Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Visit A Nation's Capital Do - May 7-9 (2010) a DC-Do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How will you pay for this Do? (Payment is due within 2 weeks of Registration)
paypal?
52.00%
check?
44.00%
cash?
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Visit A Nation's Capital Do - May 7-9 (2010) a DC-Do

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/300.21.012; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

greetings from breast cancer walk! Marine one just flew by! Bellies for breasts are entertaining us. I think i still have red wine in my system. Eek! Sorry for early wake up calls to some folk -grin. See you at brunch. Cheerd
Old May 9, 2010, 8:53 am
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
It looks like I could have made the brunch today -- my parents are stuck in Munich (Eyjafjallajökull strikes again).

Thank you, everyone, for a great weekend, and a major ^ to United and MWAA for the superb tour of IAD. I now hate the airport a little bit less.
Old May 9, 2010, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend - safe travels home
Old May 9, 2010, 3:06 pm

Am at DCA right now waiting for flight. Had a fantabulous weekend - thanks so much for organizing a great event from start to finish!!!

I've taken so many pictures it will take a while to get them all uploaded, although I'll have a start during my 3-hour layover at ORD.

Cheers.
Old May 9, 2010, 3:22 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

We also wanted to thank the organizers for a great time - it was amazing from the gift bag waiting in the room, to Hillwood, to the dinner.
Old May 9, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Thanks to everybody for making this a great weekend! Safe journeys home (or wherever your airline of choice takes you)!
Old May 9, 2010, 4:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Brunch today was fun and the IAD Air and Space Musuem tour kicked serious butt.

Our docent took us on the "short" tour which ran longer than the "long" tour because we all had so many questions.

A part of the tour was going up to the observation tower with an IAD Air Route Traffic Controller who would show us planes landing and explain what the process was all about. And, of course, most of us were pretty familiar with how this sort of stuff works.

The first plane he pointed out was a United Express plane landing right past our windows. He said "Notice the nose down position as he approaches the runway. It's evident that the pilot is lined up with the runway and is happy with his approach. As he nears touch down, you'll note that he raises the nose as he lands."

As soon as he said this, the plane, now only 25 feet off the runway, shoots back into the air in a missed approach! It was almost as if the controller had set this up.

He thought it might be a deer on the runway as we couldn't see anything else blocking the runway. He got on the walkie-talkie to see what was up and it seems the aircraft received a wind shear warning just prior to touchdown. The winds were blowing at nearly 30 mph diagonally across the active runway at the time.

Anyway, that was our excitement for the afternoon.

It was great seeing old friends and meeting new ones. We're in the area for a couple more days before we head back to the Left Coast.

Wishing you all safe travels.
Old May 9, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
My thanks as well to the organizing team for making this such a perfect FT event.
Old May 9, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
What a fantastic DO!! It was nice to see some familiar faces and meet some new people!

Thanks so much for everyone who put in time to plan this DO (especially GoingAway and gvdIAD). Also, special thanks to United and MWAA for hosting us at IAD and giving us such an incredible tour!!!

I have posted my photos here: http://www.gpalcher.com/Flyertalk/DC-DO/12124188_2dSJm

Hope everyone has a safe trip home
Old May 9, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Loved the pics. The only thing some of them remind me to much of work
Old May 9, 2010, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Awesome pics!

I'm so bummed to be arriving in D.C. a weekend too late!!!
Old May 9, 2010, 7:32 pm

OMG - I'm at ORD & looking at pics that I took in the last few days. There are a few hundred of them!!!! Unless I can figure out how to upload them in a batch, it's going to take a few days for me to get them up becuase I - oh yeah novel thought - actually have to get back to work.

Decided that I'm going to do them in different links as some folk might be interested in dif things - ie, the Cap Do FT photos, Hillwood, Udvar-Hazey Museum, breast cancer walk, rather than put them all into a single link.

Cheers.
Old May 9, 2010, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have updated the SECOND link of the thread to include links to any/all photo sites that are posted ...
Old May 9, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I've got a short video that I shot at brunch. Anyone have a site to host it? (mov format, 328 MB in size).
Old May 9, 2010, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I've got a short video that I shot at brunch. Anyone have a site to host it? (mov format, 328 MB in size).
I think webshots can take it ... shoot it over and I'll try

My first set of photos uploaded
GAs Friday Night Dinner Pics
Hillwood Pics
Saturday Night at Zengo

Last edited by GoingAway; May 9, 2010 at 9:19 pm Reason: more pic links

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.