Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Visit A Nation's Capital Do - May 7-9 (2010) a DC-Do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How will you pay for this Do? (Payment is due within 2 weeks of Registration)
paypal?
52.00%
check?
44.00%
cash?
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Visit A Nation's Capital Do - May 7-9 (2010) a DC-Do

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 8:41 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

One of the best FT events I've ever attended. Many thanks to GoingAway, MWAA and United for making today memorable. ^
Old May 7, 2010, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by thegrailer
So where will the DO folks be enjoying beverages in a couple of hours - midnight-ish. Checked into the Hyatt on H st and need to finish some work (walked all the way from F St. whew!!!).

The Tune Inn is always fun for a low key drink
There are still folks at cap city (11 and H)
Old May 8, 2010, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

To all the IAD Tour attendees - if you would post your thoughts and thanks for the tour (and send whatever missives you would like) -- gvdIAD will be drafting a group thanks to WHQ and we will be sharing thanks with the IAD group, as well and would like to include the quotws and thanks from more than just the organizers. It was a terrific event from start to finish! Thanks!
Old May 8, 2010, 5:59 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Great tour, though its going way over came close to making me miss my
flight and subsequent really horrendous concert.

Thanks to GA for all she's done and for allowing me to come along on this
one event even though I couldn't make any of the others.
Old May 8, 2010, 6:13 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
And thanks to Aaron for the pictures.
Old May 8, 2010, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
As others have stated - the IAD tour rocked! Kudos to our hosts for making it a wonderful experience!!!!

I took 64 photos at IAD plus photos at Capitol Brewing Co, so it will probably take me a while to get them uploaded (does anyone know how to do batch uploading on Fotki vs one at a time???), and with so many activities that are planned for the Capitol Do might not get to it until my 3-hour layover at ORD tomorrow night, although I'll try before then.

On a sadder note - as some of you know, my beloved sister Cheryl who died of breast cancer last year & whose honor I'll be walking w/ United Team Dulles in the breast cancer walk tomorrow, had golden retrievers who also were the love of Cheryl & "Auntie Sharon's" life (my mousepad has a photo of all 3 goldens). My sister adored her goldens & they were of great comfort to her when she was ill, and Auntie Sharon spoiled her 'nieces' because that's what aunties do. Just received an email this morning that the 'baby', Clancy, who had been battling some type of illness had been misdiagnosed (who knew they could do that w/ dogs?) & she died yesterday. I know Clancy's only a dog, but she was part of the family & was too young to go, and she was so intertwined w/ my sister's life that it's a little bit like losing her again. Sorry - I'm a bit upset - just received the news.

Anyway, I will rally and I look forward to seeing everyone at Hillwood, dinner, brunch, etc, and I'll get those photos uploaded (and notes written for WMAA & United folk) as soon as I can.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by GoingAway

A quick note to just say United put on an awesome show for us today! Instead of ending at 2.30 as planned, we had to cut it off around 4.15, then good byes, etc and I just finished my mattress run check-in. I'll be a little late for the happy hour - gvdIAD should be there about on time to meet and greet. See you all in a bit
It was a fabulous tour of IAD. Very impressive.... and thanks to our UA and MWAA hosts for making it great. It did feel strange being at IAD with no bags.

My only regret is that I had a 3:30 conf. call and had to leave early.
Old May 8, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by GoingAway
To all the IAD Tour attendees - if you would post your thoughts and thanks for the tour (and send whatever missives you would like) -- gvdIAD will be drafting a group thanks to WHQ and we will be sharing thanks with the IAD group, as well and would like to include the quotws and thanks from more than just the organizers. It was a terrific event from start to finish! Thanks!
I'll say this:

I was very impressed with the tour, the time taken by both UA and MWAA management to make it happen and accompany us, and the obvious concern that UA has for passengers. I've had a rather negative view over the years of UA based on some horrific CS experiences... one thing that clearly came through was the concern of UA IAD management to see things from the customer perspective and improve them. It certainly has given me a new and improved view of UA.
Old May 8, 2010, 7:44 am

I've gotten the Capitol Brewing Co pictures uploaded.

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/fl...pitol-do-2010/

The IAD tour will have to wait until later today or tomorrow night, as my ride to Hillwood arrives in 15 minutes.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2010, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I'll say this:

I was very impressed with the tour, the time taken by both UA and MWAA management to make it happen and accompany us, and the obvious concern that UA has for passengers....one thing that clearly came through was the concern of UA IAD management to see things from the customer perspective and improve them. It certainly has given me a new and improved view of UA.
Agree 100%.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2010, 7:49 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
The time taken by both UA and MWAA management was very much appreciated. It was great to be able to meet with them and learn that they care very much about operations and customers. I think we all gained a much better understanding what goes into making each flying experience the best it can be. Kudos to all the managers, pilots and staff who gave up their afternoon to show us around. What a wonderful group of people. They didn't even think we were crazy to have photos taken in the engine and inside the hold.

Thanks most of all to GoingAway, gvdIAD, Condition One and all the DC FTers who worked so hard to make this a great experience. Great job! And that was only Day One!
Old May 8, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I'll say this:

I was very impressed with the tour, the time taken by both UA and MWAA management to make it happen and accompany us, and the obvious concern that UA has for passengers [....]
+1. I was impressed--by which I mean "geeked out"--over the IAD tour, but I was even more impressed by the time and effort airport and airline staff put into arranging this and then hearing us out. (If only MWAA had wrapped up their part by saying "oh, and by the way, we've just secured financing for a new C/D Terminal." Sigh.)

And, yes, it was great meeting people I'd only known as usernames here. See you all at brunch Sunday...
Old May 8, 2010, 8:45 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/300.21.012; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

on our way to hillwood. Getting a bit lost in dc! Have gone by a number of embaasies and they're quite busy already with the open houses.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I just opened the welcome package here in my hotel. Very impressive! Thank you. ^^
Old May 8, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Yes, the welcome package is very impressive. Thanks very much, organizers for doing this. This is quite lovely. +1 ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.