to about 40 people. (We currently have 27.)

We will be using the regular menu, each person will be free to order whatever he wants, and there will be separate checks.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Sounds good to me! Easy access to the subway too and I already know how good Ben's Best is.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: DL-KRYPTONIUM, DL-PM, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Silver, Hyatt Plat.
With great sadness, disappointment and much agnst, I will have to bow out. I'll be in AMS on the 11th on my way to IST on the 12th. I really wanted to meet all of you and share the joy of the holiday but will just not be possible. Hopefully, I'll be at the 2nd Annual Hanukah Do. Have a great time and take & post pictures!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Dovster
2nd Avenue Deli was unable to take us as they simply do not have room for such a large group, but Ben's Kosher Deli, 209 W. 38th St (between Fashion Avenue/aka 7th Ave and 8th Ave) gave me the reservation with no problem.
Because Ben’s Kosher Deli “pickles” their own corned beef, does anyone want to split an extra-lean corned beef sandwich and an extra-lean pastrami sandwich where we can each have half of both?

Comparing menus, Ben’s Kosher Deli is less expensive than 2nd Ave Deli:
  • A bowl of matzo ball soup costs $4.79 at Ben’s Kosher Deli, while at 2nd Ave Deli it costs $7.50 — both before taxes.
  • An extra-lean pastrami sandwich costs $12.99 at Ben’s Kosher Deli, while at 2nd Ave Deli it costs $17.95 — both before taxes.
  • A potato knish costs $3.49 at Ben’s Kosher Deli, while at 2nd Ave Deli it costs $5.50 — both before taxes.
  • A potato latke costs $3.49 at Ben’s Kosher Deli, while at 2nd Ave Deli it costs $5.95 — both before taxes.
  • A can of Dr. Brown’s cream soda costs $1.99 at Ben’s Kosher Deli, while at 2nd Ave Deli it costs $2.95 — both before taxes.

The entire order would cost $26.75 at Ben’s Kosher Deli versus $39.85 at 2nd Ave Deli — a savings of $13.10 before taxes.

However, what is the comparison of quality and portion size between Ben’s Kosher Deli versus 2nd Ave Deli?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
However, what is the comparison of quality and portion size between Ben’s Kosher Deli versus 2nd Ave Deli?
I am in no position to judge but I am going to go out on a limb and say that the can of Dr. Brown's cream soda is of the same size and quality.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Ben's has a Ben's Friends reward points card...with two dozen FlyerTalkers forecast to be present, I sense a rash of applications being submitted on December 11th...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
Ben's has a Ben's Friends reward points card...with two dozen FlyerTalkers forecast to be present, I sense a rash of applications being submitted on December 11th...
Ben's also is part of the Rewards Network (which includes Delta SkyDine). Oddly, however, it seems not to give credit two days every week -- and not the same two days. It will be another week or two before we know whether the credit will be given on Dec 11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.