Search

First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Hannuka Do! NYC 11th December

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
You are not implying that kipper is fast, are you?
No, but I am hoping (never having seen her) that she is yummy.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:37 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
You laughed.

Admit it.
I did, and I will admit that I enjoyed the DL thread too.
Originally Posted by Dovster
It is forbidden to eat lox (or anything else) on yum kipper.

Old Sep 20, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
I never knew you have taste buds in your eyes!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:06 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

With kipper and HumbleBee tuna fish posting, this discussion is becoming very fishy.

Perhaps it is time to lox this thread...
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
I don't get it.
Please accept my apologies for the rye humor — apparently, it did not cut the mustard this time...
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I never knew you have taste buds in your eyes!
...and please do not talk about what the other body parts of the Dovster can and cannot do.

I just hope he does not order a tongue sandwich at 2nd Ave Deli — that could be a potentially dangerous weapon in his hands...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:25 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Please add me as a maybe. Will know closer to the date.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcl
Please add me as a maybe. Will know closer to the date.
Done -- hopefully you will be able to join us.

I would expect that most people will either confirm or drop out about a month in advance, so that ysolde will be able to make arrangements with the restaurant.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:45 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Please accept my apologies for the rye humor — apparently, it did not cut the mustard this time......
*groan*
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Done and done -- and I hope that you both can make it.

(It also looks like our group is growing so much that ysolde will have to make the reservations about a month in advance.)
We may have to rent out the whole place.

L'shana tova, everyone!!!!

And good shabbos!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Request: As soon as you know that you will definitely be attending, or, conversely, not attending, please post that here.

I would like to ask ysolde to make the arrangements on/around Nov 11, and she will have to have a solid estimation of how many people will be attending.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Wonderful! You are our fourth "definite". One more and this will become an official Do.

Do you have any recommendations for a kosher Deli? (Not a kosher-style Deli like Katz.)
Just would like to set the record straight as you asked for a Kosher Deli

Although the 2nd Ave Deli does have Kosher certification from an independant supervising agency, one which is not recognized by mainstream Orthodox Jewry, it is open on Shabbat and therefore would be unacceptable to most Orthodox Jews. This is the reason that they cannot get any major agency to give them a Hashgacha (certificate of supervision)

I am no way implying that the actual food is not Kosher when it enters the restaurant or possibly even after being prepared and cooked.

All I am trying to say is that for some the restaurant might not be acceptable, myself included
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by badatz
Just would like to set the record straight as you asked for a Kosher Deli

Although the 2nd Ave Deli does have Kosher certification from an independant supervising agency, one which is not recognized by mainstream Orthodox Jewry, it is open on Shabbat and therefore would be unacceptable to most Orthodox Jews. This is the reason that they cannot get any major agency to give them a Hashgacha (certificate of supervision)

I am no way implying that the actual food is not Kosher when it enters the restaurant or possibly even after being prepared and cooked.

All I am trying to say is that for some the restaurant might not be acceptable, myself included
You are right. Of course, since living in Israel I have found that some Ultra-Orthodox Jews won't even accept a Hashgacha issued by the Chief Rabbinute. It is impossible, unfortunately, to satisfy everyone.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'll let Dovster answer, but he's look for the style of food or preparation, not necessarily the certification.

I prefer food from a kosher deli, even kosher-style, rather than a deli that happens to serve similar food.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
You are right. Of course, since living in Israel I have found that some Ultra-Orthodox Jews won't even accept a Hashgacha issued by the Chief Rabbinute. It is impossible, unfortunately, to satisfy everyone.
Agreed, it is up to everyone to decide what is okay for them. Just wanted to get the facts known in order to make an intelligent decision
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by badatz
Agreed, it is up to everyone to decide what is okay for them. Just wanted to get the facts known in order to make an intelligent decision
That's fine with me. I suspect, however, that our big problem is not going to be the degree of how kosher a deli is but rather getting a reservation for the 20 or so people who I expect to be attending.

If 2nd Avenue can't/won't agree, then we will try Ben's. If that doesn't work, we will look elsewhere. In the end, if left with no other choice, we may have to accept a place like Katz's, even if it is not kosher.

I'm looking, chiefly, for a restaurant which serve the kind of kosher-style East European food which I got used to in kosher delis in Brooklyn as a child.

As this Do will be in the States, and the overwhelming majority of American Jews are Reform or Conservative (not to mention that many attending will not be Jewish at all), I think that the authenticity of the food, and the atmosphere of the restaurant, will be more important to them than the degree of kashrut.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Dov - IIRC, the only true kosher deli left in NYC, that also cures it's own meats, is the Mill Basin Deli in Brooklyn. I'm lucky to have grown up eating that food.

It is unlikely anyone will want to make the trek to it in the middle of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.