Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Hannuka Do! NYC 11th December

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Dovster
(I certainly hope that ShopAround can work it out to join us for lunch.)
I will do my best to get away for a couple of hours. The deli is exactly 11 blocks from me, which helps.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by ShopAround
I will do my best to get away for a couple of hours. The deli is exactly 11 blocks from me, which helps.
Hey! You gotta have lunch somewhere and 11 blocks North-South in Manhattan is a hop, skip, and jump.

Last edited by Dovster; Aug 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:04 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Dovster
Alas, Katz's is not kosher.
Well, Katz’s Deli is open during Shabbos and serves treif as well as dairy products alongside the meat products, so of course they are not Kosher...

...but in my opinion, Katz’s Deli is one of the very few places whose corned beef and pastrami are otherwise as good as identical products from a Kosher delicatessen — even though they are not blessed by a moshgiach — and therefore are just as sought after by me as traditional real Kosher delicatessen food.

I would otherwise usually not patronize a “Kosher-style” establishment, but Katz’s Deli is an exception for me.

I am really looking forward to meeting and eating at the 2nd Ave Deli...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I plan on ordering an extra-lean pastrami sandwich on rye bread with plenty of deli mustard, half of a potato knish, half of a potato latke, a bowl of matzoh ball soup with lukshon and carrots, sour and half-sour pickles, and a Dr. Brown’s cream soda with no ice for lunch on December 11 if someone is willing to share the knish and the potato latke with me.
You are man after my own heart. I would share your knish and latke anytime. (Although I admit I'm more of a kreplach than a knaidlach girl.)

And I wouldn't dream of drinking anything but a Dr. Brown's cream soda at a deli.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Given your definition above, put me down as a definite.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethb
Given your definition above, put me down as a definite.
Done.

Just to be clear, right now a "definite" is a person who believes the odds are very good that he will be there but realizes that December is a long time away and anything can happen between now and then.

I would ask people to raise/lower the descriptions of themselves the closer we get to Dec 11. I would say that by Nov 11, you should have a very good idea if you will be attending and that two weeks later there should be almost no question in your mind.

This is the only way that we will be able to make reservations at the deli.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
I'm actually in NY on the 11th but teaching a class on Staten Island that day. If anything is planned for that evening or even on Wed Dec 12 I'd love to meet up with you.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I think at the moment I'm "possible". I've got a pretty long trip scheduled the next day and may be too crazed from last minute stuff to join. Although crazed with this group is a positive attribute.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
FWIW when we had the LGA DO back in March, we dined at Ben's Best Delicatessen in Rego Park, and they didn't have a problem with giving each of us an individual check.

Also, Dov -- please add me to the Possible List -- there is a small chance I may return to NYC by the time of this DO

-J.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Also, Dov -- please add me to the Possible List -- there is a small chance I may return to NYC by the time of this DO
So, the "Possible List" list is the "I probably won't be able to come but put me down as someone you should miss if I don't make it list" list?

I have every intention of being there, and short of discovering a MR-worthy fare to let me get the last 18,000 miles I need for 1K at or below $200 that coincides explicitly with this date, I should be a little bit more definite than Mr. -J.

In that case, move me to the "Definite List" list.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

FWIW when we had the LGA DO back in March, we dined at Ben's Best Delicatessen in Rego Park, and they didn't have a problem with giving each of us an individual check.

-J.
I have arranged a number of Do's and found that most restaurants prefer having a single tab because it is easier for their wait staff (and, I suspect, because they feel that the total bill will be bigger as nobody wants to order something inexpensive when he is going to wind up paying the same percentage).

However, if you let them know that they will lose the entire group without separate bills they will give in. After all, if the same restaurant can give separate bills to 20 people who come in by themselves, they can give it to 20 who come in together.

Originally Posted by jackal
So, the "Possible List" list is the "I probably won't be able to come but put me down as someone you should miss if I don't make it list" list?

I have every intention of being there, and short of discovering a MR-worthy fare to let me get the last 18,000 miles I need for 1K at or below $200 that coincides explicitly with this date, I should be a little bit more definite than Mr. -J.

Done.

Bennos, we won't be finishing too late -- at most, this will be a late lunch. I hope that makes it easier for you to attend. In the meantime, you are on the "possible" list.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by jackal

LOL Today I found out that many students finish their finals early -- sometimes well before the official start date of finals. I don't know my schedule that far out yet but I may get lucky and be able to go home early Not to mention it would be a heck of a lot cheaper for me to go home then than later in the month (i.e. closer to the holidays).

-J.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
LOL Today I found out that many students finish their finals early -- sometimes well before the official start date of finals. I don't know my schedule that far out yet but I may get lucky and be able to go home early Not to mention it would be a heck of a lot cheaper for me to go home then than later in the month (i.e. closer to the holidays).

-J.
I'd say only 10% of my classes, maybe less, actually didn't make me work all the way through the end of finals. I wouldn't count on it, but every school (and professor) is different. Good luck!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
So looking forward to meeting all of you!!!!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ysolde
So looking forward to meeting all of you!!!!
Actually, the only ones really worth meeting are me and that bimbo, Sara Lee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.