Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Visit A Nation's Capital Do - May 7-9 (2010) a DC-Do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How will you pay for this Do? (Payment is due within 2 weeks of Registration)
paypal?
52.00%
check?
44.00%
cash?
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Visit A Nation's Capital Do - May 7-9 (2010) a DC-Do

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Is there street parking or similar available close/nearby tonight's restaurant?
Old May 8, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Yesterday's IAD tour was very impressive and I'm very thankful for the time and effort both United and the airport management put into this.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by heffa
You can check out the first post of this thread and/or the handout in your goodie bag for all sorts of useful info
Old May 8, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
No. This is an extremely busy area (think NYC Times Square on a small scale). If you could get a street spot - the meters run until 10:30pm at (8 quarters or $2 per hour).

This is a block from the Verizon Center. There are some pay lots in the area, but your best bet is to take Metro to Gallery Place. Get out at 7th and Hth St. The restaurant is next to the H St exit on 7th St. This is in the heart of China town.

Address: 781 7th Street NW, Washington, DC 20001, USA
Phone: (202) 393-2929

You can also walk 3 or 4 blocks over from Metro Center train station.

I boarded the yellow line at this station (Gallery Place) last night and the place was packed on Friday night and lots of police and heavy traffic. Also people in hand cuffs for DUI.

You might consider parking in say Dupont Circle and taking red line down to Metro Center - but then you have the meter issue, unless you can get a residental parking space. Another option would be to park in Virginia and take the Orange Line down.
Old May 8, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
It is difficult but not impossible, depending on how close you feel you need to be. In general, the further north and east from the venue you go, the better your odds of finding a spot. There are definitely meters along K and M Streets (sort of around what used to be the Museum of D.C. History that closed and is now used just for special events) between say 8th and 5th. There are also a couple of pay lots in that area. The catch is that the greater likelihood of parking is in neighborhoods that some may find a bit scary.

If you are taking the metro and parking at a metro station, be aware that most require a Smart Trip card to pay for the parking. A few (e.g. West Falls Church) allow the use of a credit card.
Old May 8, 2010, 2:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
The Hillwood Museum Tour/Luncheon was very enjoyable and very well organized as has been the norm at this DO. Quite impressive.

We even had "waterboys" who circulated among the FT'ers from time to time offering some very welcome H2O.

Looking forward to tonight's dinner,
Old May 8, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Cholula
The Hillwood Museum Tour/Luncheon was very enjoyable and very well organized as has been the norm at this DO. Quite impressive.
It was outstanding. I would like to thank our organizers for the effort they have put in to make this a success.
Old May 8, 2010, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
So it looks like I'm going to make it back home to DCA earlier than expected. I know I'm not registered and everything is 'sold out' but would it be inappropriate to drop in on brunch to say hello, even if no seats available to stay/join?
Old May 8, 2010, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by gleff
So it looks like I'm going to make it back home to DCA earlier than expected. I know I'm not registered and everything is 'sold out' but would it be inappropriate to drop in on brunch to say hello, even if no seats available to stay/join?
Text sent pls respond or let me know if you don't get it
Old May 8, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Beware DC, I arrived!

I'm here! It looks like I could escape to the ash cloud by hours, as BCN was closed at 10 AM...

Checked in at the hotel, goodie bag in place, including a special kit for the longhaul showered, shaved, and ready to go!

See you all @ Zengo!
Old May 8, 2010, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dragonfirebcn
I'm here! It looks like I could escape to the ash cloud by hours, as BCN was closed at 10 AM...

Checked in at the hotel, goodie bag in place, including a special kit for the longhaul showered, shaved, and ready to go!

See you all @ Zengo!
YAY!!
Old May 8, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Plenty of parking @ 801 Eye St, below the Renaissance. We're @ the 1st floor bar for cocktail hour.
Old May 8, 2010, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by GoingAway

Text sent pls respond or let me know if you don't get it
text sent in reply!
Old May 8, 2010, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I hope everyone enjoyed dinner tonight - and thanks for doing such a good job settling your drink tabs at the tables! Great having a chance to spend time with friends and meet new friends
Old May 8, 2010, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good luck to the Flyertalkers (sharon, aaron, yana, jen, trent and gene - hope I got you all) who will be walking with Team United on Sunday AM in support of the fight against cancer. You all have done us proud and made a huge contribution to such an important cause. Enjoy the beautiful but chilly morning!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.